C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would your weapon of choice be if you had this amount of $$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:38 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would your weapon of choice be if you had this amount of $$$

Curious to see how some of the forum members whould do.
I listen to tuners but its neat to see what other people that have had 1st hand experience with different units.
Since the buyer of my Maggie backed out I had to let go of the TTi unit I was going to buy. So, if you had this amount of $$ what would you do???
Assume you had a Maggie..and about 5-6K to upgrade

1 Keep your Maggie and get a smaller pulley and forged 346ci ~510HP a lot of bottom torque

2 Sell the Maggie, get a used D1SC and get a forged motor ~600hP Good top end power

3 Sell the Maggie and get a large bore motor 408ci, 422ci A little of both low and top end but no FI

4 Sell the Maggie, get a TTi Stage 1 used and get a forged motor Decent throughout the power band.

I am not trying to start a war SC vs TT, just getting more views of all of you valued comments since I am back to stage 1 again. It gets a little overwelming at times...
Jon
Old 09-11-2004, 09:41 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Jon, you never did have that maggie working correctly before... if you were to reinstall it with a new engine, you may actually like what you have.

VR
Old 09-11-2004, 10:45 PM
JOHNNY P.
Drifting

Location: IF YOUR BIG DOLLAR PROJECT DOESN'T RUN 9'S OR BETTER ....BURN IT ! SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GRAB A LANE ! CHICAGO IL. -------- HOME OF THE FASTEST STREETCARS BARNONE !
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Forged Motor complimented with a Pro Charger would be my choice.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

TWin Turbo of you have the extra $$$$
Oh I had both and once you get into a turbo it's hard to do anything else IMHO.

Last edited by Z06GMAN; 09-11-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:26 AM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

I opt for the Mag, just love mine.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:32 AM
Red C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of the choices listed I would go with a forged motor and a D1. It will make the most power and be totally reliable with great street manners. The mag and and TTi aren't all that attracive just becasue they don't really make much power. Seems like you have to push them to the limit just to make low 500rwhp.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

you dont have enough $$ for the TT. Keep the Mag, get a smaller pulley, upgrade to the intercooler if you dont already have it, 21CMC blower cam, 35hp shot of Nitrous, and you STILL have enough $$ to forge the motor!!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:07 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Keep the Mag, get a smaller pulley, upgrade to the intercooler if you dont already have it, 21CMC blower cam, 35hp shot of Nitrous, and you STILL have enough $$ to forge the motor!!
True since I already have my N20 still hooked up. I already have the IC version.

Its basicly down to 2 options for me now after some very deep thought.

1. Keep the mag, go with a smaller pulley, bcool rad, blower cam and forged motor...Total cost is about 7500. (no motor to sell to recop some cost cause have to use it for exchange and new motor will run my current heads. I can sell my Z06 Cam for 150ish)

2. I was offered a 427 NEW MTI (Fully loaded), would be installed by MTI so I would get a 1 year warranty. It will stay NA so I can maintain the warranty. I can get the motor installed and out and deleveried to my door for $14000. I can sell the Maggie for 5000ish, I can sell my complete longblock for around 700ish. So total cost for me would be around 8300ish. So, for the addition 800 dollars I get a full warranty and same HP NA and its setup for the FI later if I choose...

I am sorry if I am bugging people, this is kinda me thinking outloud. This is a VERY expensive decsion for me so I really want to make sure I do it right..

Thanks for talking the time with me guys.
Jon
Old 09-12-2004, 10:18 PM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Xcel, how are you going to hook up on the street with any of your options? To me this is the big question, unless you are into high speed roll ons only?

Ps, I am frantically counting my schekels for that Maggie!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:18 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Originally Posted by XCELER8
Keep the mag, go with a smaller pulley, bcool rad, blower cam and forged motor...Total cost is about 7500. (no motor to sell to recop some cost cause have to use it for exchange and new motor will run my current heads. I can sell my Z06 Cam for 150ish)
Selling your blower is most likely not going to get you $5,000. Either way selling parts is a big PIA. Given your budget I would keep the MagnaCharger. How did you come up with your $7,500 figure? Also don't forget to add larger injectors and new tires to your budget.
Off the top of my head: $3,000 (forged short-block) + $1,000 (labor) + $500 (tuning) + $500 (injectors) + $400 (cam) + $100 (pulley). If my math is correct that is $5,500 + $?? (bcool). Don't forget a clutch. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of little things. It's definitely a lot of money, but, once you've gone fast there is no going back.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 09-12-2004, 11:48 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Off the top of my head: $3,000 (forged short-block) + $1,000 (labor) + $500 (tuning) + $500 (injectors) + $400 (cam) + $100 (pulley). If my math is correct that is $5,500 + $?? (bcool). Don't forget a clutch. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of little things. It's definitely a lot of money, but, once you've gone fast there is no going back.
Hey Mark,
The reason I came up with that number is both of my awesome local tuners came up for me installed/tuned/swaped with cam and fully forged.
As for tires, I get 3k a year worth of free Goodyear tires cause of my sponsorship with them.
As for hooking up, doesnt matter to me, just like to have fun.
Jon
Old 09-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Threat
Advanced

I would most definately opt for the twin turbo setup.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:38 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettewreck
you dont have enough $$ for the TT. Keep the Mag, get a smaller pulley, upgrade to the intercooler if you dont already have it, 21CMC blower cam, 35hp shot of Nitrous, and you STILL have enough $$ to forge the motor!!
I'll say it again.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:19 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

keep the mag and spin it as much as you can, forge the motor and wait for the larger mag compressor.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:29 PM
NJ99FRC
Drifting

Location: If you can see the car behind you, your not going fast enough

GO with the MTI stroker... Trust me... NA is lots of safe fuun... no belts to worry about, no back pressure to worry about, just good old displacement is the way to go...

FI is too much of a head ache, but NA is much simpler and less expensive in the long run
Old 09-13-2004, 09:50 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

422ci and hook your nitrous up... 100shot outta do it. I'm speaking from my azz because my vette is still stock, though :P

Originally Posted by XCELER8
Curious to see how some of the forum members whould do.
I listen to tuners but its neat to see what other people that have had 1st hand experience with different units.
Since the buyer of my Maggie backed out I had to let go of the TTi unit I was going to buy. So, if you had this amount of $$ what would you do???
Assume you had a Maggie..and about 5-6K to upgrade

1 Keep your Maggie and get a smaller pulley and forged 346ci ~510HP a lot of bottom torque

2 Sell the Maggie, get a used D1SC and get a forged motor ~600hP Good top end power

3 Sell the Maggie and get a large bore motor 408ci, 422ci A little of both low and top end but no FI

4 Sell the Maggie, get a TTi Stage 1 used and get a forged motor Decent throughout the power band.

I am not trying to start a war SC vs TT, just getting more views of all of you valued comments since I am back to stage 1 again. It gets a little overwelming at times...
Jon
Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 PM
MikeJamesC5
Burning Brakes

I've been looking at all of these plus the h/c packages with 4.10 gears. I'm leaning towards the Procharger and a forged bottom end. But the AFR heads and the G5x3 cam sounds sweet too but that wasn't on your list.

Get notified of new replies

To What would your weapon of choice be if you had this amount of $$$

Old 09-13-2004, 10:25 PM
WallyC
Intermediate

Had nitrous in my street driven vette, and I really disliked it. Found I went through bottles so often because I got hooked on the power. I finished assembling my 383, should probably have my F1R in a few weeks, I'm never going back to nitrous.

Cheers,
Wally Calendar
Old 09-13-2004, 11:11 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC & SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Smaller pulley, get rid of the nitrous, go all bore forged 383(Keep stock rods & crank), advance timing, add alcohol injection with switch(for hot days and racing.)

You're mag. is fine. I know you will be happy with the above. Three of my buddies have built mag. Z06's, but I have a 429. You're wallet will have more money in it and you will have lot less down time.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Ed@Lingenfelter
Drifting

Hey Jon -
You always call me to talk about sitckers, but you haven't asked me my opinion on your new combination?????????

Give me a call, you may be interested in our 500HP head & cam package
it's very reasonably priced, and may be just what you're looking for.
If that doesn't interest you, I'm sure we can come up with something that fits your plans. I think after everything else that you've been through, no matter what combination you settle on, you really need to get some good tuning, and we can give you that better than anybody.

You need to keep those sponsors happy, right??

Ed

Quick Reply: What would your weapon of choice be if you had this amount of $$$