C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moderate bolt on horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 09:37 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Default Moderate bolt on horsepower?

I've been building motors since I was 16. At almost 42, I understand that you can't just simply bolt on a supercharger without spending thousands to go with it. (eg. bigger injecters, fuel pumps, pulleys, etc, etc)

Since I am about to pick up my '01 vert (automatic w/3.15 gears), I was wondering if the LS1 motors are any easier to bolt on some extra HP without going hogwild and making it not streetable.

I'm not sure what the stock 350 HP puts out at the rear wheels... I'd guess 270-280'ish... but it'd be nice to get another 50-100 HP. (NOS not even an option...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-26-2004, 10:01 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blower - figure $10-$15K to do it right and $15-20K to do it right with a forged motor. If you don't get silly with the boost your stock bottom-end should hold up ( with few exceptions ). Most of the blower kits ( at least the ECS and A&A kits ) come with larger injectors. You would still want a better fuel pump ( Racetronix for example ) and better valve springs.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 08-26-2004, 10:56 PM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MyRedC4
I've been building motors since I was 16. At almost 42, I understand that you can't just simply bolt on a supercharger without spending thousands to go with it. (eg. bigger injecters, fuel pumps, pulleys, etc, etc)

Since I am about to pick up my '01 vert (automatic w/3.15 gears), I was wondering if the LS1 motors are any easier to bolt on some extra HP without going hogwild and making it not streetable.

I'm not sure what the stock 350 HP puts out at the rear wheels... I'd guess 270-280'ish... but it'd be nice to get another 50-100 HP. (NOS not even an option...)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Can I ask why you wouldn't consider nitrous? That is an excellent way to increase horsepower significantly, for a cheap price.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:27 AM
402Sam
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlownFRC
Can I ask why you wouldn't consider nitrous? That is an excellent way to increase horsepower significantly, for a cheap price.

I also ask the same question. If done the right way, it is a very safe way to add extra power when needed. What are you looking to do with the car.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:50 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

The reason for not wanting nitrous. I dunno, it's kind of like someone that doesn't work out but takes steroids to get big. I want the HP to really be there.. all the time, not run out when the bottle empties. No offense to those that use it, I just think of it as temp HP.

I'm redoing my late model S10 with an 8-7-1 blower on a 468 tubbed with full cage built for the street. (yeah, with 5.13 gears...lol) I've got something with lots of HP, I just want something for that extra umphhh but always there... not dependent on if I remembered to fill the bottle.

Mdhmi,

15-20K sounds more like a motor that you can take to the track. Doesn't anyone produce a streetable supercharger that you can for lack of better words "bolt on" without changing cams, overheating, etc, etc?? I was thinking of something along the lines of some sort of edelbrock small 5 lb supercharger.

Any such animal? Something that will produce at least 50 HP without causing me or the motor extreme stress?

Though I have modified EVERYTHING I own (72mph jetski, 74HP 686 Raptor 4 wheeler, 700HP S10, 14" lifted Yukon, 176mph motorcycle, blah, blah, blah) I want to own just ONE thing that I can get in, turn key and not wrench.

I absolutely refuse to turn this into a "well, it drives great except when it gets really hot outside" or "runs good, only gets 11mph"... I'm just looking for a little more umphhhh.

Is it possible?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mark
Old 08-27-2004, 06:45 AM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A blower kit complete from A+A is around $6000.All you need after that is a tune.(if you install it yourself)Thats how I run my car
Old 08-27-2004, 08:09 AM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08

Head and cam package or blower (mag or ati), possibly a gear. either route can get done for Under $10K
Old 08-27-2004, 08:13 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Slohawk,

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me two things? What kind of power is the blower making? Also, tell me about driveability and durability. Like I said, for the first time, I'm not willing to tolerate any tradeoffs.. (except mpg) (eg. engine temps, driveability, etc, etc...)

Thanks for your time.

Mark
Old 08-27-2004, 01:39 PM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

well, we have alot in common, I cant leave my friggin hands off anyting I own,,if its stock,I have to change,customize,modify to make it better, faster or different than the other guys....its a real quick way to loose money. I did the maggie route to my 98 a4,,stock bottom end, 5 psi boost,,gears and shift kit with headers and cat back,,,spent around 14,000 on allthe mode (more than I listed) the car is ery turn key, runs real good, gets 25 mpg and never runs hot....and will keep up with most who tempt me. the maggie is very user friendly and to me seems like a simplier setup than the other styles..... JUST DO IT<<<<
Old 09-02-2004, 01:42 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MyRedC4
Doesn't anyone produce a streetable supercharger that you can for lack of better words "bolt on" without changing cams, overheating, etc, etc?? I was thinking of something along the lines of some sort of edelbrock small 5 lb supercharger.

Any such animal? Something that will produce at least 50 HP without causing me or the motor extreme stress?

I absolutely refuse to turn this into a "well, it drives great except when it gets really hot outside" or "runs good, only gets 11mph"... I'm just looking for a little more umphhhh.

Is it possible?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mark
Sounds like a Magnacharger is what your looking for. It's a roots type blower which mounts in place of the intake manifold. Because of this, you will need a new hood (or cut a hole, exposing it), but most shops who do Maggies include a painted hi-rise hood in the price. They have an intercooled version that is affected much less by the heat, and is supposedly good for 110-130 HP at the rear wheels. This is the setup I'm lusting for.

Many of the supporting vendors here sell and install them, LPE, ECS, 21CMC, Xtreme, and others. Prices start around 8K installed for the non-IC model, and go up to around 11k with all the options (Blower cam, Carbon fiber SC hood, tranny upgrade, etc)

BTW - your LS1 should put out 290-310 RWHP, depending on the state of the engine.

Last edited by fdxpilot; 09-02-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:11 AM
GLENN43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magna Charger with a small cam .3.42 gears and 2400-3000 TC .I think this will do what you want to do . My Car is a daily driver and I never get any codes with this set-up.Car is alot of fun light to light .If I take the traction control off car will spin thru 1st and 2nd and you will see smoke for 3 blocks.I think the most important thing to do with the Maggie is to get a tuner who knows what he is doing when you do the Dyno tuning If you go with this type of set-up you will need to get better tires the stock run flats are the pits

Last edited by GLENN43; 09-03-2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:37 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
A blower kit complete from A+A is around $6000.All you need after that is a tune.(if you install it yourself)Thats how I run my car
ECS or A&A ProCharger kits are around $6K ( give or take a grand depending on how you option out the kit ) + valve springs + fuel pump + clutch + tires + gauges + install + tuning + headers + + + . It's way more than $6K by the time you add it all up. That doesn't mean that you need all of the extra. If you are a DIY'er you can probably get away under $8K.

As for power gains with a ProCharger (with a SIC) - figure a good 150 +. In my case I gained about 175 rwhp.

Mark
Old 09-05-2004, 01:04 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Blower - figure $10-$15K to do it right and $15-20K to do it right with a forged motor. If you don't get silly with the boost your stock bottom-end should hold up ( with few exceptions ). Most of the blower kits ( at least the ECS and A&A kits ) come with larger injectors. You would still want a better fuel pump ( Racetronix for example ) and better valve springs.

Cheers,

Mark
last time i looked @ a & a p1kit he had it on sell for 4,995
Old 09-05-2004, 07:32 PM
blown in n.c.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See IM

Get notified of new replies

To Moderate bolt on horsepower?

Quick Reply: Moderate bolt on horsepower?