C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo or Supercharger???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 02:48 PM
rdstr4me
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo or Supercharger???

I've been thinking of having a Procharger setup put on but Twin Turbo's seem to be the ultimate FI mod. Are there more maintenance issues with the turbos? What is the recommended FI mod for a street car?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In short... both systems have their strengths but in different areas. Give me a call or stop by and we can talk specifics.
Bill
Old 08-03-2004, 03:18 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

dude, if you've got the $$ then get the TTs!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rdstr4me
I've been thinking of having a Procharger setup put on but Twin Turbo's seem to be the ultimate FI mod. Are there more maintenance issues with the turbos? What is the recommended FI mod for a street car?
I think both are great for the street. I say TT but thats just me I would do one thing though. I would sit back as wait a few months because I think there are going to be some very FAIR priced options out there for C5's in the turbo department. 2 I know for sure Good luck
Old 08-03-2004, 05:46 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both the TT's and the ProCharger can be very sweet if setup correctly. What is your budget? For a ProCharger figure around $8,500 by the time you get it installed, tuned, and all of the 'little' things that you end up needing ( like valve springs, fuel pump, etc ). The TT's are more like $12-15K by the time all is said and done. If you have the bucks and are near a good tuner that has experience with TT's I would said go with the TT's. If you decide on the ProCharger (which I have and love) I would give Chris at ECS a ring and ask about their custom D1SC kits. They are terrific.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 08-03-2004, 05:47 PM
king_pin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Well I can tell you I have the chance to run both set ups and the TT is by far the best way to go! I see you are from Mesa I live in Chandler If you would like to see my set up let me know.....
Old 08-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Devil Dog
Melting Slicks

Twin turbo hands down!
No pullies.
No belts.
Full boost around 2800 rpm.
Approx. a hundred more ft.lbs. of torque at the same boost level.

If its in your budget you can't beat the twins.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:27 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by king_pin
Well I can tell you I have the chance to run both set ups and the TT is by far the best way to go! I see you are from Mesa I live in Chandler If you would like to see my set up let me know.....
Since someone is asking for opinions, I beg to differ...I have run both also and less just say that my turbos made less than 500rwhp at 10.5 psi. before you say that something was wrong with my set-up, consider the fact that she made 525 ftlbs of torque.

now let's compare my set-up to yours. both of us have stock cube engines. with your 6.0 heads, I'm assuming you have about the same compression ratio that I have. mine is done with lower comp pistons and stock chamber ls1 heads though. I have home ported heads with stock valves and you have stage III cnc lpe's. you obviously have superior heads....now the meat of the story...your TTi twin turbo makes 545rwhp and 590 rwtq @ 12psi...my A&A sic D1SC makes 654rwhp and 530rwtq @ 13psi...on pump gas....looks like the tt is down 100+hp to the lowly SC even with your superior cylinder heads. ....I just don't see how tt's are better. now, don't get me wrong. I loved the sound of the bov and the sound of those turbos spooling up was almost enough to make me keep them. but the SC is just plain faster.

Last edited by SR71; 08-03-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:33 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Old 08-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by SR71
Since someone is asking for opinions, I beg to differ...I have run both also and less just say that my turbos made less than 500rwhp at 10.5 psi. before you say that something was wrong with my set-up, consider the fact that she made 525 ftlbs of torque.

now let's compare my set-up to yours. both of us have stock cube engines. with your 6.0 heads, I'm assuming you have about the same compression ratio that I have. mine is done with lower comp pistons and stock chamber ls1 heads though. I have home ported heads with stock valves and you have stage III cnc lpe's. you obviously have superior heads....now the meat of the story...your TTi twin turbo makes 545rwhp and 590 rwtq @ 12psi...my A&A sic D1SC makes 654rwhp and 530rwtq @ 13psi...on pump gas....looks like the tt is down 100+hp to the lowly SC even with your superior cylinder heads. ....I just don't see how tt's are better. now, don't get me wrong. I loved the sound of the bov and the sound of those turbos spooling up was almost enough to make me keep them. but the SC is just plain faster.
Well that was 1 turbo, Just like there are different heads on a supercharger. That being said the D-1 is a good one for sure
Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Big horsepower numbers are one thing, if you have a dyno queen. What you are discounting is that turbo boost has no parasitic lose. So if 13# boost on a supercharger will almost always net less power on the same motor as a similar sized turbo. Also what you are overlooking is that turbo boost comes on faster that supercharged boost. The TTI set up with its t28 turbos are fully spooled by 2500 rpms. That means that the torque will be more than yours off the line. So while you are waiting for your boost to rev up, the turbo's torque already has you off the line. Can you please post your dyno graph and I will host Kingpins.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:37 PM
ZOsixTT
Instructor

call bill at extreme, he offers both and can answer all of your questions
Old 08-03-2004, 08:49 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

funny how people think turbos have no loss. I can tell you from personal experience that all the backpressure and charge contamination that a turbo creates costs power too.

as for dyno graphs, I would have to email you mine since I'm not that computer literate and have no host site. my car doesn't have the huge torque down low that the turbo does. all that torque just magnifies traction problems. with the turbos, there was no way to hook my car. it spun well through the 60ft lights on et streets. but it fell flat on it's face in 2nd and 3rd. my car hooks and leaves much better with the sc than it did with the turbos. and it pulls MUCH harder on the big end. while the turbo car spins it's tires, I will be watching it shrink in my rearview mirror.

timeslips are what count....I ran 6.907 @ 101mph(1/8th mile) on my second shakedown pass on an 85 degree day. full street weight including a 5pt rollbar, nothing removed from the car, NO powershifting and I haven't even learned how to launch the car yet. what did king pin run???

Last edited by SR71; 08-03-2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Devil Dog
Melting Slicks

your TTi twin turbo makes 545rwhp and 590 rwtq @ 12psi...my A&A sic D1SC makes 654rwhp and 530rwtq @ 13psi...on pump gas....looks like the tt is down 100+hp to the lowly SC even with your superior cylinder heads.
And he is still making more torque with 100 less HP and I bet he is laying down more torque and HP under the curve, the HP will rely on what trim compressors and A/R of the turbos that are included with the TTI kit.
Don't be fooled by peak numbers.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:20 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

I had the stage 2 turbos with the single ic. and LESS restrictive inlets. meaning a big set of K&N cones 6inches from the turbo inlets. I drove the car with the turbos for about 500 miles and it felt quick. but, on the track, it sucked! the old blower set up that made 500 at the wheels ran 99 mph....the turbos, with all their torque and area under the curve, could only muster 94.5 mph.

I fell for all of that massive torque and area under the curve crap and spent a boatload of money....only to go slower. I went turbo and then went screaming back to a blower....and couldn't be happier.

torque is great for your tow vehicle, but hp wins races!

Last edited by SR71; 08-03-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Devil Dog
Melting Slicks

The TTI kit suffers because of the smaller turbos, whereas the LPE stage II kit can lay down 650 rwhp with over 600 ft.lbs. of torque with 346 cubic inches of LS1.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:40 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
The TTI kit suffers because of the smaller turbos, whereas the LPE stage II kit can lay down 650 rwhp with over 600 ft.lbs. of torque with 346 cubic inches of LS1.
....and can lighten your wallet faster and more completely than any other system. I'm laying down 650 for about 20% of the lpe cost.

if I need more torque, I will drive my F-250 powerstroke.

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Turbo or Supercharger???

Old 08-03-2004, 09:57 PM
king_pin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
And he is still making more torque with 100 less HP and I bet he is laying down more torque and HP under the curve, the HP will rely on what trim compressors and A/R of the turbos that are included with the TTI kit.
Don't be fooled by peak numbers.
Funny how a question turns into PISSING CONTEST well I was giving my 2 cents. And tha'ts all. And I am very happy with the set up. And yes I have had a chance to run a 630rwhp ATI with 10psi of boost and all he saw was my tail lights!!! And No I have not had it to the Track yet its been too Hot
Old 08-03-2004, 10:32 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hrm..another apples to orange to potatoe comparison.

TTi kit was design for STOCK engines..It had been tweaked and played with to get it a bit better, but certainly can not be compared to LPE or even the old Incon kit.

So, THe TTi would really compare to a P1SC super charger. No comparsion as the TTi kit would prevail in my eyes.

The LPE would compare to the D1SC, thats a pressty good run, it would depend on the setup of each vehicle and how well the car was set up to MATCH each of the power adders attributes.

The superchargers air out well, and if the vette is setup to turn rpm it will typically win on the track.

But, Change the setup to match the turbos and its a real battle..Lower gears, taller tires will really help turn the #'s in turbo powered application.

Just my 02, Doesnt really matter to me either way, they both have the ability to beat most on the street.

Phil
Old 08-03-2004, 11:19 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandra Bigwoode
Don't lower gears and taller tires cancel each other out?
You put the bigger tires on to help hook up, and to use your gear better. You put the gears in, so that you can offset the bigger tires. The trick to going fast is to have all of your components "shake hands".....What I mean is that they have to work together. That's how I understand it, maybe someone can explain it better.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo or Supercharger???