C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/C owners...benefits of stock BOV vs Vortech BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default S/C owners...benefits of stock BOV vs Vortech BOV?

I am in the market for a S/C and I was wondering if it is worth the extra $$ for the upgraded BOV from Vortech? Is there a sound difference and does anyone have a sound clip with a Vortech valve?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
HurricaneZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to hear a soundclip of any BOV/Bypass other than the ATI
Old 07-12-2004, 08:30 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suspicion is that for most people the upgraded Vortech BOV is really just another way of padding the bill.

Mark
Old 07-12-2004, 08:37 PM
BLUTHUNDER
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's worth the Money to have an upgraded BOV installed..The stock BOV that comes with the ATI pkg is a joke.
It's good preventive medicine to install a higher quality unit..If for some reason your BOV was to stay closed it could damage your MAF.

I'm sure Andy could hook you up !

Cheers

Jeff
Old 07-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HurricaneZ
I'd love to hear a soundclip of any BOV/Bypass other than the ATI

SO WOULD I!!! ANYONE???
Old 07-12-2004, 10:39 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The build quality difference between the BOV unit ATI includes in their standard kits and the Vortech BOV is like a comparison of night and day in Vortech's favor. The ATI unit is nothing more than a modified, vacuum operated choke pull-off that is/was used on FORD carburators and adapted by ATI to fit the ATI by-pass air configuration. They even have an oval that says "FORD" on the side of them...

That choke pull-off style of diaphram is not designed to apply force to hold a valve shut, but rather to pull a valve closed (or open on carbs)when vacuum is applied; so not only is it too small to fit the application, but it is not designed for what it is being used for.

The choke pull-off diaphram does not have a very large surface area to apply much leverage on the ATI BOV door to keep it closed under moderate to high boost conditions, therefore it is typical to see an intake pressure drop at higher engine RPM when the dynamic boost pressure on one side of the BOV door overcomes the ability of the choke pull-off diaphram to keep that door closed and boost bleeds off.

The Vortech valve is purposely designed to correct this condition and the diaphram is HUGE compared to the BOV door size, plus the door itself is spring loaded to be open until intake pressure closes it. The ATI does not have this feature. Furthermore, the Vortech BOV also has the ability for the user to adjust the slope and activation rate to suit a variety of applications and can be configured to vent to outside air, (as the ATI unit is) or as a recirculatory configuration. (i.e. Vortech systems)

JC-5 on this board found this out first hand when we tuned his ATI S/C'd car here last Spring and the improved performance difference between the two was dramatic.

Just some cheap information for those that are interested based on our experience.

BTW- As far as how it sounds... It makes a similar sound that an external turbo wastegate would produce.

Best Regards,
DTE

Last edited by DTE Powertrain; 07-12-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:29 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Cliff99C5hardtop
I am in the market for a S/C and I was wondering if it is worth the extra $$ for the upgraded BOV from Vortech? Is there a sound difference and does anyone have a sound clip with a Vortech valve?

I've been running the Vortech Racing BOV for the past year. As Phil stated, it is a very high quality piece that really gets the job done. I'll check some of my vids to see if I have a sound clip of it working. It is very audible as you come out of boost!!
JB
Old 07-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

JB...I have heard a couple of clips of your car but they are all WOT and about 185mph!!!! Do you have any sound clips from idle just revving?? I think I already made up my mind besides the noise factor that a upgraded BOV would be the way to go. Thanks all!!

Get notified of new replies

To S/C owners...benefits of stock BOV vs Vortech BOV?

Quick Reply: S/C owners...benefits of stock BOV vs Vortech BOV?