C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Booster....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:54 AM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Octane Booster....

Anyone using an octane booster...any noticable improvements over the crappy Calif. 91?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (HIGHRPM)

Unocal sells Hi Performance 100 octane at the pump for $5.00 a gallon. Or you can buy a case of Torco off of Joel (JBSBLOWN) hes the dealer on the goods stuff....I wouldn't use anything else...well except maybe for Sunoco 104..but you can't pump that directly into your car...unless its on a trailer. But the 100 octane at Unocal you can just drive up and pump like 91. Best bargain is the Torco..thats what all of us are using...I have to order a case off of Joel.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:32 PM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (Shinobi'sZ)

Thanks Kevin..... I'm going to order a case as well.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Red C5
Drifting

Unocal will no longer be making the race gas. I believe 76 stations are going to have VP race gas instead. (Just the stations that sell race gas).

I've tried Torco but didn't notice any gains or losses. Don't really know much about it so I just use race gas when I need to.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:30 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Unocal sells Hi Performance 100 octane at the pump for $5.00 a gallon. Or you can buy a case of Torco off of Joel (JBSBLOWN) hes the dealer on the goods stuff....I wouldn't use anything else...well except maybe for Sunoco 104..but you can't pump that directly into your car...unless its on a trailer. But the 100 octane at Unocal you can just drive up and pump like 91. Best bargain is the Torco..thats what all of us are using...I have to order a case off of Joel.
I've tested Torco on the dyno, roadcourse, and street using ease. It WORKS! I run a mixture at the roadcourse with 91 octane until that runs low, then I use 100 since it's all they sell there. I actually think my car runs better on the mixture then straight 100!

Let me know if you needa case,
JB

If there is no detination on your present tune, then you probably won't see much gain. What Torco does do is allow you to run more timing without detination, as well as protect the motor from potential Det. when temps go up or under extreme driving.

[Modified by jbsblownc5, 9:34 PM 3/15/2004]
Old 03-16-2004, 01:46 AM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (jbsblownc5)

Joel, you have an IM...I want a case or two.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:20 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Got it, IM sent.
I have cases in stock now..
Old 03-16-2004, 02:47 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

..)
Got it, IM sent.
How much is the octane boost and how much does it raise the octane?

Is it made from mostly Toulene? I just buy Toulene from the paint store and use that.. (you need to filter it through a coffee filter tho)
Old 03-16-2004, 03:25 AM
INSOMNIAC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live at San Francisco and use 76 Gas Station's 100 Octane Unleaded Race Gas. It works with my high timing tune. I believe it is $4.50 per gallon.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:47 AM
av8or3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (INSOMNIAC)

I use 5 gals 100 octane to a tank of Amoco 93 and it prevents detonation when it gets hot out. My car produces more power on the 93 octane than pure race gas so I use only as much 100 octane as it takes to prevent the detonation. When it gets really hot (90's-100 degrees),I add a little more
race gas. Race gas here is $4.29 a gal.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:07 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (MyFirstCorvette)

I just buy Toulene from the paint store and use that.. (you need to filter it through a coffee filter tho)

I'm going to try this when the temps go up this Summer. Here is a link to a website with info on Toluene.

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

[Modified by runamuk, 7:11 AM 3/16/2004]
Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (MyFirstCorvette)

I
..) Got it, IM sent.

How much is the octane boost and how much does it raise the octane?

Is it made from mostly Toulene? I just buy Toulene from the paint store and use that.. (you need to filter it through a coffee filter tho)
I sell it for $72 a case of 6 cans. One can mixed with a tank will bring you up to 96 to 98 octane depending on weather you start with 91 or 93.

At $5 a gallon, you would have to buy at least $40 worth of 100 octane to get the same mixture a $12 can of Torco will give you. Plus a case of Torco fits in the back of your car and is very handy.

I have plenty in stock if you want to try some. I've used it for the last year now with great results!
JB
Old 03-16-2004, 10:59 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (Red C5)

Unocal will no longer be making the race gas. I believe 76 stations are going to have VP race gas instead.
What is VP race gas?

VR
Old 03-16-2004, 12:14 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are there any long term side effects of using Torco? I know that off the shelf Octane Boosters cause major problems with the valve seals and valves themselves with long term use.

Keith

Old 03-16-2004, 01:23 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (vetterdstr)

Unocal will no longer be making the race gas. I believe 76 stations are going to have VP race gas instead.

What is VP race gas?

VR
A local performance shop is going to start carrying VP 110 unleaded in 5 gallon metal containers with spouts for easy pouring. It'll be $40/container.

I'm probably going to switch between that and Toulene..

FYI, the Toulene works GREAT! IF you need the octane, you WILL notice a huge difference from pump gas...
Old 03-17-2004, 02:24 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (kromberg)

Are there any long term side effects of using Torco? I know that off the shelf Octane Boosters cause major problems with the valve seals and valves themselves with long term use.

Keith
I just had my heads off and after over a year of usage, the valves looked fine.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default CHEAP DIY RACE GAS!

Anyone using an octane booster...any noticable improvements over the crappy Calif. 91?
be careful about buying toluene in >1gallon amounts or at all, the DEA and local narcs monitor paint store sales, it is a pre-cursor for crack/meth production.

you may get a 3 am visit from jack booted DEA thugs, you door kicked in, all your guns and cars and computers seized, your dog shot, maybe your spouse or kid as well...

get xylene instead, no one cares how much you buy, it is 117 octane, contains only carbon and hydogen atoms, blends well with gasoline, and is mostly what is in auto part store octane boosters, plus some atf for lubrication and lurid dyes to make it look cool. since it is only C8H10, it won't hurt your cats or o2 sensors.

my local paint store sells it for $7/gallon in 5 gallon pails, and $3.87/gallon in 55 gallon drums with free delivery in the city limits.

55 gallons is doable if you get some like-minded souls together for a dyno day or at the drags and spilt it among yourselves. [$213/55 gallon drum]

at 70% 93 octane pumpgas and 30% xylene, you get 100 octane race fuel at a cost of $2.56/gallon assuming you pay $2/gallon for the pumpgas and $3.87/gallon for the xylene.

if you mix it 50-50, you get 103.5 octane at a cost of $2.94, using the costs as shown above. above this ratio you may want to add 4 or 8 ounces of atf for additional lubrication. running straight xylene is not recommended even if it is 117 octane for $3.87/gallon.

DISCLAIMER: i am not your mother, download and read the MDS, keep a water hose running within easy reach, and do your blending out in your yard or driveway away from your corvette and don't smoke or set off fireworks while you blend... =;-] if you blow up your engine on the dyno or at the drags, i don't want to hear about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Octane Booster....

Old 05-12-2004, 07:20 PM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

I used to do Toluene but the bottle booster are much more convenient. Check out the test, Torco is not in there (although I read lots of positive comment on it), a lot of others are included.
http://www.fbody.com/members/stevenm...ne_booster.htm
Old 05-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (boblackhardtop)

I used to do Toluene but the bottle booster are much more convenient. Check out the test, Torco is not in there (although I read lots of positive comment on it), a lot of others are included.
thanks for the links, i saw that the aussies used RON not R+M/2 which means the gains would be reduced by half, they apparently did not understand toluene is 114 octane and used only 20% rather than 30% which would have beaten all other additives they tested.

of course that means they could not crow about the aussie additive NULON, i suspect they were paid to rig the test.

i still don't understand how a pint or a quart of octane booster added to 15-20 gallons of regular unleaded can increase octane any signifcant amount, especially when the octane booster is just toluene or xylene in a small bottle at a much higher price. are there aromatic benzenes out there with many hundreds of octane numbers that no one has ever heard of?
Old 05-12-2004, 09:43 PM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Octane Booster.... (Sandra Bigwoode)

thanks for the links, i saw that the aussies used RON not R+M/2 which means the gains would be reduced by half, they apparently did not understand toluene is 114 octane and used only 20% rather than 30% which would have beaten all other additives they tested.

of course that means they could not crow about the aussie additive NULON, i suspect they were paid to rig the test.

i still don't understand how a pint or a quart of octane booster added to 15-20 gallons of regular unleaded can increase octane any signifcant amount, especially when the octane booster is just toluene or xylene in a small bottle at a much higher price. are there aromatic benzenes out there with many hundreds of octane numbers that no one has ever heard of?
The octane booster in pump gas has Toluene, the one in the bottle (the better one anyway) has different compound NOT Toluene.

Quick Reply: Octane Booster....