C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring autometer gauges? help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 09:19 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default wiring autometer gauges? help

1) switched power source that stays hot during cranking. Will the xtra power lead provided by GM by fuse panel stay hot while cranking? if not which wire will work for Autometer gauges?
2) I read on a search that the active handling switch can be a source of power for the gauge lights. Which wire dims power with the dash lights? I have a light brown, dark brown, Orange,etc.
Thanks in advance,

Matt

Old 02-07-2004, 10:51 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: wiring autometer gauges? help (drcoffee)

I can tell you that the wires to the AH are not good ones to use... I wired my lights to the main power source and installed a mini switch alongside the gauges so I can have the lights on only when I want them to be on.

VR :cheers:
Old 02-07-2004, 12:47 PM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) switched power source that stays hot during cranking. Will the xtra power lead provided by GM by fuse panel stay hot while cranking? if not which wire will work for Autometer gauges?
2) I read on a search that the active handling switch can be a source of power for the gauge lights. Which wire dims power with the dash lights? I have a light brown, dark brown, Orange,etc.
Thanks in advance,

Matt
ttt

I want to know also....

:cheers:
Old 02-07-2004, 09:59 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Default Re: wiring autometer gauges? help (SideStep)

ttt
:lurk:
Old 02-08-2004, 09:30 AM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

One more ttt

:D
Old 02-09-2004, 07:30 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

I had some time this weekend to freeze a bit. I found the large PINK wire coming off the ignition switch is powered during crank. I tapped into that wire for the power lead to the gauge (red).

The best wire I found for the dimmed lights is the AC cntrol wire. You need to pull the center console out. 4 nuts and 2 screws. Actually it was pretty easy. I followed the instruction for installing the gauge bezels and the first steps are to remove the console. 2 screws hold in the AC unit and once removed the control come out. At the top of the plug is bright yellow wire. snap splice into it and put it all back together. 30 minutes tops.

I ran the ground(black) back to the fuse panel to the extra wires available there.

I hope this helps.

Matt :cheers:

[Modified by drcoffee, 6:40 PM 2/9/2004]
The following users liked this post:
Mach5Z06 (07-08-2020)
Old 02-09-2004, 07:37 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

I tried to use the wire off of the AC unit and found that after a while the juice to that wire would stop and the light to my gauges and the AC head unit would go out. The only way to get it going again was to turn the dimmer switch to complete darkness and then turn it back on again and still the lights kept going off all the time. It seems that whenever I post to your topics you are not really listening to me or even asking me questions about my experineces... if you had I could have saved you from hacking into that AC wire.. :nonod:

Best of luck to you while you splice into all those wires that wont work out. :rolleyes:

[Modified by vetterdstr, 4:38 PM 2/9/2004]
Old 02-09-2004, 07:51 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Default Re: wiring autometer gauges? help (vetterdstr)

I tried to use the wire off of the AC unit and found that after a while the juice to that wire would stop and the light to my gauges and the AC head unit would go out. The only way to get it going again was to turn the dimmer switch to complete darkness and then turn it back on again and still the lights kept going off all the time. It seems that whenever I post to your topics you are not really listening to me or even asking me questions about my experineces... if you had I could have saved you from hacking into that AC wire.. :nonod:

Best of luck to you while you splice into all those wires that wont work out. :rolleyes:

[Modified by vetterdstr, 4:38 PM 2/9/2004]
It is not that I don't appreciate your advice or experiences. The alternative you suggested was not the answer I was looking for, nor is it appealing to have a dimmer switch attached to the gauges as you have done. Of all the gauge installs out there, someone has made it work as it should be. I only ask that those that have been successful tell me how they did it. I don't mean to be disrespectful.

So far it seems to work for mine.

Cheers. :cheers:
Old 02-09-2004, 08:22 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

No one person has the right answer that fits everyones car and I could have explained how I tried the AC wire as well and how that didnt work either. I really could get carpotunnel syndrome explaining in full detail the mods I have done on my car over the last 5 years. ;)

When your topic sat for days without you getting any added help I half expected questions about what I had done or tried on my car to get to where I am now. The dimmer switch that I am talking is the one that all of our cars come with so I didnt add an extra one just for the lights.

Anyway, whatever you do, I hope you get it all working correctly. Afterall, that is what we really want to have happen. :yesnod:

Old 02-09-2004, 09:16 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

I can tell you that the wires to the AH are not good ones to use... I wired my lights to the main power source and installed a mini switch alongside the gauges so I can have the lights on only when I want them to be on.

alright, I'll bite. How did you tap into the dimmer that is already on the car? What color wire is the correct wire? Your original post was not clear. Reference your post above. Can you see my confusion? :confused:
Old 02-09-2004, 09:21 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

If you tap into any of the wires that light the dash lights you will be automaticly hooked up to the dimmer switch on the dash. The work I did was over a year ago and orig. I tried to hook the new gauge lights to the trunk release. I used a probe to determine which wire had power when the dash lights were on and hooked it up from there. That didnt have enough power so I hooked it up to the console light that is used for the F45 and TC lights.. that was not powerfull enough so I hooked it to the AC setup and that was not powerfull enough... See why I didnt type this story from the beginning? ;)

Old 02-09-2004, 09:24 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

The little switch I installed is tiny and is not a dimmer switch. It is an on and off switch that is wired into the main power line I used to power the gauges from the passenger floor area.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:27 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

is there no way, in your estimation to dim the lights to the new gauges then? I'm not real crazy about having them on bright all the time. on/off seems to be the way you have gone. Is that correct?

Matt
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Yep it is on or off.. since my gauge lights came with colored covers (red, green) it is really not that bright anyway. I would have liked to been hooked up to the rest of the lights to use the dimmer but in reality, I dont use it that much anyway. 99% of the time the lights are on full and after a while I want the 2 gauges off and only have the dash lights lit up. It is a good solution, much better than having those lights on all the time.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:32 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

hrm ... mine are wired into the dash dimmer and the AH module, and work fine. been this way for about 6 months with no problems.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Default Re: wiring autometer gauges? help (tattooed)

tattooed,

What wire on the AH did you tap into?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:48 AM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

tattooed,

What wire on the AH did you tap into?
I am interested also....
:thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To wiring autometer gauges? help

Old 02-10-2004, 10:32 AM
George Cooper
Burning Brakes

drcoffee-

There are two big pink wires in your picture. The one on the right looks like it has a white stripe on it. Maybe they are the same wire folded over? Anyhow, is it the one on the right side of the picture or the left? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:01 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Default Re: wiring autometer gauges? help (George Cooper)

drcoffee-

There are two big pink wires in your picture. The one on the right looks like it has a white stripe on it. Maybe they are the same wire folded over? Anyhow, is it the one on the right side of the picture or the left? Thanks!
There is an Orange wire and 2 light red wires and a *** PINK wire(the only one there). It's actually hiding behind the red one on the right.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:24 PM
George Cooper
Burning Brakes

Thanks!

Quick Reply: wiring autometer gauges? help