C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI vs. Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Go Low
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATI vs. Vortech

O.K. I have it narrowed down. Which is better and why? :confused:
Old 08-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (Go Low)

Again???????????????????????????? :rolleyes: :_dupe: :_dupe: :_dupe:
Old 08-29-2003, 10:43 PM
BlueBlazer
Racer

Which is better and why ? :confused:
Yeah guys, I want to know as well including which makes less Whine/Noise
at Idle/Cruise/normal driving.
Good Ques. GoLow :thumbs:
Old 08-29-2003, 10:55 PM
BlueBlazer
Racer

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (racer44)

Again????????
I think racer44's talking about this post GoLow http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=618441
I still want to know which one is more quiet :lol:
Old 08-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Go Low
Heel & Toe

Again???????????????????????????? :rolleyes: :_dupe: :_dupe: :_dupe:
I know,It's like deja vu. But I am ready to lighten my wallet and I have to be sure. You know what I mean? :cheers:
Old 08-30-2003, 12:17 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Both systems are strong. Unfortunately, most people will just vote for the one they have!

The key is getting a good installer/tuner! :cheers:
Old 08-30-2003, 12:21 AM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details

It's a debate that never ends :crazy: I personally chose the ATI because it makes more peak h/p and doesn't require drilling the oil pan. However, the ATI has had problems with belt slippage. I haven't experienced it, and I believe that the later kits have mostly worked the problem out but it has been a fairly common theme.

BTW, the Vortech SQ Trim is the quietest of the lot, IMHO. I kind of like the whistle of the ATI...it's not really overly loud, just enough to know that something's there. :cheers:
Old 08-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Sean@OCCorvette
Racer

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (SleepieAce)

When Andy and A&A first got the Vortech SQ trim he said is sounded like an old 671. To me that means LOUD!
Old 08-31-2003, 11:07 AM
MySea6
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (hogurt)

Both systems are strong. Unfortunately, most people will just vote for the one they have!

:iagree:

When Andy and A&A first got the Vortech SQ trim he said is sounded like an old 671. To me that means LOUD!
Andy may have been referring to the belt noise at idle and it's nothing like a 671, not even close. The SQ is, by far, the quietest LSx blower on the market. No sound, at all, at cruise speed. There are times when I wish it were louder.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:12 PM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:iagree: other than tuners, who has had any extensive experience with both systems? Slapping your stuff on the table because you own one product is a worthless recomendation.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Devil Dog
Melting Slicks

The ATI uses a air/air intercooler.
The Vortech uses a air/water intercooler.

I would prefer a air/air intercooler because:
Greater simplicity.
Better thermal efficiency at high speed.
Better reliability.
Lower maintenance.

The intercooler is about the only difference in the two systems, if you prefer a air/water for whatever reason you will have to go with the Vortech.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:50 PM
Vortech C5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Vortech kit on my car so I might be a little bias. I have had it on my car for 8 months now and 6,000 miles. I have had NO negative issues with the kit. I have nothing but good things to say about it. In terms of noise, mine is VERY loud, but i wanted it that way. I went with the V1 blower instead of the stock one. I heard the stock one, and I can honestly say it sounded stock. I personally love the noise. Even though I have the loud one, I can barely hear it as highway speeds. It is promenant during idle. Most importantly, the power difference is AMAZING :yesnod: !
Old 09-01-2003, 12:09 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

Why ATI? Wife works for them!!! :cheers: :) :grouphug:
Old 09-01-2003, 09:06 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (Vortech C5)

Oh no, two members with VortechC5 for a user name. This will be confusing...
Old 09-01-2003, 11:36 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats more important than the kit itself. Unfortunately too many find out when its too late.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:04 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do have a supercharger. I do not have an ATI or Vortech. I am very happy with what I have. If I had to choose between only those two, I would buy the Vortech. I researched my purchase for over a year. I'd rather ********** with an handful of broken glass than put myself through what MANY ATI guys have gone through. Granted, many of those problems maybe solved now, but I wasn't willing to take that chance.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:38 PM
STAGED
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on what I've read and know:

ATI
1. Very tuner dependent experience due to some extra work to make the system perform flawlessly
2. Some kits with massive airflow potential
3. Air-air aftercooler is appropriate for those leery of anything aftermarket due to greater simplicity and for road racers for sustained boosted use

Vortech
1. Choice of sleeper G-Trim SQ or high output/proven T-Trim
2. Less hacking up your $50k Vette supposedly when all is said and done, however need to tap oil pan (best to get spare pan and have fitting professionally welded)
3. Air-water aftercooler has packaging advantages and far higher heat removal for the given pressure drop of the charge-air heat exchanger (analogy: ultra-high performance electronic cooling schemes use multi-phase gas-liquid thermal transport vs. single phase gas only). The low pressure drop for given heat removal rate means lower parastic losses for given mass airflow rate. Packaging + this reason are why OEMs prefer this for belt-driven S/C'd systems despite the added complexity of a separate water circuit and pump.

One word about charge air cooling efficiency. ATI advertises higher system efficiency but since they use only air-air you're talking about a huge charge air cooler for given heat removal rate. That higher pressure drop offsets the higher system efficiency. If you fix the pressure drop of the charge air cooler then an air-air unit removes very little heat despite high efficiency. High efficiency heat removal using just low density medium is not as good as moderate efficiency heat removal using a system high density medium and one could use the analogy for illustrative purposes: 90% of 10 is less than 60% of 100.

[Modified by STAGED, 2:29 AM 9/2/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To ATI vs. Vortech

Old 09-12-2003, 04:38 PM
BlazeSkywalker7
Instructor

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (STAGED)

do you need to change the stock c5 hood for the vortech?
Old 09-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: ATI vs. Vortech (BlazeSkywalker7)

do you need to change the stock c5 hood for the vortech?
no :cheers:
Old 12-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Targa C5
Burning Brakes

Many potential customers assume that the "tapping the oil pan" requirement is a negative for the Vortech system.

That's an incorrect assumption. I just wanted to drop in and quickly describe the benefits of this system and why Vortech chose to do it this way.

This maintenance-free lubrication system uses engine oil that is pre-filtered and injected directly onto the drive gears. Engine oil allows quicker warm-up, excellent reliability and superior cooling. Plus, it's continuously filtered and routinely changed (as part of your normal engine oil maintenance).

:cool:

Here are some quality features of the C5 Vortech supercharging kits...

* Vortech gear-driven supercharger with SQ Technology provides nearly silent operation with unmatched reliability

* Technologically advanced, high-efficiency impeller and housing design developed in Vortech's supercharger test cell

* Fuel system upgrades includes all components required for safe, dependable operation on today's engines

* Oil feed and oil drain assemblies deliver the best possible lubrication and cooling for the supercharger, even under sustained boost conditions

* Inlet and discharge duct connections utilize heat resistant silicon sleeves and premium quality stainless steel clamps

* OEM-type cast aluminum mounting bracketry for "factory installed" appearance and rigidity

* Supercharger drive system includes all the necessary belts, pulleys and tensioner

* Integrated air-to-water, dual-pass charge cooler configuration allows for additional horsepower gains and features a sealed, maintenance-free design

* Compatible with factory OBD II engine management systems

* Vortech 3-year limited warranty

* Emissions legal in all 50 states

* All of the C5 Vortech supercharging kits we sell include tuning by Vortech that is specific for the model year, engine, and Corvette application.

Quick Reply: ATI vs. Vortech