C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Popped for Forged Short Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Mike Morgan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (blu00rdstr)

Stock crank :confused: why aren't you going with a forged crank, I was under the impression that going with a forged crank is as important as the rods and pistons :cheers:

The advice I got was that the stock crank will handle 700rwhp. None of the tuners I've talked to has seen a stock crank or rods break.

I thought about a Lunati stroker crank, but wasn't sure how to keep the CR down.
I would not use stock rods when doing a shortblock. They are subject to failure and when they do it's a hole in the side of the block. The crank on the other hand seems to be pretty stout. I have haven't personally seen or heard about anyone breaking an LS1 crank. We've pushed them pretty hard. My guess is RPM will be the killer of a stock crank.

Mike,
Motors out and we should have the new one going in tomorrow. The MMS restructure is working out to your advantage. :cheers:
Your old motor looked a bit tired. I haven't inspected it closely yet, but there was quite a bit of oil residue in the intake ports. I'll let you know when it fires!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:41 AM
bruce1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (MelloYellow)

Bruce.. What's the story on your SB?
Just read. An MMS setup. I try to avoid them.
The SB is still consuming quite a bit of oil. This does not make me happy.

My direct port manifold has been re-worked by NX Express. I just re-installed it last week. The wrong nozels were installed, they shot the nitrous directly into the side wall of the intake manifold, not directly into the port as it should. It was kind of a in-direct port.
As well, 3 out of 4 solenoids were not working, broken......lucky I never activated the system. By the time I re-wire the electrical system and re-routing the fuel and nitrous lines and fixing a #3 coil short, then I should be good to go. I am getting close to being finished.

I hope the SB works for me, but If this SB goes south (God forbid), I would want to order a MTI big bore.

Bruce
Old 08-06-2003, 09:04 AM
AWSM_06
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (Mike Morgan)

Stock crank :confused: why aren't you going with a forged crank, I was under the impression that going with a forged crank is as important as the rods and pistons :cheers:

The advice I got was that the stock crank will handle 700rwhp. None of the tuners I've talked to has seen a stock crank or rods break.

I thought about a Lunati stroker crank, but wasn't sure how to keep the CR down.

I would not use stock rods when doing a shortblock. They are subject to failure and when they do it's a hole in the side of the block. The crank on the other hand seems to be pretty stout. I have haven't personally seen or heard about anyone breaking an LS1 crank. We've pushed them pretty hard. My guess is RPM will be the killer of a stock crank.

Mike,
Motors out and we should have the new one going in tomorrow. The MMS restructure is working out to your advantage. :cheers:
Your old motor looked a bit tired. I haven't inspected it closely yet, but there was quite a bit of oil residue in the intake ports. I'll let you know when it fires!
Great Mike! Not bad, just took the car in yesterday morning! Looking forward to picking the car up on Friday. Also hopng you can squeeze me out a few extra ponies with the new IC

[Modified by AWSM_06, 6:06 AM 8/6/2003]

[Modified by AWSM_06, 6:06 AM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-06-2003, 09:10 AM
AWSM_06
Racer

Just to give you guys an idea of a DIY forged shortblock, here's a list of parts and costs rounded to the dollar:

Forged bottom end (stock crank)
cost - Item

$ 570 - Diamond forged dished pistons & pins
$ 199 - Diamond piston rings
$ 489 - Eagle forged H-rods 6.125"
$ 62 - Clevite coated Rod bearings
$ 140 - ARP Main stud kit
$ 78 - Federal Mogul coated Main bearings
$ 235 - ARP Head stud kit 12-pt
$ 7 - ARP assembly lube
$ 9 - ARP Teflon thread sealer
$ 66 - Double roller timing set
$ 95 - Oil pump
$ 350 - Gasket set with TTY head & damper bolts
$ 2,300 - Total shortblock

Optional items
cost - Item

$ 92 - Manley pushrods
$ 600 - LS6 block
$ 1,595 - A&A Stage II heads
$ 150 - Balancing rotating components
$ 0 - Thunder racing blower cam (had in garage)
$ 2,345 - Total additional items

$ 4,645 - Total cost

Other suggestions:
- Forged crank
- Billet mains
- Oil pump - ported LS6
- Have the pistons coated

[Modified by blu00rdstr, 7:44 PM 8/5/2003]
LS6 block? I was under the impression that the only difference between an LS6 and an LS1 was the heads and cam? And that they both used the same LS1 block? Feedback anyone?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:27 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 388 Posts

Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (AWSM_06)

I think that everything from 02 on uses the same, LS6, block. Prior to that there were different blocks.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:23 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (VortechC5)

I think that everything from 02 on uses the same, LS6, block. Prior to that there were different blocks.
I've heard many people say this, but I think they are confused. I know the intake manifold is the same, but I'm pretty sure the block is still a little bit different (larger windows).
Old 08-06-2003, 10:41 AM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (QuickSilver2002)

There is no difference in the LS1/LS6 blocks from 2001 ---. There may be a difference between 01 and 02 but an 01 LS1 is the same as an 01 LS6 block and you get the drill.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (gonbad)

Sounds like I may have been confused. Good info. Is there any difference in the rotating assembly?

[Modified by QuickSilver2002, 9:58 AM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-06-2003, 03:36 PM
AWSM_06
Racer

Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (gonbad)

There is no difference in the LS1/LS6 blocks from 2001 ---. There may be a difference between 01 and 02 but an 01 LS1 is the same as an 01 LS6 block and you get the drill.
The only difference between the 01 and 02 is the cam is stouter, hence the 02' and 03' Z06 has 405 BHP and the 01' 385BHP. And I do believe the firing order is also changed in the 02 and 03's to smooth out the lope effect of the bigger cam. Nevertheless, I think the blocks from all 3 years are still the LS1
Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

A forged crank is in the 2500 range for whatever stoke you choose, if you are going to spend this kind of money why not spend more sleave the block and go stroker, at least that was my take, the bigger pistons etc cost about the same. I have a blower motor now and realize that the belt driven blower has not worked with the bigger inches but for NOS guys it would make sense.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:39 AM
Mike Morgan
Racer

Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (NEPTUNEBILL)

A forged crank is in the 2500 range for whatever stoke you choose, if you are going to spend this kind of money why not spend more sleave the block and go stroker, at least that was my take, the bigger pistons etc cost about the same. I have a blower motor now and realize that the belt driven blower has not worked with the bigger inches but for NOS guys it would make sense.
A lot of the problems end up being parts availability. We finally have 2 darton sleeved blocks that took a while to get. There were some major improvements to the sleeves after the first batch.
With cranks, 4" stroke forged cranks are finally becoming readily available, but at one point a year or two ago there was a 6 month wait. If you want a custom stroke be patient.

My "dream" package is an all bore 388 CI motor with a custom billet stock stroke crank, Darton Block, custom 1/2" head studs, Stage III 6.0L heads, custom solid roller w/ roller rockers, MMS S/C kit with upgraded F1 blower making about 20psi of boost. That should get you upwards of 1000 RWHP.

Any takers :)

The Darton sleeves should be readily available starting in Sept, once that happens I think you'll see some big things happenning with LS1 motors. One of our blocks is getting the 427CI treatment and an F1 blower going into a TransAm with a whole slew of support products. That will be one crazy ride!!!

[Modified by Mike Morgan, 10:40 PM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 09:08 PM
AWSM_06
Racer

Mike,
Mike, Stopped by late yesterday and saw the new motor ready to go in. I was unable to get to a phone most of the day today. How's progress on the car?
Old 08-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Quote [My "dream" package is an all bore 388 CI motor with a custom billet stock stroke crank, Darton Block, custom 1/2" head studs, Stage III 6.0L heads, custom solid roller w/ roller rockers, MMS S/C kit with upgraded F1 blower making about 20psi of boost. That should get you upwards of 1000 RWHP]
Dammit, Mike. Stole my idea! :D :D
Old 08-08-2003, 02:33 AM
Mike Morgan
Racer

Mike, Stopped by late yesterday and saw the new motor ready to go in. I was unable to get to a phone most of the day today. How's progress on the car?
Just about done. Rob worked late tonight. I think all that was left was the intercooler and plumbing. He told me it would be on the dyno by time I got in tomorrow :)
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 AM
Mike Morgan
Racer

Default Re: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block (Andy@AandACorvette)

Quote [My "dream" package is an all bore 388 CI motor with a custom billet stock stroke crank, Darton Block, custom 1/2" head studs, Stage III 6.0L heads, custom solid roller w/ roller rockers, MMS S/C kit with upgraded F1 blower making about 20psi of boost. That should get you upwards of 1000 RWHP]
Dammit, Mike. Stole my idea! :D :D
So what are you waiting for :) Your car's been on stands too long. I have this bitchen solid roller profile I came up with for our Stg III heads. Hell King Kong sounds awesome on the dyno, I could only imagine what a C5 would sound like with that combo!!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:37 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Awwww, that's sooo sweet!!!

Vendors getting along with each other! :D :jester
Old 08-08-2003, 10:17 AM
AWSM_06
Racer

Just about done. Rob worked late tonight. I think all that was left was the intercooler and plumbing. He told me it would be on the dyno by time I got in tomorrow :)
Sounds Great! Keep me posted!

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Popped for Forged Short Block

Old 08-08-2003, 10:18 AM
AWSM_06
Racer

Awwww, that's sooo sweet!!!

Vendors getting along with each other! :D :jester
:lolg:
Old 08-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Mike Morgan
Racer

Maybe we should AWSM_TQ. Maybe some 100 octane and a pulley swap and we'll hit 600 RWTQ. Enjoy the car this weekend !!!!
:cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 01:06 AM
AWSM_06
Racer

Maybe we should AWSM_TQ. Maybe some 100 octane and a pulley swap and we'll hit 600 RWTQ. Enjoy the car this weekend !!!!
:cheers:
Alright Mike, you gonna tell 'em or should I?.... The numbers are in: just picked my car and the initial results are 640 RWHP and 575 RWTQ!! Whoa! That's an increase of about 30 # ft. of torque!. I am impressed, and the car runs smooooooth as silk! Thanks Mike. Let's see what you can do with a little smaller pulley in the days to come!

Quick Reply: Finally Popped for Forged Short Block