C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 10:35 AM
0to60n4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW!

I got my car back on Tuesday of this week, and all I can say is WOW.. During my test drive I used different words but I'll keep the post G-rated. My car is a 2001 Yellow convertible. When I first dropped it off they did just the TTi kit and a z-06 clutch. When I got it home I was having some problems with the front rubber coupling blowing off so I didn't have much boost and it ran like crap. I was also getting allot of oil into the intake of the car due to the turbo's not draining properly or filling up too fast or something. But in a nutshell my first impression of the kit was not a good one. So I called Detroit Speedworks and told them what was happening. They promptly got my car back into the shop and fixed those issues. One of my complaints about the original install was that the car would not rev up high enough. What they discovered is that the stock valves were floating in the upper RPM ranges and thus decreasing performance. They suggested I install new valve springs. I said well if were going to do that might as well go with ported heads and more boost. So they went ahead and installed cnc ported heads, upped the boost, re-tuned it and WOW!!! The thing really moves!! I am very impressed with the Tti kit but I am even more impressed with Detroit Speedworks customer service. The thing is really like driving an amusement park ride. I am no stranger to horsepower. I have a Pro-Street 1000hp drag car that I race a few times a year. The rush you get from driving a vet under boost rivals that of my drag car plus the vet idles, runs on pump gas, has A/C, gets great mileage, and can be driven long distances. Cruising down the highway in 5th gear and deciding to pass someone now is sooo much damn fun.. The boost kicks in and the car pulls hard. Don’t get me wrong the most fun is launching it thru the first three gears, but the extra power while cruising is really fun to play with too. All in all this thing is a great toy now!! So far I have put about 500 miles on it and no major issues. The check engine light comes on but if I reset it, it goes away. I’m sure you all want to know the dyno numbers so here they are. Max Power 454.6 hp @5500 RPM Max Torque 482.3 @4250 RPM. I think it is running at about 9-10 lbs of boost, my autometer gauge shows 12 but speedworks said the gauge shows higher than actual. I would post the dyno’s but have no Idea how to do that. The power band of this car is very broad. Starts pulling at about 2500 rpm and pulls HARD all the way to redline in all 6 gears.. Had her up to 180 yesterday with the top down on Interstate 94!! Sorry this post turned out to be so long.

Mod’s recap:
Tti Stage 1, 42lb injectors, stock fuel pumps, corsa cat back, bassani off road pipe, no cats, cnc ported heads, about 10lbs boost
Old 07-31-2003, 11:06 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (0to60n4)

Congratulations, Sounds like an awesome ride. It's amazing what a little FI will do to the fun factor of these cars. :thumbs:

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything (#s on the dyno don't mean all that much). But I'm curious as to why these turbo kits don't seem to put down the #s that the ATIs do. A comparable ATI at 10psi should be well over 525hp on the dyno. I wonder if it is a true difference in HP or just an anomaly of how the inertia dyno operates.

In theory, the turbo should be able to produce more HP at the same boost levels. I wonder if the boost levels in a turbo and supercharger are just not comparable because of back pressure. I wonder if the dynamic cylinder pressure on a turbo is lower than a supercharger at a given psi.

I'm just thinking out loud here.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Devil Dog
Melting Slicks

Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (QuickSilver2002)

Detroit Speedworks uses a Mustang Dyno so the numbers are gonna be lower than a Dynojet.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:46 AM
0to60n4
Instructor

Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (Devil Dog)

I hope to put the car on a dyno jet soon and will post the difference in numbers.. I also plan to attend the Milan drag day and will post my 1/4 mile time tooo
Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I was also getting allot of oil into the intake of the car due to the turbo's not draining properly or filling up too fast or something.
Curious what the fix was to this? From seeing TTi's pictures, the oil return line is quite short, and makes a hard right angle into the oil pan. Seemed a bit worrisome to me - did Speedworks have to redesign the oil return a bit?

What they discovered is that the stock valves were floating in the upper RPM ranges and thus decreasing performance. They suggested I install new valve springs.
Is this related to boost somehow, or were your stockers just getting tired?

Lastly, what is the CEL code all about?

-Jake
Old 07-31-2003, 02:30 PM
0to60n4
Instructor

Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (JakeL)

Jake,

They are not using the oil drain line supplied by TTi. They use a hard pipe I believe it is a parker fitting. They also put some restrictors in the inlet side to regulate how much oil can enter the system.

The valve floating issue I assume is related to boost. The car has about 18,000 miles on it so I would think the stock valve springs would still be pretty strong.

The check engine light problem still needs to be addressed. Typically check engine lights are not serious in nature and are usually related to emissions equipment. I assume that is the case here.

Jim
Old 07-31-2003, 02:58 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Good info - thanks!

-Jake
Old 07-31-2003, 03:31 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on the new mods! :cheers: It sounds like they built you quite a BEAST. Could you please post some pics of it?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Trey395
Instructor

Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (LuvmyC5)

You had valve float with only 450hp? Is that normal? :skep:
Old 07-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,064 Likes on 904 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (Trey395)

:cool: :smash:
Old 07-31-2003, 06:19 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

The check engine light problem still needs to be addressed. Typically check engine lights are not serious in nature and are usually related to emissions equipment. I assume that is the case here.
Have you checked the codes your getting with the check engine light https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=26&TopicID=1
It may be something as simple as the engine needing more air the MAF can read, I've heard of this happening in some FI cars, this can be solved with a better MAF. :cheers:
Old 07-31-2003, 07:24 PM
king_pin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (JakeL)

[QUOTE] I was also getting allot of oil into the intake of the car due to the turbo's not draining properly or filling up too fast or something.

:cheers: Just had mine looked at it is doing the same thing took mine to see if it was running to fat my buddy was behind me and saw it smoking when i would let off the gas my MAF was wet with oil :confused: did some futher checking and the oil is being sucked out of the valve cover and right into the inlet tube :mad
Old 07-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Congratulations! I know you weren't very happy initially, but it sounds like the problems are behind you now. Probably WAAAAAY behind you. 180 MPH. WOW! :cheers:
Old 07-31-2003, 08:27 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (QuickSilver2002)

Jim,

Glad your happy, and at 180mph it will only take you 20 minutes to get back for us to check the SES light :).

As for the turbo drains etc, we have changed the drain systems to special parker fittings to eliminate external leaks and reclocked them to allow them to drain easier. In addition we also have a restriction system we have used for years on our bottom drainer turbos. Also, there is a couple of great ways to vent the crank case, this is an issue if over 7psi.

Quicksilver,
We have done plenty of ATI cars. Not one of them made even 400 as installed from the MFG. Typical Z06's will make 320ish and base C5's will make 270-280's on our MD. It is certified twice a year and is used regularly by GM and Roush, mainly due to the accuracy to their "predicted" and measure output. I am not trying to start an issue, just giving some background on our system at DSI. Base on BHP #'s and calculated driveline losses, you will see the #'s generated by our MD 1750 are pretty spot on.

Phil
Detroit Speedworks
Old 07-31-2003, 08:30 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (king_pin)

King_Pin,

Nice talking to you today, We got talking and I totally forgot to give you the PN's for the new fittings for the drains. If you need pics of the vent system we use on your application I can send digital pics.

Phil
Old 07-31-2003, 08:51 PM
king_pin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (RoadRebel)

Hey Phil thanks for all your help :thumbs:
Old 07-31-2003, 10:42 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

Ooh! That sounds great that you're coming to Milan. Now we can have you and Vetzilla matchup in the battle of TTi Yellow verts! :cool: :D :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW!

Old 07-31-2003, 10:46 PM
0to60n4
Instructor

Default Re: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW! (The DBK)

Vetzilla is going to have a great view of my tail lights :yesnod:
Old 07-31-2003, 11:38 PM
VETZILLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vetzilla is going to have a great view of my tail lights :yesnod:
Jim

I thought it was illegal to purchase and use drugs that alter ones perspective of reality. If you really want this fantasy to come true I will be happy to switch my license plate with with my babysitters 1984 chevette, the way I look at it if I miss a shift this should give you at least half a chance at achieving your very lofty goal.

Oh yeah by the way pine tree air fresheners and fuzzy dice really don't make your car faster I know this may come as a shock to you but yeah its true.

If you continue to post such incoherent and rediculious statements the fourm may have to do a intervention :grouphug: to pull you back down to reality.

Give a guy a little boost and see what happens, they become completely dillusional, given your current state of mind I will talk to Zilla beg her to forgive your insolence and not obliterate you as she has to so many others that have tried :nono:

On the other hand if Zilla is not in a compassionate mood I might suggest bringing SCUBA gear to Milan, this way you won't have to breath all the exhaust fumes spewing out of her tailpipes that you will definitely be driving through :rofl:
Old 07-31-2003, 11:41 PM
VETZILLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All kidding aside I am very happy you are satisfied with your setup, congrats.

Now go get some professional help, your crazy :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Quick Reply: TTi by Detroit Speedworks..WOW!