C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions?

Hi all. I am most likely going to be upgrading my fuel pump on my D1SC powered 01Z06. Ive been having some problems that fuel pressure dropping intermittently and need to have my tuner look at it (See this thread for the symptoms http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=608963) so I figured I mind as well upgrade while I am in there even if its not the pump.

With my set up (in sig) what do you recommend I go with as far as make and volume? I understand that to big is just as bad as to small correct? I am not aware of a setting in the LS1edit that will allow me to change for volume. What would be my safest bet for driving now, and would allow for expansion down the road (stroke, cam, ~650 RWHP goal).

Lastly is it common for a pump to go at only 6k miles or so? I rarely beat on the car. Or perhaps we will find another problem?

Thanks for listening..

Old 07-21-2003, 07:05 PM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (Rookiedyn)

I went w/ LPE pump. I'm running ~12+lbs boost hoping for 600+hp after tune.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:20 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (boblackhardtop)

Racetronix.
My LPE Pump was bad.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:09 PM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (MelloYellow)

Aren't both walbro ?
Old 07-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (boblackhardtop)

The Racetronix comes with a very nice plug and play harness with a seperate power source for the higher amps that the pump draws.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:56 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (CHRIS NJ C5)

Walbro makes the stock pump too, so they're not all the same pump. Not to say the Racetronix and LPE are/aren't the same, but I'm pretty sure they are different. I compared them a bit when we swapped them out and there were some minor visual differences.

Either way, my LPE was worse than stock. Could have been a bum pump of course. Just realying what I experienced.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:02 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

I went with the Aeromotive A1000 pump and pump controller. It fits under the rear wheel well liner. It makes noise but when you drive down the road, it mixes in with all the other noise and you dont know it is there.

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 07-22-2003, 01:30 AM
BlownZ06
Advanced

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (vetterdstr)

Vetterdstr, how can you stand that noisy fuel pump. Andy installed that thing on my car and I had it removed about ten minutes later.

I would recommend the Walbro or Racetronix with the Kenne Bell boost-a-pump.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:40 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Try mounting it on some 1/8" thick rubber. Or order some rubber standoffs from McMaster so that even the bolt is isolated.

I went with the Aeromotive A1000 pump and pump controller. It fits under the rear wheel well liner. It makes noise but when you drive down the road, it mixes in with all the other noise and you dont know it is there.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:51 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (BlownZ06)

It really isnt a problem for me. I will try the isolators when I tear everything apart next time to put an end to the vibration at an idle.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions?

Thanks for all the input guys. It looks pretty straight forward. Although I knew vetterdstr would chime in with something unique :) I will look into that pump as well.

I wasn't sure if I needed a certain volume pump etc. I was looking at the RX-C5LS1-FPK-2 from Racetronix. If any forum vendors or you guys want to chime in with a good place to purchase from I would appreciate it.

thanks!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:37 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You pretty much want the most volume you can get.

There is one downside to a high volume pump. The pump pushes the same amount of fuel at all times (with a constant voltage) and the regulator keeps the pressure constant at the regulation point. The unneeded volume goes back into the tank. This has the negative effect of heating the fuel faster than a low volume pump would.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:44 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (QuickSilver2002)

This is the advantage to the Aeromotive setup... You can adjust the controller to kick into high hear (pumping more fuel) at say 3,000 rpms. This way the fuel is not being pumped to its maximum until you go over that rpm...

Old 07-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The temperature rise caused by the fuel pump's higher volume over stock is so minor it can not even be quantified. You guys are barking up the wrong tree with this theory. The ambient temperature around the fuel tanks and lines has a 100x greater effect on fuel temps when compared to the pump alone.

The Aeromotive pump will not flow as much as the Walbro pump using the same factory lines. The Aeromotive's life span is only a fraction of the Walbro's. Using the Aeromotive pump will defeat the purpose of the fill bucket in the tank which is used for high-g fueling.

If you want a pump booster that varies its output linearly based on manifold pressure consider the MSD unit.

The Racetronix and LPE pumps although both made by Walbro are not the same.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix
Old 07-22-2003, 12:28 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions? (Racetronix)

Racetronics, I appreciate what you are saying and since you sell this stuff for a living I believe what you are saying 100%. The Aeromotive pump and controller on my car was sold to me when I upgraded to the Stage II S/C setup I have now. What I am doing is simply talking about what I have and how it works. I am not saying it is better than other systems. I will certainly "upgrade" to another system when mine goes down the tubes "and from what you are saying, that should be soon"

Best of luck to everyone in their mod decisions. :blueangel:

Old 07-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Try to stay away from fuels that contain high concentrations of alcohol as this will shorten the life of your Aeromotive pump greatly. When running an Aeromotive pump you should have a pre-filter on the suction side to protect the pump and a small particle filter on the output to prevent debris from clogging your injectors.

Racetronix
Old 07-22-2003, 01:07 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Thanks for the helpfull hints! :)

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions?

Old 07-22-2003, 03:08 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The temperature rise caused by the fuel pump's higher volume over stock is so minor it can not even be quantified. You guys are barking up the wrong tree with this theory. The ambient temperature around the fuel tanks and lines has a 100x greater effect on fuel temps when compared to the pump alone.

The Aeromotive pump will not flow as much as the Walbro pump using the same factory lines. The Aeromotive's life span is only a fraction of the Walbro's. Using the Aeromotive pump will defeat the purpose of the fill bucket in the tank which is used for high-g fueling.

If you want a pump booster that varies its output linearly based on manifold pressure consider the MSD unit.

The Racetronix and LPE pumps although both made by Walbro are not the same.

Racetronix
I was thinking more about the added exposure caused by more volume, not the heat generated by pumping.

It seems that the fuel temp change would be significant for cars that actually push the fuel up to the fuel rail where it gets pretty darn hot.

Again, I'm no expert, but I think this is one of the reasons GM moved the regulation point back (trading one problem for another). My understanding is that evaporative emissions are one of the worst problems in today’s cars.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Perhaps this is one of their reasons although it is a sealed system. The cost savings would be a more likely consideration as the fuel system component count is reduced.

Either way it makes serious problems when building HP.

Racetonix
Old 07-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Stu in CA
Pro

The '03 service manual describes the new FSS "on-demand" fuel system and claims the change was to reduce evaporative emissions that are higher in return-line systems that expose fuel in fuel rail to heat and return the heated fuel to the tank.

But like Jack said, it is a closed system so it may be GM's PC answer for reduced components and cost. Sure ups the the labor rate on tank r&r when you have to r&r the powertrain. Guess I'll do the clutch while I'm looking at it.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Fuel Pump- Suggestions?