C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going with Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going with Vortech

Well I finally decided on the Vortech.

I have talked to numerous tuners out there. Andy, Chris, Nate, the list goes on and on. Since November I have been trying to decide which system to go with, TT, ATI, Magnusson, NOS and big CI. I went with the Vortech with the conclusion of the following; easy install, easy maintenance, good reliability, no new hood (Magnusson), smooth linear power delivery (turbo to abrupt for me), no trips to refill my power (NOS).

I was looking at the TT from Extreme but did not like the dyno results. It seems the car would be difficult to drive with the huge gains in TQ so suddenly and the inherent flaw of the system (small turbos to fit under the hood) HP dies over 5000 rpm. I really felt if they could have put bigger turbos on the kit or moved the power curve up 1000 rpm the system would have made much more HP and would be a lot easier to drive. The system seems to die once the HP and TQ meet instead of the HP continuing its climb, it’s done. Plus if anything happened to the car, I would have to spend $1800 to ship the car back and forth to Tempe to get it worked on. Just my .02

Went against the ATI, it just seems that every other day someone finds a new major problem with it. Great power gains just not for me.

The Vortech install will be similar in location to the ATI. We are going to put the SC on the passenger side of the car. We will be using the VORTECH T-TRIM. I know it’s noisier than the S-Trim and especially the SQ. But I have been told the T-Trim gets to boost earlier and can support future engine upgrades. Also heard on the SQ they have had some gear problems in cold climates. Plan on running 5-7lbs of boost, most likely on the low side since the ZO6 has the higher compression motor. I am about 6800-7000 ft above sea level.

The aftercooler will reside where the radiator overflow once called home. The cooled air only travels about 18-24” to the throttle body staying cool the whole way. The battery will be relocated to the trunk, and the radiator overflow will find its new home where the battery used to be. We will be using an 8-rib CNC pulley custom made. Intake will come just in front of the left front tire and will run 3” mandrel bent tubing under the car to the passenger side.

The water pump will need to be extended a few inches to line up with the pulleys This setup will solve the problem with the Vortech taking 2-4 hours to change belts. I think this would allow for 30-60 min. belt changes. I will be using the BBK throttle body a K&N cone air filter, LG motorsports Jet Hot Coated LT headers, free flow cats, and the Corsa X-pipe. Thinking about going to the GHL exhaust, but will wait and see how loud the car is first. 42lb SVO injectors and most likely Racetronix fuel system.

If anyone is interested I hope to take pictures as the install progresses.

Yano

Old 04-18-2003, 12:11 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Going with Vortech (Yano)

Congrats. :smash: :smash: It certainly sounds like you've done your research. :thumbs: Good luck.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:02 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Brian,

Who is doing the work? It sounds similar to the PTC setup.

Mark
Old 04-18-2003, 05:58 PM
MaddMagRII
Instructor

Default Re: Going with Vortech (VortechC5)

definitely sounds like a PTC setup, last i remember, one of the first kits out and was retailing around 12 grand. I would stick with an original setuo from vortech or ati, not a custom "tuner" kit.
just my .02

good luck
Old 04-18-2003, 10:33 PM
av8or3
Burning Brakes

Go for it man and good luck to you! :cheers:

[Modified by av8or3, 10:34 PM 4/18/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Going with Vortech (av8or3)

Wow how stupid do I feel. :(

I did a search on the PTC Vortech setup and this is basically the kit I am getting. I am not paying $12K for the kit or anywhere near that number. The guy doing my install basically said he designed about 95% of the kit. I have only been a member here since November, but I don't remember anyone talking about this kit.

Thanks for info guys. :banghead: :banghead: :leaving:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...=226655&page=1 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=147133

[Modified by Yano, 11:46 PM 4/18/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Jackj42
Instructor

There is a story about a Z06 Vortech install this month in Corvette Fever. IMO the downside of the kit is all the equipment is in the front of the engine and ,aintenance is difficult especially if you have a problem.
I', not familiar with the kit to install you are talking about.
Having said that, I love mine so far and would recommend it. Looks great, power at higher RPM means tires don't go up in smoke as easily.

Jack
Old 04-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Going with Vortech (Jackj42)

I had one of the first PTC kits, it worked flawlessly. It had a V trim S/C. Sounded like an F-15 fighter. :D here is a little Video of it running with the hood up. http://members.shaw.ca/toyzforboyz/S...%20Vette4.mpeg
Old 04-20-2003, 03:09 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Going with Vortech (racer44)

Your car sure did sound sweet. I am thinking of maybe getting the SQ Trim and the T-Trim.

Use the T-trim for weekends and racing, and use the SQ-trim for silent daily operation.

With this setup should only take about 1-2 hours or so to switch out the SC.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:03 AM
av8or3
Burning Brakes

You have to consider the different "tune" required for each of the
superchargers. I'm not sure it would be as simple as changing them.
FWIW
Old 04-23-2003, 02:22 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Going with Vortech (av8or3)

Not much going on this week so far. Seems to be a waiting game. Lots of parts ordered just not everything delivered yet!!!

Waiting on the water pump back from the welder. Sent my Alternator out for a light polishing.

Installed 42lb SVO injectors.

Installed Euro headlights with HID kit from LAPD

waiting on delivery of Hotchkiss sways,Blistein shocks, Eradispeeds rotors, rear mini tub kit from Nate at Extreme, and A-Pillar Pod for gauges.

Also, finally decided on the GHL exhaust. After seeing that awesome burnout by Shawn and hearing how that car sounded I said what the hell!!!

Yano

Old 04-24-2003, 05:31 PM
jeffh355
Burning Brakes

Keep the updates coming. Looking forward to the progress!!! :cheers:
Old 05-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Going with Vortech (jeffh355)

SC is on. :D All belts and pulleys are on. Just need to get a part of the tensioner machined and installed.

This week should have have the plumbing and the aftercooler installed. Working on the minitub install. They didnt leave any ducts for the brake cooling vents. Anyone out there have the mini tubs? Did you cut out the vents yourself?? Any tips appreciated.

Hoping to be able to fire her up Friday. Will keep you posted. Still waiting on my GHL's to be shipped.

:D
Old 05-05-2003, 09:38 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Congrats on the progress. :hurray: Keep them updates coming! :smash: :smash:
Old 05-05-2003, 10:48 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

This sounds like a great project! :yesnod: Looking forward to your results and driving impressions. :)

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 05-05-2003, 07:47 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Yano's car is looking really good. :thumbs: I stopped by the shop to take a look at it today. RMCR does good work. I'm looking forward to seeing it run!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:52 PM
NotaZ06
Racer

Default Re: Going with Vortech (VortechC5)

Thanks for keeping everyone posted! :thumbs: Now time for some vids :D
Old 05-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Going with Vortech (NotaZ06)

Wish I knew how to post videos or hell even pictures for that matter. I used to use boomspeed or whatever it’s called but it doesn’t seem to upload my pictures anymore?? :confused: :mad

Got my polished Alternator back from the shop, turns out these puppies weren’t made to be taken apart!! :conehead Shop had to solder them apart and then back together. Alternator looks pretty sharp, gives the engine a very uniform look with the polished Vortech on one side and the polished ALT. on the other side.

Started cutting apart the rear of the car today to install the mini tub from Extreme Motorsports. Test fit my 2 gauge pod, doesn’t seem to fit real flush. :confused: Giving Nate a call in the am to see if there is something different about a 2003 ZO6 or I just got a bad batch!!! :skep:

All of my tubing should be back from the powder coater Thursday. I decided on painting them the same color as my ZO6, Quick Silver :thumbs:

Car looks pretty good lowered to the bottom of the factory bolt, about .625-.875" lower. Mounted my new BFG 295/35/18 Drag Radials on the stock ZO6 wheels. Looks Freaking bad azzzzz. Can't wait to finish the tub I will order the 345/30/18 BFG's once these burn up in the atmosphere. Hello Greenpeace

Can't keep Joe out of the shop, he bought my ZO6 exhaust system and comes by to see if my car is done so he can get his new gears and the ZO6 exhaust installed. I am not giving up the rack just yet!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The next few days should bring about huge changes. The intake pipes should be installed. The aftercooler will be mounted. The new radiator overflow tank mounted. All the pipes, tubing, plumbing, wiring, new fuel pump, and the remainder of the SC install completed. Once the rear mini tub is complete, the battery relocation can be completed. My GHL exhaust system is in the AIR according to Shawn at LAPD and will arrive on FRIDAY!! (Joe you can have your new ZO6 exhaust system on FRIDAY!!!!)

There is a small Corvette auto show at Al Serra Chevrolet on Saturday. I am really hoping that my car will be ready by then. But it always seems to be something that comes up that makes it a week delay!!!!

Oh yeah, almost forget. I ordered a set of the WILWOOD cross drilled slotted rotors from DILUSI on Tuesday; they should be here tomorrow too. I cancelled my order of Eradispeeds after waiting 4 weeks for them to be delivered. :cuss: :cuss:

Hopefully the next few days will be rewarded with major completions!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:25 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Another week and still no car.

The Wilwoods arrived as promised. They look really cool. Got those installed today. Safety wired them together as suggested.

Got the Hotchkiss sway bars installed finally. ( Todd your sways will be in UPS tomorrow)

My GHL exhaust arrived and is installed.

Minitub kit will be finished tomorrow.

Once these basic items are completed we will finish the install of the SC kit, the battery relocation to the trunk and the instrument pod. It turns out that 2003 ZO6's have a different A-pillar. So I had to order a new A-pillar so the 2 gauge Pod A-Pillar would fit.

That's about it so far. So I am hoping for final install this weekend or by Monday at the latest. :rant:

Get notified of new replies

To Going with Vortech

Quick Reply: Going with Vortech