C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargers and A4 transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 10:28 AM
TheBigDog
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Superchargers and A4 transmissions

Just doing some reading in the Tech section concerning A4 transmissions and the power they can handle. Can the stock transmission handle the Magnuson power? The type of driving I do is all street and do not turn down the occasional challange. Just wnt to have all my ducks in a row before I bite the big one.

Thanks,
TheBigDog
Old 01-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Superchargers and A4 transmissions (TheBigDog)

You should be fine with the Mag. I would not reccomend a large converter and running slicks but for street use you shuld be fine. Of course it will eventually shorten the life of the trans but alot depends on your driving style. :seeya
Old 01-27-2003, 03:15 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

I drove mine from Memphis to Daytona then did a little drag racing at Gainesville, made 2 laps around Daytona with everybody else then drove back to Memphis. I averaged 21.5 MPG going to Florida and 22.0 MPG on the trip back to Memphis, I still have the original transmission as well as the stock output shafts, these are on my list of future upgrades but the car runs good and pulls hard when I need it to :D :cheers:
Old 01-27-2003, 01:39 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have an ati with an A4 and researched the trans issue thoroughly on this site and LS-1 tech.com, All agreed that if you do much drag racing or like to floor it on the back roads you'll blow your A4. I was strongly advised to get an upgrade for the tranny. Once you get over around 400rwhp you're in the danger zone. I got an FLP tranny and it's holding up very well. did 12 runs at WOT after a morning of road racing no problems!
Old 01-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Best Advice
My tranny guy here in the Houston area said do NOT let tranny shift into 4th at WOT - apparently 4th gear clutch pack a s s 'y will not handle the shock very many times. I can leave it in 3rd up to 145 mph at WOT - which doesn't happen often - and be fairly safe.

[Modified by Steve02C5, 10:50 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 06:45 AM
Eric94
Drifting

I know several guys using N2O that have had very good luck so far. I realize that it's not "on" all the time like a supercharger, but this one guy is shooting a 150hp shot, and races 3 or 4 times a month. He got over 100,000 miles out of his 98 A4 before having to have the tranny rebuilt.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:01 PM
BLOWN IN NC
Pro

Default Re: Superchargers and A4 transmissions (Eric94)

Realize that boost is not constantly "on" with superchargers either--just when you get into it--especially the ATI
Old 02-13-2003, 03:43 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Superchargers and A4 transmissions

[I'm pasting my post from C5 Tech Section]

So, how do you know your tranny is failing? Big bang? Or hard upshifts/downshifts?

I gave up a C5/M6, and I just bought a C5/ATI-8psi with stock A4 tranny and it's Dyno tuned to 487RWhp. I've had it for two days, and it takes some getting used to. The SC has been on it less than 500miles.

It shifts somewhat abruptly in my opinion for not having a shift kit, I have to feather it between gears to get a smoother shift. Also flooring it while it's quietly cruising along in 4th (40mph) causes it to downshift twice, and all hell breaks loose. The A&A mod exhaust makes me think the mufflers fell off, the rear tires start dancing all over the lane, the nose rapidly points to either sides of the road. That then requires rapid corrections at the wheel while quickly removing the right foot from the gas pedal. Since I had a death grip on the steering wheel during those few moments the steering problems weren't caused by the front wheels not being straight. A few heartbeats later I start breathing again. That's about when my girlfriend starts beating on me with one fist with her other hand trying to unlock her door.

Anyway, what are the warning signs to a tranny failure? And how can it be made to shift smoother?

Get notified of new replies

To Superchargers and A4 transmissions

Quick Reply: Superchargers and A4 transmissions