C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mellow Yellow, PCV check valve question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 01:23 AM
SomeDay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mellow Yellow, PCV check valve question

Regarding http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=327801

I'm curious about adding a check valve to get rid of oil coming out of the valve cover line.

In your post it says to install the check valve in the PCV line. What I'm wondering is, you said the line that oil is coming out of is a fresh air line, is there any reason not to install the check valve in this line instead? So that air can enter the valve cover, but oil can't come out.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2003, 02:08 PM
SomeDay
Instructor

Default Re: Mellow Yellow, PCV check valve question (SomeDay)

TtT
Old 01-03-2003, 04:05 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Mellow Yellow, PCV check valve question (SomeDay)

In your post it says to install the check valve in the PCV line. What I'm wondering is, you said the line that oil is coming out of is a fresh air line, is there any reason not to install the check valve in this line instead? So that air can enter the valve cover, but oil can't come out.
Thanks
There are a bunch of different openings on the valve covers to release crankcase fumes/pressure and breath in fresh air.

You want to completely Cap the Throttle Body Fresh Air line (the throttle body nub, not the valvecover nub) for an FI setup. You then re-route the fresh air nub to a breather or better yet in FRONT of the blower but behind the MAF if possible. I don't think you can do that with an ATI, so I'd use a breather there. For the Vortex the kit addresses this, caps the TB and re-routes the fresh air exactly as I mentioned.

re: the PCV, it is a weak check valve. It will be forced open under boost, pressurize the valvecovers, then shoot out oil thru the fresh air intake nub. To prevent that you put a check-valve in place of the PCV or in front of the PCV, between the PCV and the TB PCV hole. You point the arrow towards the TB on the check valve.

[Modified by MelloYellow, 4:06 PM 1/3/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Mellow Yellow, PCV check valve question

Quick Reply: Mellow Yellow, PCV check valve question