C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel needs with ECS kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 07:54 PM
dhorner77
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Fuel needs with ECS kit

Looking for some experience with a problem I’m having. I’ve had my car for a few years now with a decent (albeit basic) NA build and decided this winter to add a blower. I went with the ECS kit, and am having fueling issues. Specifically, fuel pressure is dropping after 5k as low as 40psi. When the tuner saw this he stopped as to not hurt anything a said bring it back when you’ve fixed the fueling issue.

I have a 255lph drop in pump and 80lb injectors that ECS recommended. My tuner says he likes to use A&A’s (or equivalent) stage 1 fuel system as a minimum, as in something with an additional pump working off a Hobbs switch. He said that yeah, it’s a bit of overkill, but at least I’m covered. While discussing the car with some friends, the 525 Hellcat pump was suggested. The logic was, “If it works for 700hp stock it should work for that”. I am definitely in that range, the car made 599 before he shut it down, and he said there is probably 50 or so left in it once it has fuel.

Now, if I need to spend the $1000 on the fuel, I will do that. But if I can keep it simple (and cheaper) but just doing a drop in pump, that seems more appealing. Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA
Old 05-27-2022, 07:33 AM
nfantbabyjesus
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your friends are correct. If you are just shooting for 600ish a hellcat pump would be fine. I’m on your tuners side though with building it larger than the currrent needs, because you will definitely upgrade further whether is a pulley swap or blower swap.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:02 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Lingenfelter has a drop in that replaces the stock pump.
Good for 700whp supercharged.
Simple plug and play.
i know two people that rid of their BAP and went this route
Its also E85 good.
https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.YpaQUi2ZNQI
Old 05-31-2022, 07:17 PM
dhorner77
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
Lingenfelter has a drop in that replaces the stock pump.
Good for 700whp supercharged.
Simple plug and play.
i know two people that rid of their BAP and went this route
Its also E85 good.
https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.YpaQUi2ZNQI
I suppose I left out a key detail…my car is a ‘01 so that kit won’t work as it’s only for 2003.5 and up.

Unless I can find anything else over the next couple weeks I think I’m just gonna do the kit from A&A for an external on a Hobbs switch.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:05 PM
Justin Raney
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I see aem has a e85 compatible pump but i dont have any experience with their fuel pumps just racetronix 255 with relay harness.
AEM 50-1220 E85 Compatible High Flow In-Tank Fuel Pump 320lph w/ Universal Kit | eBay
Old 06-03-2022, 02:57 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Plenty of threads on the forum with people building out a system that works well.

If you have an 01 - you have a returnless system. There are debates about this point, but in my experience, I continued to see pressure drop even with 'enough pump' due to the returnless system. I converted to a return system (Stock 97/8 fuel rail setup) and my pressure drop issues went away.

There are a few ways to sort this - you can indeed get after market rails, after market regulator and use the stock hard lines with adapters, then convert to a 97/8 fuel filter and use the stock stuff going to and from the tank.

A word of caution with the hellcat or the 450 pump - they need higher amps than the stock single pin power bulk head fitting can supply - IE, it will work at first, but it will eventually burn the pin out in the bulk head connector (ask me how I know). Relatively simple solution to this is to convert the ground wire to a secondary power pin and use the bulkhead as a grounding point and also ground the bulkhead on the outside to the frame.

Per a thread I put together on this a while back, the 450 and i suspect the hell cat pump are not necessary drop in and will require some modification to the stock bucket.

Depends how DIY you want to be on this...

edit - some good discussions in here and other options.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-canister.html

Last edited by SmoothFRC; 06-03-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:02 PM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

FWIW, I was told that its all good changing to an E85 capable pump for it but the oem lines do not like E85... I'm currently doing all this and running new lines front to back...
Old 06-06-2022, 03:06 PM
dhorner77
Instructor

I appreciate the responses. After doing some more reading and talking to my tuner I decided to go with A&A’s stage 1 fuel system adding in a pump to work off a Hobbs switch. I’ll post back the results after I get it installed and tuned.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:20 PM
Cohiba
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I understand the NOVI 1500 kit adds 200 HP to a completely stock car without any other parts other than what comes in the kit and a tune.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:40 PM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Remember, do it once cos you gonna always want more lol
Old 06-12-2022, 01:23 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

you can get about 15% more fuel flow by installing a filter and a regulator in the engine bay.

Last edited by romandian; 06-12-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel needs with ECS kit

Quick Reply: Fuel needs with ECS kit