C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 12:38 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Lets talk fuel...

So i'm in the process of boosting my car... seems like forever now.
Anyways, I'm building the fuel system from scratch and can't decide what to use for fuel.
I live exactly half way between a station that sells E85 and one that has race gas on pump not sure but i think its 100oct unleaded...
Super pump gas here is 93 so I could pair that with meth...
FLA weather, so its hot all year except a week or so in January/Feb...

I like the idea of corn but my car sits for long periods of time and I heard it can gum up the works...
Race gas is expensive but since I wouldn't have to fill up much, cost is moot considering what's been spent on **** so far... can we even run unleaded gas??
Not really fond of meth but whatever...

Car is a 99 vert, power source is s/c kit
Stock LS1 with 243's no cam (yet) so whatever compression is for that.
Looking to make 550-600 max
Will be used mainly for mexico runs on nice days...so not a daily driver.

What would be the best fuel to run for power & safety for my particular situation?

TiA

Old 02-13-2021, 08:06 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Meth will be good for the way u use ur car. From Racing to sitting. How long will the car be sitting?
Old 02-14-2021, 08:09 AM
chris308
Melting Slicks

1 - 2 weeks due to work/family is not uncommon, more if I have to travel overseas again. Once its back up and running that is.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:15 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by chris308
1 - 2 weeks due to work/family is not uncommon, more if I have to travel overseas again. Once its back up and running that is.
Lol thats nothing. You can go much much more than that. If ur system supports 85 it's like the million of cars that run 85. U hear anything about those vehicle having problems or they have to make sure they run the car before it gums up.. The only time i hear about this is modified cars which i don't understand.
And buy the way i've had my meth pump on my car for over 10yrs and in that time frame my cars has been down over a yrs and months at a time. Has not been rebuilt and it's never been drained ,100% meth has been in that pump since day one. And i bought it used from a member here, so i don't know how long he had it. I'm sure many will disagree, but this is my experience. I know it's going to go but thats why i run 2 pumps for safety and actually run the pump at close to the stated preusse because one will not get close to running the stated 250 lbs pressure or 300 or what ever it is.. When i added the 2nd pump and went from my a/f went from 11.5 to buried my A/f where my car flooded and killed the spark plugs. Just giving you some insight. Do your research and go with what ur comfortable with its ur car.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:06 PM
1BadLS6
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree, leaving it sit with e85 for weeks or months won't hurt anything. Myself as well as several friends have let e85 cars sit over the winter and they fire up in the spring without issue. I have a buddy who let a DSM sit for a few years before he rebuilt it and he had zero issues with the fuel system gumming up. We drained the tank and put fresh fuel in and it fired up no problem.

The only issues I've ever have had were with a couple of carburated dirt bikes several years back that sat for months and the tiny orifice in the pilot jet got gummed up with ethenol.

The ethenol fuel here in Colorado changes % when it gets colder and can even be different in the summer time depending on where you get it. I bought a little test kit to test the % and adjust my stoich in the tune accordingly. Some might find that annoying but it's a pretty quick and easy check and worth it to me to get the benefits of E. Especially since 93 is harder to find here. Being in FL I bet you would get pretty consistent % since it rarely gets cold.

Last edited by 1BadLS6; 02-14-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:34 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

For that low of a power level, just use E85 if it is available. Get a solid in tank pump or two. I would get ahold of Bret @BLOWNBLUEZ06 , and tell him your goals. He can set you up with an entire system.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-15-2021, 03:30 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are that close to an E85 station its a no brainer. Best fueling solution for forced induction by far.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:42 AM
chris308
Melting Slicks

That's good news, I hear awesome things about E85!!

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk fuel...

Quick Reply: Lets talk fuel...