C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best ls coils for boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 05:36 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default best ls coils for boost

I was looking to upgrade the ignition and doing a bit of research. Seems the old heat sink round coils off the trucks provide a much better jolt and I had them lying around so I went for it.

they have a different wiring harness but it plugs right in. I'm wondering of the tuning opportunity with these coils to take advantage. Only problem is they are a bit ugly so I looked into remote mounting which cleans up the look a bit.

The LS9 coils came to mind as they have the right fitment for some holley valve covers with the built in coil stands that look pretty trick.

any thoughts? The stock coils are pretty affordable and I can get them powder coated red which look very cool in comparison to the truck coils. I'm looking into the jolt from each to see which will help light the fire under big cyl pressure.

Also like to hear thoughts on the high tech iridium plugs. I have a nice set of ngks in the latest ride which look good and seem to work well. I haven't gotten the car on the dyno yet but will soon and thinking of doing a "head to head" comparison of the coils to see if they make any difference. Worst of the bunch is the old ls1/ls6 coils They do seem to "still do the job" NA and likely under any sane boost, but perhaps no on the lunatic fringe where I ride.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:44 AM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I was looking to upgrade the ignition and doing a bit of research. Seems the old heat sink round coils off the trucks provide a much better jolt and I had them lying around so I went for it.

they have a different wiring harness but it plugs right in. I'm wondering of the tuning opportunity with these coils to take advantage. Only problem is they are a bit ugly so I looked into remote mounting which cleans up the look a bit.

The LS9 coils came to mind as they have the right fitment for some holley valve covers with the built in coil stands that look pretty trick.

any thoughts? The stock coils are pretty affordable and I can get them powder coated red which look very cool in comparison to the truck coils. I'm looking into the jolt from each to see which will help light the fire under big cyl pressure.

Also like to hear thoughts on the high tech iridium plugs. I have a nice set of ngks in the latest ride which look good and seem to work well. I haven't gotten the car on the dyno yet but will soon and thinking of doing a "head to head" comparison of the coils to see if they make any difference. Worst of the bunch is the old ls1/ls6 coils They do seem to "still do the job" NA and likely under any sane boost, but perhaps no on the lunatic fringe where I ride.
Dont spend crazy money on aftermarket,Stock are fine,ive had the stocks with 16 pounds of boost for years
Old 01-26-2021, 10:02 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

what's your setup? what's your power goal? i feel the term "best" may not be universal on all setups
Old 01-26-2021, 11:32 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

My 99 coil have seen 30boost for years. Know 26
Old 01-27-2021, 04:41 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by helga203
My 99 coil have seen 30boost for years. Know 26
about 1k hp and the stock coils seem to be just fine. I'll be at about 23 psi or so to get there on the following build

4.8 alum block
lsa crank, diamond lsr pistons, molnar rods
6 bolt block upgrade (prototype of the rockin block billet 6 bolt plates)
6 bolt cathedral port heads with high rise sheet metal intake
127 bosch injectors, tuned for e85
ttix twin turbo with upgraded 62/66 turbos

pretty sure even the old ls1 coils will do this fine but researching the specs the modern coils indeed got better and I can snag a set for around 200 which isn't bad
I agree the overpriced 500 + coils are likely a waste of money for anything but the max effort stuff
thanks for the feedback boost a muv

I'll post up pics of the LSA with the holley valve covers and new RX dual valve catch can. looking good!
Old 01-27-2021, 09:40 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

For "smart" coils, the Mercury Marine coils are tops. There are a lot of companies out there counterfeiting them too, so watch out for that. They put out 103milliJoules of energy. After that, you can go to a dumb coil and couple it with a good CDI box. The FuelTech box will put out 750mJ energy with one box and 1500 with a pair of them. I've got some Promod friends that have replaced their magnetos with these setups and done very well.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:23 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

This is how all my coils look. Never had a hiccup. Probably tell now. Just jinx myself.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I've made over 1700whp at 32psi through unlocked th400 on q16, and revving to 7800 with standard oe ls3/a/9 coils. Don't "need" anything more then that for your setup unless you just want to have a hotter spark to say you do.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:16 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JDS99
I've made over 1700whp at 32psi through unlocked th400 on q16, and revving to 7800 with standard oe ls3/a/9 coils. Don't "need" anything more then that for your setup unless you just want to have a hotter spark to say you do.
I'll stick with the stock stuff right now. Looking for bang for the buck, good coil brand, hotter than stock coil, less than 40 per. lots of 8 coil packages around 200 bucks so it's not a big investment.

my stockers look SOO much better painted red with the holley covers, and the rx catch can is hooked up now!!

thanks very much for the real world expertise.

Get notified of new replies

To best ls coils for boost

Quick Reply: best ls coils for boost