C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Short Block or Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 12:05 PM
NJShoreRR
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default New Short Block or Rebuild?

Shortly after boosting my 2001, I blew out the rings.

So, I plan on having the bottom end rebuilt/upgraded. I am going 383 with forged pistons. But before I pull the motor, drop it off and wait 2-3 months for the shop to do the work (they have a backlog); I was curious is anyone could suggest a short block that I can order? I would love to get it back on the road sooner and maybe ordering a new short block is the way to make that happen. Doesnt have to be stroked. I was only going 383 its just a small cost difference during the rebuild.

I appreciate the help/suggestions!
Old 10-07-2020, 12:44 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by NJShoreRR

So, I plan on having the bottom end rebuilt/upgraded. I am going 383 with forged pistons. But before I pull the motor, drop it off and wait 2-3 months for the shop to do the work (they have a backlog); I was curious is anyone could suggest a short block that I can order? I would love to get it back on the road sooner and maybe ordering a new short block is the way to make that happen. Doesnt have to be stroked. I was only going 383 its just a small cost difference during the rebuild.

Texas Speed and Thompson Motorsports are the first two that come to mind when thinking about shelf stock short blocks. I've never dealt with either of them but I know a lot of people have with varying results. I'm not a fan of 4" stroker cranks for a variety of reasons so I'm always going to suggest getting your cubes elsewhere. If you don't mind the added weight you can get larger OEM iron blocks for a decent bit less than an aluminum block.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:51 PM
NJShoreRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
Texas Speed and Thompson Motorsports are the first two that come to mind when thinking about shelf stock short blocks. I've never dealt with either of them but I know a lot of people have with varying results. I'm not a fan of 4" stroker cranks for a variety of reasons so I'm always going to suggest getting your cubes elsewhere. If you don't mind the added weight you can get larger OEM iron blocks for a decent bit less than an aluminum block.

I checked with Thompson, they are 2-3 months out on shipping. I just want my car back
Old 10-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

Call Texas Speed and tell them what your goals are and listen to their suggestions. I bought a 402 short block from them 3 or 4 years ago and love it. Low end, not in boost is a beast with the right cam. My cam is. 630/.649 so not small but good on a larger cubic inch motor.. In boost its a monster.
Chris
Old 10-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I was in the same boat. Went with a iron block and reused the top of my motor (02z). I put the money into the fuel system, crank, rods, pistons, and customs rings...strapped on a ysi and now boom 800rwhp...

Last edited by Water_Walker; 10-07-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:35 PM
Thompson Motorsports
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We show to have a forged piston and rod in stock if it helps. We should be more like 6 weeks at the moment to build your existing block, I realize you want it quickly but please let us know if we can help in any way. Thank you sir!
The following 3 users liked this post by Thompson Motorsports:
ForceFedC5 (10-14-2020), KT35 (10-20-2020), nfantbabyjesus (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 04:51 PM
NJShoreRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Water_Walker
I was in the same boat. Went with a iron block and reused the top of my motor (02z). I put the money into the fuel system, crank, rods, pistons, and customs rings...strapped on a ysi and now boom 800rwhp...
Sent you a messag. Got some questions for you.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:38 AM
nfantbabyjesus
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My engine builder recommended not going a stroker with FI. He went into detail as to why, but it was over my knowledge level so I can't repeat why he suggested otherwise. But in short he said a stroker with FI will have a drastically shorter life span.

I opted to pick up a 6.0 iron block to get a little extra cubes and going a complete forged setup with custom cam. I gave him the details of my car and how I use it and left the rest up to him. All I know so far is it will be a 3.900 crank and a 6.125 rod combination and he's promising that it will be a bad bitch. Ha.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:48 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by nfantbabyjesus
My engine builder recommended not going a stroker with FI. He went into detail as to why, but it was over my knowledge level so I can't repeat why he suggested otherwise. But in short he said a stroker with FI will have a drastically shorter life span.

I opted to pick up a 6.0 iron block to get a little extra cubes and going a complete forged setup with custom cam. I gave him the details of my car and how I use it and left the rest up to him. All I know so far is it will be a 3.900 crank and a 6.125 rod combination and he's promising that it will be a bad bitch. Ha.
So he said not do to a stroker...so you bought another engine and are doing a stroker ? lol

Epic.

What about the likes of ATK or Blueprint, would they have short motors in stock ?
Old 10-09-2020, 04:50 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Although largely stock parts, and maybe CR might be high ? It could be an off the shelf item, and just sell the heads ?

Probably not great value for what they offer, but they might be available fast, and lets face it stock bottom ends have gone very far, especially the later Gen3 or Gen4 stuff.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19370163.html

https://sdparts.com/i-24137408-chevr...te-engine.html

https://sdparts.com/i-24080765-blueprint-engines-bpls3640-364ci-ls-shortblock.html

Or locate a similar used short motor or engine from somewhere ?

Last edited by stevieturbo; 10-09-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:08 AM
NJShoreRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thompson Motorsports
We show to have a forged piston and rod in stock if it helps. We should be more like 6 weeks at the moment to build your existing block, I realize you want it quickly but please let us know if we can help in any way. Thank you sir!
I saw something on your website. Sending you a message.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Thompson Motorsports
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Responded sir, We look forward to speaking with you.

I saw something on your website. Sending you a message.
The following users liked this post:
ForceFedC5 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:40 PM
0JUICED1
Former Vendor

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts

We have a local engine builder we work with. We can set up a build for you however you like.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:02 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

6 weeks is a long time. summit ships parts in 2 days

I have 2 engines ready to go

4.8 iron short block block, 020 over wiseco pistons, gen 4 rods with new sps bolts, stock std crank. $2850 handles 900 hp with solid reliability

5.7 LS6 turbo engine 9.5 wiseco pistons, scat h beam rods, stock 3.622 std crank
ls6 intake with 80 lb injectors (or 127 bosch new), BBk 90 MM tb (no boost issues)
AFR 225 mongoose heads, comp cam roller rockers, comp 5/16 7.4 .080 pushrods, stainless race valves
ls6 batwing with drain backs for turbos just freshened up NO miles

this engine is designed for 1100 hp with the TTIX kit $6500 from intake to pan, ready to drop in

and if you want at the same time

TTIX twin turbo kit. cast turbo manifolds, intercooler, with pumbing, and the hot tip 3" champion down pipes (will sell separate new)
ball bearing 62 turbos, complete c5 exhaust system (borla stinger)

bolt in with the above engine and 1k hp awaits I need $6500, will sell for 12k for turbo system and the engine

This engine makes a dyno proven 800 hp at the tire at only 18 psi boost. much more power with e85
Old 10-20-2020, 10:20 AM
KT35
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm running a stroked 402 on LS2 block with boost. I love it! Low end torque is awesome. Third gear pulls are impressive and scary. Even my tuner who has been doing it for 20 years was impressed.

KT
Old 10-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by KT35
I'm running a stroked 402 on LS2 block with boost. I love it! Low end torque is awesome. Third gear pulls are impressive and scary. Even my tuner who has been doing it for 20 years was impressed.

KT

I'd stick with 3.9 or less stroke and keep the pistons up in the block I know the new stroker pistons work pretty good, but I'd rather go with more progressive torq that builds and rev a bit higher

if you need a lunati 4.0 crank, I need $700 for it new in box. I'm sticking with stock stroke as hooking up 800 ft lbs at 3600 is hard enough already!!

Get notified of new replies

To New Short Block or Rebuild?

Quick Reply: New Short Block or Rebuild?