C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing Belt Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:01 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Throwing Belt Kenne Bell

Just recently got my Kenne Bell build together and now I've already thrown the belt backwards (towards engine) twice, todays throw chewed up the belt. I used a laser alignment tool and everything was in spec and I'm almost positive my bracket is straight because it's the version that comes "pre-spaced."

My theory is I had the belt too small and tight, I have a heavy duty tensioner and it was basically maxed out (read that tight as possible is ideal). I think I also had the bracket idler too close to the supercharger pulley getting too much belt wrap because in only 30 miles of driving the idler had a lot of belt residue on it (picture below).

Really just looking for any advice before I shred another $30 belt. Currently use gatorback might switch to gates.

I moved the idler one to the right (this picture), but before it was a hole to the left.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi
Did I post a pic of the alternate belt route a few months back .

Yeah I would look at the tensioner, can you fit the stock tensioner temporarily just to see if that helps , might be your heavy duty one needs shimming or moving rearward ?

Old 10-26-2015, 10:40 AM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Originally Posted by NITRO UK
Hi
Did I post a pic of the alternate belt route a few months back .

Yeah I would look at the tensioner, can you fit the stock tensioner temporarily just to see if that helps , might be your heavy duty one needs shimming or moving rearward ?

Yes I'm running correct belt routing, II already had removed all the shims in the tensioner which got it aligned correctly. I'll try putting the stock one on to see if it helps.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 PM
Excessive ZO6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a problem throwing belts too. Using the TPE Heavy Duty tensioner and the "TPE" belt routing configuration using only one idler. Make sure that the KenneBell is aligned to the crank pully first then figure out the other pulleys. My blower was actually mis aligned to the motor to start. I also found out that my alternator shaft was bent. So after fixing those issues I installed the ECS roots style tensioner and the issues have been fixed.
Just a few ideas that hopefully will help if you are still having problems.

Originally Posted by wildthingwood1994
Yes I'm running correct belt routing, II already had removed all the shims in the tensioner which got it aligned correctly. I'll try putting the stock one on to see if it helps.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Originally Posted by Excessive ZO6
I had a problem throwing belts too. Using the TPE Heavy Duty tensioner and the "TPE" belt routing configuration using only one idler. Make sure that the KenneBell is aligned to the crank pully first then figure out the other pulleys. My blower was actually mis aligned to the motor to start. I also found out that my alternator shaft was bent. So after fixing those issues I installed the ECS roots style tensioner and the issues have been fixed.
Just a few ideas that hopefully will help if you are still having problems.
Blower was misaligned and bent alternator shaft, how would I know and what would I even do about that? I have a pretty nice heavy duty tensioner that came with the kit, not sure what brand though.

Last edited by wildthingwood1994; 10-26-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:44 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Maybe spin the alternator pulley by hand and see if it has any wobble to it.

Would be better to check that with motor running, at the risk of the new belt though

That makes sense to just worry about blower to crank pulley then try checking the others.

Blower pulley , not sure what you can do if it needed to be slightly rearward , easier to shim forward .

My TVS tossed a belt , the main culprit was the tensioner was to far forward , put the ECS PD tensioner on and it ligned up great . Shined alternator pulley forward , seems ok now.

See where your stock tensioner sits compared to your hd one.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:11 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

The last owner had an 8 rib setup and the tensioner pulley seated much farther back than stock so he had it shimmed out, I had left the shims in. I took them out and it's still not quite as far back as I'd like but I think that was the problem.

Does it make sense that if the tensioner was too far forward the belt would come off the back towards the engine? That's where it would want to go right?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:23 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wildthingwood1994
The last owner had an 8 rib setup and the tensioner pulley seated much farther back than stock so he had it shimmed out, I had left the shims in. I took them out and it's still not quite as far back as I'd like but I think that was the problem.

Does it make sense that if the tensioner was too far forward the belt would come off the back towards the engine? That's where it would want to go right?
Yeah with you on that . I have assumed an 8 rib pulley would have the same offset , like the grooves would be in the same alignment , but just two grooves extra at the front of the pulley compared to a 6 rib .

Maybe give it a go and see if that helps , the way the ECS h/ duty tensioner is designed it would be possible to mod it so you could in effect move the pulley rearward / towards the block , so you could get it to be bang on , $$ I know but would sort the problem with that pulley and alignment .

Get notified of new replies

To Throwing Belt Kenne Bell

Quick Reply: Throwing Belt Kenne Bell