C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system advice with blower

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:23 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In the process of building a supercharger setup where I had a shop custom fabricate an intercooler setup for me with a stock cooling system on the laid back cradle and treadstone front mount. My water and oil temps are much higher than I like so looking for advice on what I should do next. Should I fab up a custom shield on top to force the air into the radiator fins? I still have the lower shroud to force air north but I don't think it does much because I see higher temps driving and temps lower when I come to a stop. Anyone have any experience with the license plate converted grill? Or am I better off just upgrading the radiator? I'd like to leave that as the last resort of I can save some money and get the stock system efficient. I think it's a 180 thermostat in it right now. Im seeing water temps around 230 when I get on it and cruising. I want to stay around 190-210..

Last edited by directnosfogger; 07-03-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:56 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Bigger radiator and an EWP! Maybe even a Stand alone engine oil cooler.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:27 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Bigger radiator and an EWP! Maybe even a Stand alone engine oil cooler.
any recommendations that won't break the bank for water pump and radiator?
Old 07-03-2015, 04:58 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

I really like the Dewitt's cutdown radiator and the mezerie pump. The cool thing about the electric water pumps is that at idle and lower engine speeds they are on full blast so it's flowing like the stock pump would at full engine speed.

The drawback (if you want to call it one) to an EWP is that at higher engine speeds it flows slightly less than a factory pump but you should be able to offset that disadvantage with the larger radiator and not laying the radiator back (in other words have a radiator cradle made or make one yourself). Edelbrock and Evans make mechanical(belt driven) pumps that are supposed to flow higher than stock. Id like to find a way to integrate and electric and mechanical pump to my car to sort of have the best of both worlds.

That's my 2 cents.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Stock water pump works fine for me. But then again it only hits like 110 degrees here in Boise in the summer.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:41 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like the Dewitt's cutdown radiator and the mezerie pump. The cool thing about the electric water pumps is that at idle and lower engine speeds they are on full blast so it's flowing like the stock pump would at full engine speed.

The drawback (if you want to call it one) to an EWP is that at higher engine speeds it flows slightly less than a factory pump but you should be able to offset that disadvantage with the larger radiator and not laying the radiator back (in other words have a radiator cradle made or make one yourself). Edelbrock and Evans make mechanical(belt driven) pumps that are supposed to flow higher than stock. Id like to find a way to integrate and electric and mechanical pump to my car to sort of have the best of both worlds.

That's my 2 cents.

Hope that helps.
What the hell you smoking tonight
Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

You don't have to battle the heat.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

You don't have to battle the heat.
You're car gets hot on jack stands?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:20 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Originally Posted by Milan
Stock water pump works fine for me. But then again it only hits like 110 degrees here in Boise in the summer.
Milan, what's your trick then? Just radiator?
Old 07-03-2015, 11:06 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
You're car gets hot on jack stands?
Touché it has been down a lot. and thought it's been down for multiple things... Overheating wasn't one of them. I know I know... It's tough for those who have a high powered car that drives a half mile or less at a time to understand.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 07-03-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:09 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Op on a serious note, a cover will help. (I didn't even notice you mentioned it was missing until I read again and looked at the pics) You could probably skip the EWP and just do a radiator but a cover will certainly help. In fact it wouldn't surprise me a bit if you just did a cover and it solved your problems.

Maybe you could consider a set of spal fans too. If you are making your own cover you could make a fan shroud for a set of spal's as well.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 07-03-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:14 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
It's 11:00pm in Florida and still 83*, atleast you cool off at night up there.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:56 AM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No perfect answer here bud, the tune and when your fans are set to come on dictates a lot for cooling. I have an A&A kit so I have the shields that come with the kit installed. Disclaimer: I don't have the stock radiator but even so I was still running a bit higher than before after the SC install.
I went ahead and did the front plate filler mod to get more air flow. I cut out the front shield of the kit and made a pass through to the IC. Did some hose work to keep the air flowing straight back to the IC rather than fill the front bumper like a parachute. This added airflow I feel has helped some with temps as well. Also, not sure if you have the stock plastic fog light housings, consider either opening them up or removing for added flow. If you do maybe get the fog light screens to go with it.

Over the last few hot weekends we have had here in LHV, my car has not seen over 200 yet- either in stop and go and definitely not on the hwy. I would try some of that before spending money you may use else where for now and see how that works. In the end, I would suggest when you can afford to do so, upgrading your radiator is always a good idea. The stock unit is at least 15+ years old and likely looking rough and may not be quite up to the task for the added cooling requirements with an SC.

Last edited by ezrider4u2; 07-04-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:47 AM
directnosfogger
Pro

Thanks guys, this puts some ideas into my head. I don't have any fog lights so I'm going to look into what it will require to get the air flowing where it needs to be. The side areas once housed the crappy procharger intercoolers so that's a completely open area right now. I might be able to route some air with that as well.

I am going to take your advice and just replace the radiator. Seems like I would be foolish not to at this point. You're absolutely right that my stock one has seen better days. I saw dewitts makes 2 different styles, shorty and oem with trans cooler and oil cooler. If I stick with the laid back cradle, would it be best to just get the oem size with EOC and TOC? Or is it better to not try and leverage oil and trans fluid through the same rad for water?

Can you guys give me some ideas on how the different companies create the lower shrouds to force air up? I'd like to redo the stock shroud since it doesn't seem to be doing much but scraping the ground.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:57 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

The shorter radiator (cut down version) is for centri cars so the blower air intake clears.

As for the radiator with the EOC and TOC if your car has it like that from the factory I suggest using it. If not you can always get a radiator without the EOC / TOC and do remote mount EOC and TOC but it will cost more.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:54 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

i would leave the stock waterpump and radiator and fans in
build a cover for the top and make sure u have a lower valance to direct air through also ....
also make sure your fans are programmed to come on sooner and a 160 stat

FYI...i just did a kit on a 2004 ...all stock but the supercharger..ecs 1500sl kit
160 stat,i reprogramed the fans and a great tune from my tuner
runs like a champ..pulls hard and runs 180 all day
Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 AM
directnosfogger
Pro

Originally Posted by blown81bu
i would leave the stock waterpump and radiator and fans in
build a cover for the top and make sure u have a lower valance to direct air through also ....
also make sure your fans are programmed to come on sooner and a 160 stat

FYI...i just did a kit on a 2004 ...all stock but the supercharger..ecs 1500sl kit
160 stat,i reprogramed the fans and a great tune from my tuner
runs like a champ..pulls hard and runs 180 all day
that's good news. buddy of mine is getting me some sheet metal since he is in the sheet metal union. lol.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the stock lower valence. maybe I need to have someone weld a metal bracket to the bottom of the intercooler like A&A does.. or figure out something to attach to the cradle. Hopefully the cover helps out and then when I get a new radiator I will really be in good shape.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling system advice with blower

Old 07-05-2015, 10:18 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Since you live in Pa. which only requires rear license plate, I recommend installing a screen in the front plate cover like this

Old 07-05-2015, 12:56 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^ I agree. Screen most certainly helps.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I have a TTiX car which unfortunately brings LOTS of cooling challenges due to the setup.

it has an auto trans with the B&M tranny cooler and fan up front (which I HATE as it's in front of the intercooler), big intercooler, and a big aftermarket rad which makes for a very thick cooling stack.

I went with the dual spal fans in the Dewitts setup, and use a tiger shark front end and haltech stinger hood.

I can now run the AC in 100 degree traffic without going over 225 which is my target high temp.

I don't even have a cooler thermostat as that only decreases the crooze operating temps and my target was 180 at the coolest and 225 as the hotest.

oil temps still get above 210 and max out at 230 (on hard street use) which is just fine.

the c5 is a "bottom breather" and I think the tiger shark front with the chin spoiler does a great job at increasing the air flow during crooze and the dewitts/spal fans (I think they are 2000 or so cfm each) has enough pull to get the air moving through the thick cooling stack at idle.

the haltech hood vents work well too.

Quick Reply: Cooling system advice with blower