C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got Back From a visit to LPE

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 11:01 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just Got Back From a visit to LPE

Very nice operation he's got going down there IN.

DAY 1 - Got down there at about 4:00 pm on day 1 of 2. It was raining going up there but when I got to the shop it was pretty dry. Tim first took me for a tour which was a very interesting experience. Knowing rain was in day 2's forecast also, I asked Tim if I could get a ride in the Magna and TT on day 1, even though it was approachng 5pm. He accomodated me and Graham gave me a ride in both cars. Very rewarding, especially the TT although the I see where the Magna has excellent value to the package also.

Day 2 - Tim answered a whole list of questions I prepared on the eve of day 1. After lunch, I had hoped to gain a anoter ride in both cars to help me make a decision. Tim had no problem offering this to me. Unfortunately, thats when the heavens decided to open up for a brief period. Still, there was time 2 hours later as the test road Graham was driving on dried up very quickly. So at about 2:20. Tim told me to hang tight and Graham would be out in a few mins. But he must have bene ied up 'cause around 2:45, still no graham and I definitely had to leave for my flight.

Its too bad - I really wanted another drive in both cars which would have greatly helped me in making a decision. But I'll have to blame it on the weather. Good thing I requested that ride on Day 1!

Old 08-15-2002, 01:34 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE (MarkFLC5)

MarkFLC5,
I have seen your multiple posts regarding the TT's and the Supercharged cars:yesnod:. So, now that you have visited and gone for rides, what will the decision be?? You have got to be the MOST intent guy i have ever seen on getting one of those packages on your car:D. Just Do It!! :p: Good Luck with whatever your decision will be!!! :cheers: :seeya

Regards
Old 08-15-2002, 03:00 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear your thoughts on the plus/minus of each package, especially what you thought of the Magnacharger. And if the SC was on a Z06 or not. Thanks
Old 08-15-2002, 03:10 PM
ApeelinC5
Racer

Default Re: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE (NJCRUISER)

I too took a tour though LPE. I did have Graham take me for a ride in an 02' ZO6 with the magnacharger. Very smooth, very quick. 11.5@126 on street tires is very respectfull. Unfortunately, I did not get a ride in a TT. Darn!!! I am very much considering the supercharger also. with 460 RWHP and a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty you cannot go wrong. Graham actually said in the 1/4 mile that the supercharger can put the power to the ground better than the TT but I'm sure after that the TT would say bye bye!!! I would take any of LPE's packages if I had more money. :D
Old 08-15-2002, 04:16 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

I would like to hear your thoughts on the plus/minus of each package, especially what you thought of the Magnacharger. And if the SC was on a Z06 or not. Thanks
Sure.

The first car was the Magna Roots Type. Very quiet, only a slight whine when going WOT. Boost is pretty much instant - and I mean that with no exageration. Gives 100 more hp to the rear

Second Car was a stage I TT. Boost is not as immediate as the Magna which surprised me a bit. TT Boost kicks in at about 2600-2800 RPM but when it kicks boy do you feel that tq! The magna doesn't touch it.

I also asked Graham (The Tuner who demoed the cars and who use to be with Lotus/GM before John hired him) 2 questions that I feel he answered very honestly:

QUESTION 1: The Magna vs the TT in the 1/4
ANSWER: The Magna might meet the TT at or just before the finish because the boost kicks in a tad bit earlier and you may have to feather the TT off the line. But a good driver in the TT would nip it.

QUESTION 2: If 2 drivers, one driving the magna and the other the TT, were crusing at 50 and when the cars reached pt A, thats where the race would begin, and at this point A both drivers downshift into 3rd and went WOT, how close would the finish be?

ANSWER: "It wouldn't be close at all."

Old 08-15-2002, 04:21 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Default Re: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE (ApeelinC5)

I am very much considering the supercharger also. with 460 RWHP and a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty you cannot go wrong. Graham actually said in the 1/4 mile that the supercharger can put the power to the ground better than the TT but I'm sure after that the TT would say bye bye!!! I would take any of LPE's packages if I had more money. :D
Yes, he told me the same - that the Magna would meet the TT at the 1/4. But he didn't tell me 465 at the wheels. He told me the magna adds a solid 100 to the wheels which woud make it about what, 410? 420 max perhaps?
Old 08-15-2002, 04:24 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

That twin turbo has to be quite a rush. For the price difference though, I wonder how much extra you'd have to put in the superchaged Vette to get it to perform at the level of the TT? Tough call and best of luck with your decision! :cheers:
Old 08-15-2002, 04:45 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Default Re: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE (QuickSilver97)

That twin turbo has to be quite a rush. For the price difference though, I wonder how much extra you'd have to put in the superchaged Vette to get it to perform at the level of the TT? Tough call and best of luck with your decision! :cheers:
Don't forget about the extra 100 hp that's avail by adjusting the actuator. Of course you'd have to beef up the bottom but it is there if you want it.

Old 08-15-2002, 05:05 PM
don527
Drifting

460rwhp would be taken from the point of installing it on an '02 Z06.

Don
Yes, he told me the same - that the Magna would meet the TT at the 1/4. But he didn't tell me 465 at the wheels. He told me the magna adds a solid 100 to the wheels which woud make it about what, 410? 420 max perhaps?
Old 08-15-2002, 06:18 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Default Re: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE (don527)

Mark, thanks for the reply, I was considering the ATI's SC, but who needs the problems, I'm not saying that ATI is bad, but there certainly seem to be a lot of folks here that are always working to fix something on those units. And I'm not the wrench some of you are. I've got a Z06 anyhow, and I dont need more that 450rwhp anyway, plus I like the looks. I trust the LPE name. But when all arguments are said and done, there is that 3yr/36,000 mi. warranty which no one can touch for -What is it? $200.00
Old 08-15-2002, 06:26 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Whew , almost forgot to say that the TT is indeed awesome as well, but outta my price range, besides , I like to do a track event here and there, and although SC's arent great for that, a TT is worse I believe, as far as the way that the turbo can kick in in a corner.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:55 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Mark, thanks for the reply, I was considering the ATI's SC, but who needs the problems, I'm not saying that ATI is bad, but there certainly seem to be a lot of folks here that are always working to fix something on those units. And I'm not the wrench some of you are. I've got a Z06 anyhow, and I dont need more that 450rwhp anyway, plus I like the looks. I trust the LPE name. But when all arguments are said and done, there is that 3yr/36,000 mi. warranty which no one can touch for -What is it? $200.00
Well, I really don't understand the $200 deal. It really doesn't sound LPE RElated. He's probably collecting the $$$ for Magnuson or its one those mail in things but no matter what, its a no-brainer. I don't even know why they mention it.

The Magna is a pretty good value although you'll get your LS1 Forum guys who say that we are crazy for paying these $$$ for these kits. The need for a new hood, well, obviously magnacharger is not an exclusive kit for the C5 (lol). But the price does include the hood and as you say, you don't want problems or at least want to minimize them. LPE is the way to go.
But you'll find people on this forum who know a lot more about John and his staff than I do. For me, it was nice to go up there to check out his ops and meet him.

Old 08-15-2002, 07:41 PM
Sinco
Racer

Way to go glad to see you got up there. Mark let us know what you decide. You'll be getting alot more hp if you go with the TT. Since yours is not a ZO6 you said you'll get 410 to 420rwhp, is that with headers? The TT is complete and you will have 550 crank hp if you assume 15% loss for drivetrain you should be close to 470 rwhp. I think this is a better deal for you. If you had the zo6 the magncharger might be better.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:02 AM
SlowC5
Burning Brakes

Mark,

Repeat after me... TT, TT, TT. :D

SlowC5
Old 08-16-2002, 12:52 PM
ModifiedC5
Burning Brakes

I too have been giving the Mag SC a lot of thought. Who at LPE would you folks recommend I ask for to talk to about the package for my car, pricing, arranging a tour, etc?
Are they open to using other aftermarket intakes like the Halltech TRIC or do we have to buy their intake? To me, it's not necessarily a matter of the cost of the new intake, I'm just partial to the intake setup I have now.
Anyone have any insight to this?
Old 08-16-2002, 01:04 PM
SlowC5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE (ModifiedC5)

I too have been giving the Mag SC a lot of thought. Who at LPE would you folks recommend I ask for to talk to about the package for my car, pricing, arranging a tour, etc?
Are they open to using other aftermarket intakes like the Halltech TRIC or do we have to buy their intake? To me, it's not necessarily a matter of the cost of the new intake, I'm just partial to the intake setup I have now.
Anyone have any insight to this?
Call Tim@LPE (260)724-2552.

I believe they can work with you on the intake.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:57 PM
ApeelinC5
Racer

Default Re: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE (SlowC5)

Sorry!, yes 460 RWHP is on a ZO6 and 410-420RWHP on an LS1. As for the 550 TT, I have seen 500-510 RWHP on a ZO6 and and 470-480 RWHP on an LS1. Thats just what I have seen. But the prices are what separates these packages. $8,399 for the supercharger and what $19,000 for the TT. It's only money........ :D

Yes, they can use most intakes except John said some let too much hot air in off the radiator. Thats why they use the donaldson. I personally hope the Vararam will work but they have not had a car with that setup yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Got Back From a visit to LPE

Old 08-16-2002, 02:44 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Default Re: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE (LT1pwrd'94)

MarkFLC5,
I have seen your multiple posts regarding the TT's and the Supercharged cars:yesnod:. So, now that you have visited and gone for rides, what will the decision be?? You have got to be the MOST intent guy i have ever seen on getting one of those packages on your car:D. Just Do It!! :p:
I'm wondering why you have a problem with my multiple posts or my assiduousness towards investing $22,000 in a mod for a C5? I find this rather strange for someone who not only does not have a C5, but does not even have a corvette - atleast its not in your sig, anyway. Don't you belong on another Forum somewhere?

Anyone else? How about you don527? You seem to have a desire for waging wars by using the old "Let-Me-Insert-a-link-to-show-him-up method"?

Perhaps one of you two (well, maybe not you LT1pwrd'94 because you can't even seem to afford a vette), or any other owners who may have expressed similar sentiments towards my diligence, would be willing to grant me, as a token of your philanthropic goodwill and persistance in me having such a package, the $22,000 that I need for this package? Any takers??? It would be greatly appreciated and would also be tax deductible?. But more importantly, you would then be able to have the "bonified legitimate" right to open your mouths about my TT posts without me replying in such a manner.

Hey guys, in case you haven't realized, this forum is suppose to be about people helping instead of criticising, insulting and making childish comments - much like the comments made towards NewVetteLover who I'm sure can say more about the LPE TT than the people who were making the childish comments towards him.

But if certain owners have nothing better to do than insult others or to try and show others up on the CF, then I can do that too. And from now on, expect it if you have something stupid, insulting or childish to say about my posts. Constructive criticism I welcome with open arms - but insidious remarks I will no longer tolerate. :mad :mad :mad
Old 08-16-2002, 03:21 PM
don527
Drifting

<edited in the name of peace>

[Modified by don527, 8:49 PM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 03:32 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a great tour...You can't go wrong whatever blower you use, the extra power is there..I went with the ATI, and did have some initial problems, which are now sorted out.. I didn't want to be altering the hood..
The most awesome setup would be a H/C change, pistons then a 10 lb pulley, Which, i may go with next year... :cheers:

Quick Reply: Just Got Back From a visit to LPE