C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:23 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission help

I figured I would get a better response from you guys than the other subforums. I started pulling the transmission from my pile today (not my first rodeo with a Vette) and I've hit a snag. For the life of me I can not get the torque tube out. I've quadtriple checked all the little ****, pried until I damn near cracked the bell housing and can not get it loose of the clutch. It feels like the the slave cylinder is stuck on the pressure plate. Any of you gents ever ran into this issue?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jmuck
I figured I would get a better response from you guys than the other subforums. I started pulling the transmission from my pile today (not my first rodeo with a Vette) and I've hit a snag. For the life of me I can not get the torque tube out. I've quadtriple checked all the little ****, pried until I damn near cracked the bell housing and can not get it loose of the clutch. It feels like the the slave cylinder is stuck on the pressure plate. Any of you gents ever ran into this issue?
I've incurred this with twin and triple disc clutches where the plates get in a bind. The trick has been to keep the line tied to the slave and push the clutch pedal in.
In one instance, I've had to drop the headers, remove the inspection cover and loosen all of the pressure plate bolts.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:41 PM
BoostSlam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm absolutely sure you've checked but make sure you didn't miss one of the top bolts.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:15 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Dont forget the wire harness also running down the torque tube under the 4 binder tabs too.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. I tried everything too. I finally got some long bolts, washers and 3 nuts then used this to separate it by just turning the nut. I believe mine ended up being jammed by the pilot bearing since it was toast.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:10 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission help

Quick Reply: Transmission help