C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make a mistake on my new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake on my new engine?

I have a forged 383 ls6 stroker build with 9.5 /1 is this too low of compression for a base a&a without turning up boost? Anyone running this set up? car has 342 rear and a4, cam 230/236 .61 lift 116 lsa, long tube headers, ported ls6 heads stock ls6 intake and tb. I know I can always throw more money at it later with fuel systems pully etc .but was looking to upgrade tranny first. I mean,it will be substantially quicker than my stock ls1 with same kit and no headers won't it? Please make me feel better while I'm waiting for it to get done! Thanks for any input .

Adam
Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
I have a forged 383 ls6 stroker build with 9.5 /1 is this too low of compression for a base a&a without turning up boost? Anyone running this set up? car has 342 rear and a4, cam 230/236 .61 lift 116 lsa, long tube headers, ported ls6 heads stock ls6 intake and tb. I know I can always throw more money at it later with fuel systems pully etc .but was looking to upgrade tranny first. I mean,it will be substantially quicker than my stock ls1 with same kit and no headers won't it? Please make me feel better while I'm waiting for it to get done! Thanks for any input .

Adam
Car will do good Adam with a good tuner. I still would ger a Kenne Bell BOP on the car now.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:08 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Might be a sluggish a bit on the bottom but far from a mistake. Sounds like a good cam too.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:12 AM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Adam
Don't worry the car will feel more than fine! All this talk about being sluggish is nuts...I'm at 8.8:1 and I was told my car would be sluggish off boost....trust me it's not!!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My iron block is at like 9:1 compression with a stage 3 blower cam. I took the turbo off a couple months ago and have been driving it around N/A. Car will still get up just fine without boost
Old 10-24-2014, 02:20 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c5mtl
Don't worry the car will feel more than fine! All this talk about being sluggish is nuts...I'm at 8.8:1 and I was told my car would be sluggish off boost....trust me it's not!!
M6-A4. Take a blower car from 9.5 to 10.5 with an M6 and you will notice the difference on the street at low RPM's. I've had both. So to me, it feels sluggish since I've had both. You're right, the A4 might be different.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert miller
Car will do good Adam with a good tuner. I still would ger a Kenne Bell BOP on the car now.
Thanks car already has BOP it came with sc kit.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 10-24-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Might be a sluggish a bit on the bottom but far from a mistake. Sounds like a good cam too.
Do you think it will feel sluggish compared to stock ls1, no headers, with same sc kit as it was before new motor down low? Or just compared to same set up with higher compression?
Old 10-25-2014, 03:55 AM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

M6-A4. Take a blower car from 9.5 to 10.5 with an M6 and you will notice the difference on the street at low RPM's. I've had both. So to me, it feels sluggish since I've had both. You're right, the A4 might be different.
I think the big difference is when the car is auto it's not like you have control of the rpm band like a manual....with an auto as soon as you hit the throttle and it drops a gear things happen fast...boost kicks in fast. I guess in a manual you can keep it in high gear and still get on the throttle without the revs shooting up like a auto....I guess that's where you would feel the sluggishness
Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

I think the big difference is when the car is auto it's not like you have control of the rpm band like a manual....with an auto as soon as you hit the throttle and it drops a gear things happen fast...boost kicks in fast. I guess in a manual you can keep it in high gear and still get on the throttle without the revs shooting up like a auto....I guess that's where you would feel the sluggishness
That is a good explanation of it, now I think I understand where those comments are coming from, thanks for putting me at ease.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

So here's the question: Why would you have a forged engine built and then run low boost? Why not just stick with a stock motor and low boost?
Also, slow and sluggish are personal opinion to some extent. There are plenty of members that think their stock vettes are fast (z or not) and then you have those that have crazy builds but always want more...because a 9 second trip down the quarter mile is an eternity.
If it feels sluggish just crank up the boost until it doesn't!!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by reactor2
So here's the question: Why would you have a forged engine built and then run low boost? Why not just stick with a stock motor and low boost?
Also, slow and sluggish are personal opinion to some extent. There are plenty of members that think their stock vettes are fast (z or not) and then you have those that have crazy builds but always want more...because a 9 second trip down the quarter mile is an eternity.
If it feels sluggish just crank up the boost until it doesn't!!
Stock motor was toast see original post. So I needed a motor anyway, 9.5 to 1 was what was recommended to me by my mechanics tuner, a well respected guy here!, I know I can "turn up the boost" but I don't have unlimited money and I will need a transmission sooner than later. A built forged long block was not much more $ than non forged with someone else building motor! I was kinda just killing time trying to figure out how car will feel compared to how it was with stock ls1 and sc. Thanks for your input though. I'm sure a fuel system, trans brace, meth, wheels, tires maybe a roll bar, more boost and the list goes on... Are all in the cars future, unless I fall into a bunch of money, then I will sell whatever I have and order c7 z06 convertable and just drive it!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:39 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Since we are talking about fantasy money... If you fall into a pile of money wait 2-3 years for the mid engine zr1. In my opinion a mid engine 'vette will make all other 'vettes obsolete garbage.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:41 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Stock motor was toast see original post. So I needed a motor anyway, 9.5 to 1 was what was recommended to me by my mechanics tuner, a well respected guy here!, I know I can "turn up the boost" but I don't have unlimited money and I will need a transmission sooner than later. A built forged long block was not much more $ than non forged with someone else building motor! I was kinda just killing time trying to figure out how car will feel compared to how it was with stock ls1 and sc. Thanks for your input though. I'm sure a fuel system, trans brace, meth, wheels, tires maybe a roll bar, more boost and the list goes on... Are all in the cars future, unless I fall into a bunch of money, then I will sell whatever I have and order c7 z06 convertable and just drive it!
"Just drive it". That's what I planned when I bought my 'vette.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by reactor2
Since we are talking about fantasy money... If you fall into a pile of money wait 2-3 years for the mid engine zr1. In my opinion a mid engine 'vette will make all other 'vettes obsolete garbage.
I like verts, nothin like a winter drive in Florida in a fast convertable!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

I like verts, nothin like a winter drive in Florida in a fast convertable!
Well maybe a world class super fast pure sports car would be ok too.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Exactly !!

All this sluggish talk is just ********.

9.5 is a perfectly usable and safe CR

Get notified of new replies

To Did I make a mistake on my new engine?

Old 10-26-2014, 03:47 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

True, Stevie. If you like to have a nice hit back in the seat, without going in to a lot of boost and spraying meth, any setup is fine. A higher compression motor that makes more power lower in the rpm range is more fun for a 6 speed car.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:07 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

True, Stevie. If you like to have a nice hit back in the seat, without going in to a lot of boost and spraying meth, any setup is fine. A higher compression motor that makes more power lower in the rpm range is more fun for a 6 speed car.
Mine is 6 speed, always has been, always will be.

I'm 9.0:1 and you could never say it's a slug or there are issues off boost.

Even more so when you have a blower there.

Any difference in power/torque with 10.5 vs 9.5 would be very small indeed
Old 10-26-2014, 08:30 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

So what you are sayin is:
You like the low rpm "HIT" that a PD blower
provides
Its more fun for a 6 spd car
Sorry OP, just havin a little fun.

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake on my new engine?