C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

pricing a super duper modified c5z.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:21 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Default pricing a super duper modified c5z.

So I ha e spent way to much on this car and it crosses my mind now and then that I should sell it. If I do or not idk yet. But how do you price a car like mine? Daily drivable, custom turbo, built motor, built tr6060 swapped built c6z diff. Wide fenders welds 18s and 15s. Pretty much a street 1000whp six speed.

What's a fair price for something like that?

Last edited by DANZGLASS; 09-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Don't do it, enjoy it. Take price of Z if it was stock, BB value, then add about 50% for mods to start.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

I will enjoy it for a while. But I don't think I wanna keep at it much more this built motor round 2 has got me sick of the builds and the large bills. This year alone was easy 30k +.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Frankly speaking.. You'll be doing good to get what a nice, low mileage stock one would bring.. $25k at best..

Market is terrible for modded cars like ours.. I have about $80k+ in mine now.... I've been offered $30k.

Best bet is to put it back to stock, then sell all the hi-perf parts.. If I ever decide to throw in the towel, mine will go back to stock and sell it for $20k... Then sell off all the good parts..

Pennies on the dollar is the return on these game.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

Yea I mean as is it be tuff to build my car for less then idk 60-70k . to take 30 would be a joke.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:11 AM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Can't look at what we do as an investment...It's a hobby.

Like you, I'm so deep in mine it will always be in my garage, but I love to tinker on it. Sure when stuff breaks the costs suck...But I've made peace with that.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 PM
zone-7
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DANZGLASS
So I ha e spent way to much on this car and it croses my mind now and then that I should sell it. If I do or not idk yet. But how do you price a car like mine? Daily drivable, custom turbo, built motor, built tr6060 swapped built c6z diff. Wide fenders welds 18s and 15s. Pretty much a street 1000whp six speed.

What's a fair price for something like that?
1. Have the vehicle appraised by an outfit that specializes in show & collector car value assessment.

2. Have the vehicle insured by an insurance company that has expertise in specialty vehicles with an "agreed upon" value based on your appraised value. (to protect your investment)

The valuation of your vehicle, when it comes time to sell is backed up by your appraisal documentation (which is further backed up by your insurer's "agreed upon" insurance valuation)

Your Vette is not a typical Vette. It is a specialty vehicle (IMHO)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:55 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

I have stuff done that most don't do when it come to the high powered cars. In the drive train and wheels/ spindles. But yea its never been an investment. At 40k I'd get maybe half my moola back lol. I think its the feeling we get when something breaks and we shell out the *** to fix it. When its been down for months on end again. Not enjoying driving it mid summer two years in a row due to failed parts that should not have failed. Once I drive it I'm sure I'll loose the feeling to sell.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:40 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Yeah you're stuck with it bro...as we all are..

I just did a very loose tally on mine with EVERYTHING I have spent in 3 yrs including the $25k I paid for it initially........$90k...

2 motors, 3 trannies, 4 diffs, 2 sets of wheels.. Plus the mega dollar blower/fuel systems etc etc.. It's shocking when you had it up wondering the FK you got there..

I could be a nice ZR1 right now with change to spare..

I've also come to terms with the fact I'm stuck in this C5 forever....soooo.... I'll continue to dump more money in it to keep me interested..

I did the same thing on a turbo hayabusa I built back in 04... Then rebuilt it again in 09 with a completely different setup.. Got $40k+ in that thing and its worth maybe $10k.. Even parting it out I couldn't get half my money back... So it's still in the garage, sitting on the battery tender ready to go..

The only car I have ever built, dumped a bunch of money in and NOT regret it and NOT want to eventually sell is my 71' BBC Vette....it is and always will be my favorite toy..
Old 08-24-2014, 04:07 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

I guess so. We shall see.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

I was offered 35k last week and turned it down.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:37 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

I got offered 40k from some. Crazy Russian dude like 8 months ago when I had the stock Tanny in it still.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:38 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DANZGLASS
I got offered 40k from some. Crazy Russian dude like 8 months ago when I had the stock Tanny in it still.
Side not he said cash and was pretty sure he was a drug dealer. So I said no. Lol
Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 AM
narfdanarf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is sometimes why I regret the build of my car, when it was just cam only it was cheap, reliable, somewhat fun and I could have sold it for what I had into it....now it's like the complete opposite and it doesn't even run yet.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

I believe this is discussion is where the term "pay to play" comes from.

If you want out of your modified car you're probably taking a loss. I say probably because I've heard of people winning the lottery before, like stumbling across a crazy Russian with cash.

BTW your car is great, and I absolutely loved reading your build thread.

Last edited by etekberg; 08-25-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

It's not a whole lot different than buying a new car.

Look at this way, you could have bought a new ZR1 for $130k and be selling it now for $65k
Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

At this point you almost gotta keep it man. Seriously you have an awesome one of a kind car and your threads keep the C5 FI forum interesting. It will be tough to get more than 30 or so for a C5 that is over 10 years old no matter what amount of money you have in it. IMO get the kinks worked out and just drive and keep it. Forged 5.3 with your drivetrain and supporting mods should last a long time around 900 or so rwhp and be able to bust up 95% of anything you run into on the streets (Hopefully you don't live by many UGR cars etc lol)

Get notified of new replies

To pricing a super duper modified c5z.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 AM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

this is my 5th car I have modded to hell and have learned to buy parts used and do the work myself. 100k build is rediculous,lol
part it out man and sell it stock
Old 08-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

My opinion,..which is usually a love hate thing here...with all due respect....a custom turbo kit vehicle...typically would have more dollar value then a bolt on blower "kit"... you'd think anyways. I know blower kits cost money but, a custom turbo kit in general is hard to put a dollar figure on...fab time+ materials. One off this, one off that. I realized a LONG time ago at 16 that modifying cars that I owned...and making money on them...just wasn't how it worked. This is a passion and testosterone thing. We all love the speed, and we all deep down wanna be the fastest. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I think when it comes to selling it, it would be all about what it was worth to the person buying it. If it's worth it in value to them, to have a car perform THAT well,...for THAT much money,...you're right,...you couldn't produce it yourself without doing the work yourself...(which the tools cost money..so...that's a factor) or having a friend/family donate the work/labor/material.

All in all, everyone is right, these things typically don't sell for tons of money. Why? Well,..people MOD there car.....usually using credit cards....then go into debt....then....they sell the car for a crack head price...and ruin it for everyone else. Selling my car...it would have to be to the "right buyer" or I would just put it to back to stock...and sell everything else.... which also, is easier said, then done.

Use as much cash to buy parts as possible is what I do...so I don't have to have a monthly reminder of why I am pissed off at my car. Big power isn't for everyone....and it's very expensive.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

No credit card bills from the car luckily. But yea I get everything you guys are saying. Chances are I won't sell it. Since I'm basically done. Its ready to take 900-1000whp all day at this point.

Last edited by DANZGLASS; 08-25-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: pricing a super duper modified c5z.