C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I get jacked on my Motive gear installation kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get jacked on my Motive gear installation kit?

I just got my Motive Gear installation kit and I'm not quite sure if everything that's supposed to be there is.

From Summit I ordered R10RVLMKT which is their master kit. What I received in the box were the bearings and two shims one of which was loose and not in a bag like the other.

Shouldn't there be more to this kit? Gaskets, seals, crush sleeve etc.? Or am I wrong and I need to source these elsewhere?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be a smart ***, but it says right on their order page what's included and what's not.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-r10rvlmkt

UPC:698231562598
Ring Gear Bolts:10
Pinion Spline Count:30
Ring Gear Rotation:Standard
Cover Gasket Included:Yes
Pinion Shims Included:No
Carrier Shims Included:Yes
Crush Sleeve Included:Yes
Pinion Seal Included:No
Pinion Nut Included:No
Ring Gear Bolts Included:No
Head Bearing Included:Yes
Tail Bearing Included:Yes
Carrier Bearings Included:Yes
Axle Seals Included:No
Axle Bearings Included:No
Old 08-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

Oh I know, I had already looked at that. I was just hoping to hear from someone that's used this kit before. Some of the other sites I've checked with a parts list just like this show it coming with the ring gear bolts etc., where Summit's doesn't. So I didn't want to use their list as gospel, if you know what I mean?

If you look up Motive Gears bearing kit on Summit's site it doesn't even give you a parts list to compare it to.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

None of the motive installation kits for the C5/C6 descriptions are correct. What you'll find (like what's on Summit's site) is just a generic list of what's typically in there.

All it's going to have in the master kit is 4 bearings (carrier and pinion support - Timken since you bought that option), Needle bearing, side axle seals, and o-rings.

Our diffs don't use crush sleeves, or gaskets...

Carrier shims and pinion shims are only available through GM. They run $5-$10 a piece depending on where you get them from. This is why a lot of people don't build their own diffs. If you are patient enough to order 1 shim at a time or something I suppose it's not too bad, but otherwise you end up having to invest a lot of money just to have shims on hand. Not to mention without proper tools, it's just shooting in the dark for first setup. Also, pinion nut torque spec is 370lb-ft. Hell, you won't even be able to get the pinion nut off without the specialty tool.

Once you have everything, these diffs aren't that bad. But, it requires an investment.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

Thanks for all of the info JDS99. From what you said should come with the kit, I'm definitely missing some parts.

As forbuilding the differential, I'm not doing it myself. I'm taking it to a guy that builds differentials and he requested that I purchase an installation kit.

Are there any parts other than what's supposed to be in the kit that I need to pick up from the dealership? Would it be wise to pick up a couple of pinion shims as a precaution?

Thanks again, Jim

Originally Posted by JDS99
None of the motive installation kits for the C5/C6 descriptions are correct. What you'll find (like what's on Summit's site) is just a generic list of what's typically in there.

All it's going to have in the master kit is 4 bearings (carrier and pinion support - Timken since you bought that option), Needle bearing, side axle seals, and o-rings.

Our diffs don't use crush sleeves, or gaskets...

Carrier shims and pinion shims are only available through GM. They run $5-$10 a piece depending on where you get them from. This is why a lot of people don't build their own diffs. If you are patient enough to order 1 shim at a time or something I suppose it's not too bad, but otherwise you end up having to invest a lot of money just to have shims on hand. Not to mention without proper tools, it's just shooting in the dark for first setup. Also, pinion nut torque spec is 370lb-ft. Hell, you won't even be able to get the pinion nut off without the specialty tool.

Once you have everything, these diffs aren't that bad. But, it requires an investment.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted355
Thanks for all of the info JDS99. From what you said should come with the kit, I'm definitely missing some parts.

As forbuilding the differential, I'm not doing it myself. I'm taking it to a guy that builds differentials and he requested that I purchase an installation kit.

Are there any parts other than what's supposed to be in the kit that I need to pick up from the dealership? Would it be wise to pick up a couple of pinion shims as a precaution?

Thanks again, Jim
No problem.

No need to buy shims, if he doesn't have any on hand already then i'm about 99% confident he hasn't ever built one of these diffs before and would strongly advise going elsewhere for the work. You have no idea what size shim(s) will be needed until getting in there, making initial setup, checking pattern, etc.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Boosted355
Instructor

Very cool, thanks again man. Trying to find these parts this past week or so has been very stressful. I know he's done them before, so he was probably just needing me to get the bearings.

I know I said it before, but I'm going to say it again, THANK YOU!
Originally Posted by JDS99
No problem.

No need to buy shims, if he doesn't have any on hand already then i'm about 99% confident he hasn't ever built one of these diffs before and would strongly advise going elsewhere for the work. You have no idea what size shim(s) will be needed until getting in there, making initial setup, checking pattern, etc.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

I figured I'd post a follow up to how things went down. I called Motive Gear this morning to find out what all is supposed to come in the kit. Besides the bearings and shims, I was also supposed to receive the pinion shims, o-rings and inner axle seals.

After calling Summit and discussing it with them and then them calling Motive, Summit is sending a replacement and sending out a call tag for the incomplete set.

Get notified of new replies

To Did I get jacked on my Motive gear installation kit?

Quick Reply: Did I get jacked on my Motive gear installation kit?