C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauging Interest TTIX Billet 6265 With 3" Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

It seems like I remember you removed the wastegates completely before doing this mod and still made around 12 psi. Is this correct? Did you ever pipe the WG back into the exhaust or is it still open to the atmosphere?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
It seems like I remember you removed the wastegates completely before doing this mod and still made around 12 psi. Is this correct?
That's correct. Once you really dig into the kit and understand how it works it becomes pretty obvious where the problem lies. In retrospect it's simple anyway.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Hey Joe my car is down with a bad lifter as well with collateral damage to cam. Hardly drive the car so going down a different path and converting to NA for HPDE and selling my blower kit. Almost complete and ready to get back on the road courses again.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about this kit and miss out on a great buy. There are always trade-offs when you design a kit. The base turbos were a Turbonetics T04B H-3. This is a T3/T4 hybrid turbo that uses a housing originally meant to be internally gated. The base turbos are great for someone looking for 500 to 900 rwhp. Their theoretical max flow is around 55 Lbs/Min. They fall very nicely on the efficiency island when used with a stock LS engine.

Now consider the PTE Billet 62/65s. They are more at home in the 800 to 1200rwhp range and capable of a theoretical max flow of around 70 to 73 Lbs/Min. Some people have pushed them even further. So you have a turbo that starts peak efficiency around 800 rwhp. 650 rwhp is on the map, but on the lower right portion. Couple that with a turbine housing that wasn't designed to divert an extra 100hp worth of exhaust over the ~200hp that it is capable of diverting given the housing design. There isn't room to open up the WG port any larger in it's original configuration and have everything fit on a C5.

Now look at Joe's pictures above. He and Forced Fed Fabrications came up with a way to divert additional exhaust gas away from the turbine wheel to reduce the drive pressure on this turbo. They provided a larger wastegate path on a different part of the turbine housing volute. It is similar to the way that some of the Buick GNX housings are designed.

Here is a graphical representation based on a 416 ci LS engine with this kit. Assumptions are that it makes 450 rwhp on a conservative tune and you gain 30hp per psi. Since Precision doesn't offer a compressor map, I used the GTX3582R which seems to be similar. The 650 rwhp line is at 6.5 psi. The 800 rwhp line is at 12 psi. This is about what most people make on wastegate spring pressure with a TTiX kit and the 6265 turbos. 1000 rwhp is at ~ 18 psi and 1200 rwhp is at ~ 25psi. You can see where each setting falls on the compressor map and the intended usage range for these turbos. Note: This is only theoretical and not meant to give exact calculations.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:29 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

That compressor map looks like a good representation of why smaller motors can often make more power with the same compressor.

As for the OP, he's good people. I would let him date my sister, so you can rest easy when it comes to buying from him.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Thanks for he words guys. Just going a different direction. Most people would sell the car at this point but I don't see any reason to.

That price is obo. Most of the kit is off the car. I need to finish that and get some current pics. Any issues I find will be fixed. Only thing so far is a silicone coupler. No shaft play in the turbos.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Hi-res pics added to the first post. This is everything except the other air tube pipe and filter, AC hose with fire sleeve, and the intercooler with tial 50mm BOV, which is huge. I don't think you could fit anything larger.

Most scratches are minor. None of them are scene once installed with hood open. You could re-coat, but you'd realize it was a waste once you get halfway into the install.

I can get vids to show the lack of shaft play, etc with request.

It doesn't come with the lokar and fire sleeve from TTI. It should though IMO, and that is included.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

A trade deal has been made with a member so this is off the market.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^ Glad to hear it's going to a good home...one of which we will all benefit from the racing videos he'll likely post.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest TTIX Billet 6265 With 3" Downpipes