C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ditching the A&A? ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM
FRiCK916
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ditching the A&A A2A??

Considering dumping the A&A intercooler and going to a dual nozzle 50/50 setup. Just really tired of how hot the car runs during normal driving, and let's not talk about using the AC... even while on the freeway. Brand new OEM radiator, 160Tstat, condenser has been cleaned and running water wetter with distilled water. Is this a bad option? I see plenty of other cars running this way, don't see why I or we can't??

Hit me with it...

Last edited by FRiCK916; 08-14-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:37 PM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

It can be done if switching to e85 fuel
If I had stations local to me that's what I would be doing
Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

This is what I recommend to get the temps down low with a stock radiator!

1.160 thermostat

2.Have the fans come on early / HP tuners- make sure both fans actually work

3.Install oil cooler and trans cooler for autos, don’t run hot oil threw the radiator!

4.Use Royal Purple 01600 Purple Ice Super-Coolant Radiator Additive - 12 oz.

5.Make sure your radiator is clean and not full of grass and dirt and the a/c condenser

6.Last step- optional but works too! Remove license plate cover and cut hole in bumper to allow free air to hit the radiator directly

When done properlty I dropped a c5 temps form 228 to 185
Old 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you thought about getting a bigger radiator?

I have a DeWitts radiator 160-tstat and stock fans, and in stop and go traffic I never get over 205* in the summer months (85-100* weather), and when the car is moving, the water temps are in the mid 180's. During the cooler months the water temps are in the low 170's.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM
FRiCK916
Pro

Originally Posted by regorih

1.160 thermostat

3.Install oil cooler and trans cooler for autos, don’t run hot oil threw the radiator!

5.Make sure your radiator is clean and not full of grass and dirt and the a/c condenser

6.Last step- optional but works too! Remove license plate cover and cut hole in bumper to allow free air to hit the radiator directly

Thanks for the suggestions, but if you look in my post I've done all of this... and I forgot to mention I have the screen upfront as well.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Hmm I'm surpised you are running this warm. I have a stock radiator in my 01Z with the Procharger Twin intercooler set up ( Maybe provides more air to radiator cooling it down?) with a 160 T stat and run in the 180's water temps. Oil never really gets over 205 either....these are summer temps. E85 will cool things down nicely but you likely will need to upgrade your fuel system. Make sure your fans come on extra early with the 160 T stat.....I'll let others jump in further from here.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:13 PM
FRiCK916
Pro

Originally Posted by PEETYZ
Hmm I'm surpised you are running this warm. I have a stock radiator in my 01Z with the Procharger Twin intercooler set up ( Maybe provides more air to radiator cooling it down?) with a 160 T stat and run in the 180's water temps. Oil never really gets over 205 either....these are summer temps. E85 will cool things down nicely but you likely will need to upgrade your fuel system. Make sure your fans come on extra early with the 160 T stat.....I'll let others jump in further from here.
Your twins are off to the side, not blocking the radiator. I want to go E85 but I drive the car and there's stations around but not a lot. I like using the car and cruising to Tahoe ect. On a 85* day on the freeway with AC on it'll go 228... and remember that's freeway, surface streets isn't an option. I've just caught myself too many times lately saying I can't take my car somewhere because it's too hot out. And that's not fun.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FRiCK916
Your twins are off to the side, not blocking the radiator. I want to go E85 but I drive the car and there's stations around but not a lot. I like using the car and cruising to Tahoe ect. On a 85* day on the freeway with AC on it'll go 228... and remember that's freeway, surface streets isn't an option. I've just caught myself too many times lately saying I can't take my car somewhere because it's too hot out. And that's not fun.
Damn man. Have you talked to Andy and Crew at A&A? There has to be a lot of cars running around there with the kits and other members here running in warmer areas. My friend has an A&A kit on his black 2000 coupe with stock radiator and stock T stat and he usually runs about 20 or so degrees warmer than me. I want to go E85 for the numerous benefits besides lower heat but trips will have to be better planned. If I go forged and turn it up I will definitly add meth if not E85.

Last edited by PEETYZ; 08-14-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih

1.160 thermostat

Have to agree with you on this one.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Scott,
The stock Radiator cannot keep up when you have an intercooler in front of it. I can help you out with one of our radiators that will get the job done. 2 1/2" all aluminum core with a 3" cut-down so you can put the 4" intalke duct on your SC and gain some free boost. If you do not have HP tuners I can also set your fans to work better.
Give me a call and we can make it happen.
Steve
(707) 365-0117
Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM
spoolin7
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the original A&A kit, so i have the intercooler without the scoop. I've been running the kit for around 3 years with the stock radiator and whatnot with absolutely no issues. I have the stock thermostat and all. The car will reach 210 in traffic with the a/c, but usually is around 190-195.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:03 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Stock radiator is pretty taxed on a blower app especially in a warm environment. It

Your not going to like it if you ditch the intercooler. Do it right and get the big radiator and if you can swing it the spal fans.

Have you or anyone tried playing around with the fan settings? That helps.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 AM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have read that a thick core radiator will not help if you cant pull enough air through it with a stock fan.

the plate screen mod will not help on the A&A kit unless you cut the sheet metal out behind it so its a clear shot to the intercooler.

I have also wondered if a lowered car will run hotter closer to the hot *** pavment.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Mine is lowered and it gets an average of 198-205 in town traffic under normal driving conditions. It will jump up to 217-219 when it get on it rowing through the gears, but quickly drops to 199-205 when I just drop back to cruising. This is when I have the A/C on, otherwise it stays pretty much normal. This time of summer is brutal on cooling when the temps hover the triple digit mark.

Oh mine is a stock radiator with A&A V3-si trim.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:20 PM
FRiCK916
Pro

Originally Posted by a/c man
I have read that a thick core radiator will not help if you cant pull enough air through it with a stock fan.

the plate screen mod will not help on the A&A kit unless you cut the sheet metal out behind it so its a clear shot to the intercooler.

I have also wondered if a lowered car will run hotter closer to the hot *** pavment.
Lol c'mon man... I cut it out. I feel like this is an airflow issue. I'd be willing to bet the stock radiator would be fine with some bad *** fans...
Old 08-16-2014, 04:17 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Thick core radiators have a hard time at idle because of the increased restriction to the fans.... I do not feel the 11" spal fans are any better then the stock fans....On a hot day, its tough to keep the temps down with the ac on at idle... Just too much restricted air flow getting into the radiator.

Ironically, I never had an issue with my stock radiator and fans, yet with my Dewitts/spals it has always idled hot... And I have tried both the old style A&A intercooler and the later ram air style with the scoop that sits lower.... Runs hot with either one at idle.. I saw 234* idling yesterday with the AC on and 97* outside....had to turn the AC off... SUCKED...

I'm tempted to cut out the front frame support above the intercooler to allow more open area straight to the radiator, above the intercooler.

Get notified of new replies

To ditching the A&A? ?

Quick Reply: ditching the A&A? ?