C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V3 Si: Tightened belt, bearing noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default V3 Si: Tightened belt, bearing noise?

Hey everyone,

I've been enjoying my used A&A kit for a few weeks now but recently noticed what seemed to be belt slip at higher RPMs. Yesterday I tightened the belt as tight as I could possibly get it and now it seems my blower is quite a bit louder than before. It's always whistled at idle, but now it's a lot louder, to the point where it will hurt my ears if the hood is open and I'm standing next to it for too long.

The whistle/whine doesn't seem to get louder when I rev the engine, and there's no grinding or clunking noises. Before installing, I spun the pulley by hand and it felt very smooth. Oil is fresh and at the proper level.

What do you think? Anything to worry about? Is it possible to have the belt too tight?

The following users liked this post:
Joshua VandenBerg (05-02-2024)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it go away if you let a little of the tension back out? I don't think you can make it too tight as long as the tensioner has travel in it.

Last edited by jmxp69; 08-07-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,232 Likes on 775 Posts

in the video it sounds fine man. you can really crank down on the J bracket and it'll be fine. If you want swing by the shop sometime and i'll listen to it in person.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:05 PM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmxp69
Does it go away if you let a little of the tension back out? I don't think you can make it too tight as long as the tensioner has travel in it.
Yeah, it does seem to quiet down if I loosen it up a bit. But I really cranked it down and it's back.

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
in the video it sounds fine man. you can really crank down on the J bracket and it'll be fine. If you want swing by the shop sometime and i'll listen to it in person.
Awesome, sounds like nothing to worry about (like everything else I've asked you about). I'm headed to meet Nic to switch over to an S/D tune this afternoon so if I have time afterward I'll cruise by. Otherwise next time!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by RoccoC5
Hey everyone,

I've been enjoying my used A&A kit for a few weeks now but recently noticed what seemed to be belt slip at higher RPMs. Yesterday I tightened the belt as tight as I could possibly get it and now it seems my blower is quite a bit louder than before. It's always whistled at idle, but now it's a lot louder, to the point where it will hurt my ears if the hood is open and I'm standing next to it for too long.

The whistle/whine doesn't seem to get louder when I rev the engine, and there's no grinding or clunking noises. Before installing, I spun the pulley by hand and it felt very smooth. Oil is fresh and at the proper level.

What do you think? Anything to worry about? Is it possible to have the belt too tight?

Music to my ears.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM
jrc1087
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are all the pullys lined up? do you have stock or aftermarket water pump?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Awesome, sounds like nothing to worry about (like everything else I've asked you about). I'm headed to meet Nic to switch over to an S/D tune this afternoon so if I have time afterward I'll cruise by. Otherwise next time!
Lucky you. Someday Im gonna be running meth with a speed density tune. Ill have to stick with what I have for now. New tune plus meth kit plus install is pricey. Have fun with it!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 AM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ascastil
Lucky you. Someday Im gonna be running meth with a speed density tune. Ill have to stick with what I have for now. New tune plus meth kit plus install is pricey. Have fun with it!
No meth for me, at least not yet. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 AM
jmxp69
Racer

No meth for me, at least not yet. Thanks!
Mine goes in next week I've got lots of 'before' log data I'll be able to compare to 'after' with the meth kit. I'll share what I find out with you guys.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey everyone,

Hey Rocco,
I have the same A&A V3-SI and mine use to sound the same as yours, I put the Big Bubba Blow Off Valve on and now "it" is so loud I can hardly hear the S/C anymore. I prefer the whine but the big valve is awesome too I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Dirty Harry "Lee" -Torch Red 03 Supercharged
North Dallas Corvette Club
http://ndcctx.com/ [Founding Member]
Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Honestly, I'd let Joe take a look. Mine does not sound like that. Not even close.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmxp69
Honestly, I'd let Joe take a look. Mine does not sound like that. Not even close.
Yeah...I just checked out your video and it's much less obnoxious. After running it on the dyno yesterday it has quieted down some, though. I sent the video to Vortech to see what they say and will have to make a trip to Joe's shop soon.

Get notified of new replies

To V3 Si: Tightened belt, bearing noise?

Quick Reply: V3 Si: Tightened belt, bearing noise?