C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Forged motor & turn up the boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM
1slowride
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Forged motor & turn up the boost

Been on the fence for a while about what to do with the car. I installed a ECS blower kit with Alky last year, but did not complete the package. So this year, I have been on the fence about if or not I really wanted a TRUE beast, leave it as is, or sell and move on.
I think I may be one of the few that ran a stock bottom end LS1 engine pushing 13 lbs, and the motor stayed together......lol, LUCKY I know. It was tuned pretty safe, and that with ALOT of luck, it held together.
SO NOW,,,,,,,,,
I have a motor in the process of being built to complete my package. All forged, 9.8-1, ECS blower cam, LQ4 CNC'd 317 headed with Alky 100% meth. Car has a built A4 and a 3.15 gear.
Can't wait to see the results of adding some timing and boost.
Goal is to have a TRUE driven, never trailer-ed street car that will beat down some of the so called street cars in this town that is trailer-ed to the track.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

sounds like you're going to have a nice setup when it's done. Keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

What blower and what will your engine displacement be?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 AM
dblack
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ain't gonna happen with 315 gears
Old 07-29-2014, 11:44 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowride
Been on the fence for a while about what to do with the car. I installed a ECS blower kit with Alky last year, but did not complete the package. So this year, I have been on the fence about if or not I really wanted a TRUE beast, leave it as is, or sell and move on.
I think I may be one of the few that ran a stock bottom end LS1 engine pushing 13 lbs, and the motor stayed together......lol, LUCKY I know. It was tuned pretty safe, and that with ALOT of luck, it held together.
SO NOW,,,,,,,,,
I have a motor in the process of being built to complete my package. All forged, 9.8-1, ECS blower cam, LQ4 CNC'd 317 headed with Alky 100% meth. Car has a built A4 and a 3.15 gear.
Can't wait to see the results of adding some timing and boost.
Goal is to have a TRUE driven, never trailer-ed street car that will beat down some of the so called street cars in this town that is trailer-ed to the track.

Sounds like a fun build......Nice to have lots of local competition to play with.

Oh and forget about that no trailer thing... If youre racing a C5 on the drag strip, you'll be trailering it one way or another..... After 3 flatbed rides home at midnight from the drag strip, I bought a trailer...

Getting to the track is NO PROBLEM....getting home, THAT is the problem...
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM
1slowride
Racer

Default 3.15 Gears

The 3.15s is a must in this car. I have a all around goal of the car being comfortable to drive on many long trips, and a few (couple) of weekend trips to the strip. I as well as everyone knows the difference a 3.42 would make, but not worth the payout for me.
As for the thought of always needing a (lower gear),,,,,
I used to own a true driven street car that would run a 6.32 @ 116 mph with a 3.70 gear and 26" tire. Just have to make the power.

dblack, you say interesting post?
Don't take this post personal seeing you are from here, I have a few "select" so called street cars in this town that I will never let run with me, It's just personal. I know you also have a build in the process, and I would like to see your C5 lay down a strong pass.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM
1slowride
Racer

Default competition

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Sounds like a fun build......Nice to have lots of local competition to play with.

Oh and forget about that no trailer thing... If youre racing a C5 on the drag strip, you'll be trailering it one way or another..... After 3 flatbed rides home at midnight from the drag strip, I bought a trailer...

Getting to the track is NO PROBLEM....getting home, THAT is the problem...
With me it's not about the local competition, I like to see people lay down big numbers and reach there goals. But I know of a few select people who are pretty mouthy around here, who have just rubbed me wrong. I am sure everyone knows the type people I refer to.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM
dblack
Racer

Oh no, I ain't taking it personal at all. I know exactly what you are going after with this and I can't wait to see it come together.

I hope we can hook 'em up with these versions of the cars as they should at least still be in the same ball park.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Razor1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. I got a c5 with some head work and gears with a 150 shot. True street car, these guys around here with trailer cars hate it. I will run them any day of the week.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 PM
dblack
Racer

1slowride is talking a little different league than heads, gears, and a little gas.

There are more than a handful of street cars* in a 20-30 mile radius that can bust off 5 second 1/8 mile times with relative ease.

And please don't take this comment as me disrespecting your car, Razor1. My current combo is essentially the same thing as what you listed.

*definition can be tailored to suit your needs.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 PM
1slowride
Racer

Default Street cars

As dblack said, in this town there are several very fast cars. I am in no way thinking, or even wanting to run with the big boys around here. A respected 700 rwhp car in this town (Huntsville) can and will be humbled pretty quick.
I knew I was pushing the limits of a stock rolling assembly, and wanted around another 100 hp to make up for the 3.15's and 3000 stall converter, so I pulled the LS1, sold it, and started new.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Razor1
4th Gear

No disrespect taking at all dblack. Its just that my c5 will click off low 6.s on a regular basis. A lot of "street cars" dont do that with air and cruise that still works. 1slowride what kind of time are you looking to get out of your car?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 AM
dblack
Racer

Low 6's is getting down for the mods listed.

You rowing gears?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Razor1
4th Gear

No, auto with converter and progressive.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 AM
dblack
Racer

I like your taste.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 PM
1slowride
Racer

Default Times

Originally Posted by Razor1
No disrespect taking at all dblack. Its just that my c5 will click off low 6.s on a regular basis. A lot of "street cars" dont do that with air and cruise that still works. 1slowride what kind of time are you looking to get out of your car?
Razor,
I am not trying to build the car to run a specific 1/8 mile number. I am really wanting to make as much reliable power as I can make, and still have a perfect street mannered car. Car is a Vert, and I do take it on a lot of road trips. At 700 rwhp the car was very nice to drive, but have no idea what it would run in the 1/8th. S0 now I plan to make 3 to 4 more PSI with the new motor, with hope that the extra power will make up for the 3.15 gears, and the 3000 stall. Should make a nice 1/4 mile car, and a killer street car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1/8 mile, still should be descent.
This build has already cost way more than I had planned to spend,,,lol. I should have stuck to my original plans.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Razor1
4th Gear

I run up at Brainard a fair bit. I dont know much about doing the long haul stuff. Its hard to get a run on the street that last more than 1/8th mile. I wish there was a track close by to do some 1/4 mile stuff, that would be fun to try.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:24 AM
1slowride
Racer

Default Back to life

Just about there,,,,,,,
I fired the new build up last night for the first time, and after about 7 seconds, it settled down with 70 psi of oil pressure, and sounded great.
I am going to have to buy a different gates belt, the old belt is now the wrong size, and add 1 more quart of oil because it seems to want 7 full quarts, then check it for leaks, install the hood, wash off the 2 month old dust ,and give it a test drive.

I do have a traction control light on after cranking it, I seem to have put a brake line in a bind by mistake when dropping the cradle, and caused a leak at the junction block. I think I have it fixed now, so I will clear the code, and see if it comes back.

Get notified of new replies

To New Forged motor & turn up the boost

Quick Reply: New Forged motor & turn up the boost