C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over heating with AA kit

Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 PM
dc491
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating with AA kit

I picked up a plastic bag on the AC condenser and the car overheated. DIC alarm went off and I pulled over right away. I pulled the bag off and let it cool down but it still overheated so I had it towed. I had a lot of crap between the condenser and radiator so I cleaned that out with a long air hose wand. I have pressure on my top hose when the car gets up around 230. I am running a 160 stat and the fans are tuned accordingly. I changed the stat and water pump a year and a half ago. My question is when I picked up that bag and the car got hot will that typically break the thermostat? That is the only thing I can think. I guess its possible my water pump could have gone. I have never had any cooling issues. I live in AZ and my car would rarely see 210 with the AC on a 100+ day. I have not drove the car since, but running it in the garage the temp climbs all the way up. Both speeds on the fans are working at the proper temps. Any ideas? I plan on tearing it down to get to the stat and pump. Not really excited about pulling off the blower so looking for something I might be missing before I go that route.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by dc491
I picked up a plastic bag on the AC condenser and the car overheated. DIC alarm went off and I pulled over right away. I pulled the bag off and let it cool down but it still overheated so I had it towed. I had a lot of crap between the condenser and radiator so I cleaned that out with a long air hose wand. I have pressure on my top hose when the car gets up around 230. I am running a 160 stat and the fans are tuned accordingly. I changed the stat and water pump a year and a half ago. My question is when I picked up that bag and the car got hot will that typically break the thermostat? That is the only thing I can think. I guess its possible my water pump could have gone. I have never had any cooling issues. I live in AZ and my car would rarely see 210 with the AC on a 100+ day. I have not drove the car since, but running it in the garage the temp climbs all the way up. Both speeds on the fans are working at the proper temps. Any ideas? I plan on tearing it down to get to the stat and pump. Not really excited about pulling off the blower so looking for something I might be missing before I go that route.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave since it got hot on you and I would say you lost so water from the radiator. So take the cap off let it run to make sure you dont have air now in the line on the top end of your motor. That is what happen to me when I had the Kenne Bell on the car...

The 230 temp shouldn't have killed your pump or other parts if you pulled right over. So check to make sure you dont have air in your lines now. Cause my what you are saying here if you do so it will keep getting hot on you until you get it out..

Last edited by robert miller; 07-28-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 AM
dc491
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert miller
Dave since it got hot on you and I would say you lost so water from the radiator. So take the cap off let it run to make sure you dont have air now in the line on the top end of your motor. That is what happen to me when I had the Kenne Bell on the car...

The 230 temp shouldn't have killed your pump or other parts if you pulled right over. So check to make sure you dont have air in your lines now. Cause my what you are saying here if you do so it will keep getting hot on you until you get it out..
It doesn't appear that I lost any fluid in the coolant tank. I've heard of air building in the top of the heads and I know how to bleed it out on the bridge. I have not done that yet but will attempt tomorrow. I don't think I lost fluid. It wasn't boiling over.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,226 Likes on 773 Posts

We are local to you fyi, if you would like to swing by and have us check it out for you we would love to! Or give us a call at the shop and I can go over some things to check out sir.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller

air pocket or the T-Stat is stuck closed
Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm voting Tstat on this one. just replace it first. it's quick and easy.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 PM
dc491
Instructor

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
I'm voting Tstat on this one. just replace it first. it's quick and easy.
Well, it would be quick and easy without an AA kit on it. It's not so hard getting to it, I just dread putting the blower back on. This will be about my 4th time and it doesn't seem to be getting easier.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Agreed, thats bit of work with the blower there. First try this: Jack the front of the car up. The reason for this is to make it easier for any potential air pockets to make it to the steam vents. With the cap on and system pressurized and temps above where the tstat should be open, crack the bolts holding the steam vents down. You may need to lift up on the tubes to break the seal. See if only steam comes out or if there is intermittent air and water coming out. Get it where there is only water coming out. If only steam comes out then it would seem that the system is not moving water either due to the water pump or tstat failing.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

But 230 isn't even enough to start pushing water out the reservoir, so I can't see air getting into the system. I'm leaning towards either water pump or tstat not working correctly. The plastic bag may be a red herring.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

are both of your cooling fans coming on?
Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 PM
jrc1087
Advanced

i had a similar issue with mine. here in san antonio tx and the engine temps would climb pretty high sometimes seeing 235. i changed out the stock radiator and that brought it down to between 190-210.
i think a huge problem is the intercooler blocks a lot of air flow to the radiator and the radiator cant keep up. all aluminum like dewitts will be able to dissipate heat a lot better. originally i was going to keep running to stock radiator but i think hitting those temps every now and then finally cracked the tank.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM
dc491
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrc1087
i had a similar issue with mine. here in san antonio tx and the engine temps would climb pretty high sometimes seeing 235. i changed out the stock radiator and that brought it down to between 190-210.
i think a huge problem is the intercooler blocks a lot of air flow to the radiator and the radiator cant keep up. all aluminum like dewitts will be able to dissipate heat a lot better. originally i was going to keep running to stock radiator but i think hitting those temps every now and then finally cracked the tank.
It was the stat. I pulled it out and boiled it, stuck shut. I put in a new one and am just running distilled water wit water wetter. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Cool glad you figured it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Over heating with AA kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Over heating with AA kit