C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flip drive AC belt slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Flip drive AC belt slipping

i have searched this forum for the past 2 days and have pm's a couple of members on this issue. i have found a thread where the guy was having the exact same problem and a gator belt fixed his problem. well i have since ordered that belt and waiting for it to come in, tomorrow it will be here.

one member suggested i swap pulleys out on the AC side to increase belt wrap on the crank. What i was wondering is if any member has done this and what size pulley you put on the tensioner or a idler. also where did you get the pulley from

thanks again for all those members who have answered my pms. this is one of the last problems i am having after my build.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't had that issue. Maybe run to the auto parts store and get a slightly smaller belt? You got it really tight right?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I haven't tested mine yet, but the belt wrap is horrible on this arrangement. I'll be running a ZR1 compressor with a 6-rib belt and increasing the idler pulley diameter for better belt wrap.

I feel that better belt wrap from a larger diameter idler alone will solve your issue, but you'll be on the hunt for yet another belt after you find the right diameter pulley.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

I'm running an A&A setup with the flip drive that I have replaced their crappy parts they make with stuff from Dallas performance. May be a completely different setup than yours. That being said, it is really easy to get a smaller belt from the auto parts store. Cartek is the devil.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

i am going with blownbluez06's idea on getting a larger idler pulley so i can have more belt wrap and getting s gates belt.

hopefully it is that simple but if not i will start looking at other options
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by idontknow
i am going with blownbluez06's idea on getting a larger idler pulley so i can have more belt wrap and getting s gates belt.

hopefully it is that simple but if not i will start looking at other options
Its your money and time. Do what you wish. I've had the flip drive apart a dozen times. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

Somewhat of a common issue. We have ran ecs' new cog drive flip drive setup on a few cars and it works perfectly! It not longer splits the ac belt bit instead adds a middle cog belt to drive the flip drive. Works flawlessly.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

spent today trying to solve this issue and here are the results

new belts - slips when turning AC on and off
new belts with stock Altenator - slips when ac is on and off
new belts with new tensionor and stock ALT. - slips only at low rpms with AC on

we are at our wits end cause out of the 3 vettes we have with flip drives mine is the only one that slips. looking at the new overdrive balancer ribs tomorrow to see if anything is wrong with them.

looked at swapping pulleys out and the only one we saw that we could do is the tensionor pulley. the top idler if we put a bigger on on it will touch the water pump.

using ALL GATES BELTS
Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 PM
69ls6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

loosen the alternator belt if it's not the spring loaded style..Alternator belt should only be snug not tight
Old 08-06-2014, 10:03 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

tried loosening the alt. belt this past sunday. started slipping on the alt. then. it was only one turn of the adjustment bolt on that belt. going to do a half turn this saturday. the only thing we can come up with is that the balancer 4 rib section isn't cut right.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 AM
fotoboy
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dpdd here and no issues. Did u clean ur belt before u installed it?
Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 AM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

nope, wasn't dirty
Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,087 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
Somewhat of a common issue. We have ran ecs' new cog drive flip drive setup on a few cars and it works perfectly! It not longer splits the ac belt bit instead adds a middle cog belt to drive the flip drive. Works flawlessly.
Glad your happy with it, it's the only fix we have found that works. Including going six rib on AC belt which was better, but still slipped.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

I've had a "belt chirp" every since I installed mine. Ive had bigger issues (trans problem) so I haven't had time to even find which belt it is. Never had an issue before, so I don't know why I would now. I have lossened and tightened the alt and blower and no luck.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:46 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
I've had a "belt chirp" every since I installed mine. Ive had bigger issues (trans problem) so I haven't had time to even find which belt it is. Never had an issue before, so I don't know why I would now. I have lossened and tightened the alt and blower and no luck.
i loosened by alt. belt earlier this week but it still didn't fix my problem. i really don't want to take everything apart and spend another grand sending my stuff to ECS for the cog modification.

i am going to try to get a smaller AC belt but in doing so then i loose a little belt wrap on the balancer.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I sent mine in to ECS today for the cog upgrade. I don't want to waste precious time messing with this only to ultimately send it in anyway when nothing else works. The fix is no where near that expensive.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 AM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patches
I sent mine in to ECS today for the cog upgrade. I don't want to waste precious time messing with this only to ultimately send it in anyway when nothing else works. The fix is no where near that expensive.
how much is it cause the thread i saw it in it was $985?

Get notified of new replies

To Flip drive AC belt slipping

Old 11-26-2014, 11:14 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
yup totally agree got my balancer today for ecs.. killer work

Old 11-28-2014, 12:53 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

going to be taking mine off over the winter and sending it to them for the upgrade.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:10 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by idontknow
going to be taking mine off over the winter and sending it to them for the upgrade.
well worth it..make sure u send to ECS there machinist is awesome

no more slipping anything!!

Quick Reply: Flip drive AC belt slipping