C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the path to 500+ RWHP

Old 07-27-2014, 01:20 AM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the path to 500+ RWHP

My goal is to get just past 500 hp at the rear wheels in my 98 vert.

Here's what I've got / and have on the way:

Comp cam 259/265 duration, .515/.522 lift

Kooks Long tube with HiFlow cats

Maggie TVS2300 w 3.1" pulley

Batwing CAI

I understand the lower end is good to approx 550 hp. I don't race, I drive hard but mainly on 2 lane country roads. I'm not anywhere near red line when I drive.

The only additional part I can think of that MIGHT get me to my mark would be some 1.8 rocker arms... Don't want to buy anything I don't REALY need, just want to make sure I reach my goal.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Find a set of 243/799 heads, imo to do a fun to drive h/c/blower combo. Personally I despise the use of non-stick ratio rockers as it always seems to throw the geometry/wipe pattern off unless your going solid roller or custom setup.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:55 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be far past 500whp if you go with all that. You can achieve 500whp with a supercharger alone. With a crazy cam and LT headers you'll be well over.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

It's an awfull disease , a terrible sickness , and an addiction to boot
Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 803 Likes on 529 Posts

yeah, if you can't make over 500 with that setup, kick your tuner in the junk & have a mail-order/datalog tune done by some of the guys on here.

at your elevation with LTs & stock heads, that pulley should be good for about 9psi. depending on how much overlap your cam has, you'll probably lose a good 1-2psi but should still be north of 500 due to the top-end that cam should make.

also, if you ain't installed the blower yet, it'd be worth your while to take the lower manifold off of it & have it ported out to rectangles instead of little triangles. that'll help in the higher rpms
Old 07-27-2014, 08:53 PM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
yeah, if you can't make over 500 with that setup, kick your tuner in the junk & have a mail-order/datalog tune done by some of the guys on here.

at your elevation with LTs & stock heads, that pulley should be good for about 9psi. depending on how much overlap your cam has, you'll probably lose a good 1-2psi but should still be north of 500 due to the top-end that cam should make.

also, if you ain't installed the blower yet, it'd be worth your while to take the lower manifold off of it & have it ported out to rectangles instead of little triangles. that'll help in the higher rpms
THANK YOU. I thought so too, but just wanted some confirmation. I've read and studied on this forum a lot, and if anyone is willing to read and learn, almost all the answers are here.

Blower is not installed yet. I'll contact my tuner and see if he can get that taken care of. My cam has an overlap of 112. I knew about the loss from the headers and that's why I went with the smaller pulley - that the salesman said I didn't need and should have put on smaller headers. Duh. I thought the purpose of the blower is to move AS MUCH air in and out as possible!

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate them. I'll let you know how it goes; post my sheet at the end.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 803 Likes on 529 Posts

looks like the Comp XFI 206/212 .515/.522 112.
it actually might be within a psi or so of stock and should be a good mild gain all around.

using 1 3/4 headers with a mildly-blown LS1 will move plenty enough air. you don't need 1 7/8 til you start really turning up the boost or going big cubes. that's why he recommended the smaller ones, but they'd be pretty close to each other for any boost reduction.

your altitude will account for almost 1psi less than at sea level, so that's another reason to go with the smaller pulley you have.

Get notified of new replies

To On the path to 500+ RWHP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the path to 500+ RWHP