C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real measurement for IAT and meth nozzle location???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Real measurement for IAT and meth nozzle location???

After many many trouble i will finally begin the install of my blower setup.
I ll be running the maf, a single meth nozzle with a seperate IAT sensor with the casper maf/iat breakout harness to make it clean : http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1108

What should be the minimum measurement between :

TB and IAT
IAT and Meth nozzle
Meth nozzle and TB

My plan was to install the iat the closest possible from the tb than leave 4 inch and install the meth nozzle than with the remaning space, the maf.

What do you think??
Thanks
Eric
Old 07-27-2014, 04:17 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by always faster
After many many trouble i will finally begin the install of my blower setup.
I ll be running the maf, a single meth nozzle with a seperate IAT sensor with the casper maf/iat breakout harness to make it clean : http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1108

What should be the minimum measurement between :

TB and IAT
IAT and Meth nozzle
Meth nozzle and TB

My plan was to install the iat the closest possible from the tb than leave 4 inch and install the meth nozzle than with the remaning space, the maf.

What do you think??
Thanks
Eric
Spray the meth prior to the IAT.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Spray the meth prior to the IAT.
Well yeah, if you read my thread you can see that i ve put it exactly that way:

TB, IAT, Meth nozzle ,maf

Im only concern with the measurement between all those parts.

Again: iat the closest possible from the tb than leave 4 inch and install the meth nozzle than with the remaning space, the maf

Ok or not ?
I mean is there any precise measurement ???

Thanks
Eric
Old 07-27-2014, 04:39 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

4"-6" and you'll be fine.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:47 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CamminC5
4"-6" and you'll be fine.
So the IAT closest to the TB and then ill leave 4-6 inch then the meth nozzle.Maf will be install just after the meth nozzle.

Thanks
Eric
Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

This is a subject of great controversy. what i'm about to say, I haven't verified with testing myself it's just a theory. with such I could be off base but here's my thoughts. GM has them built in to the MAF on some setups and others are 4-6 inches in front of the throttle body. your heading in the right direction having the IAT after the Meth nozzles (for obvious reasons). with that said, I have mine mounted in the back of the intake manifold. I did that because I think there would be a measurable difference in air temperature from a point 4-6 inches before the throttle body vs the air temperature at the back of the intake manifold. and either way you mount it, its not difficult to do. I believe that you want to know what the air temp is entering the intake runners or even the cylinders but we do not have that ability with the stock ECM.

im about to crap on everything I said, but in most applications the 4-6 inch IAT mounting gap post meth nozzles is probably good enough.

out of curiosity, how much boost do you plan on making? you may want to consider ditching the MAF all together and doing a Speed Density Tune.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:30 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
This is a subject of great controversy. what i'm about to say, I haven't verified with testing myself it's just a theory. with such I could be off base but here's my thoughts. GM has them built in to the MAF on some setups and others are 4-6 inches in front of the throttle body. your heading in the right direction having the IAT after the Meth nozzles (for obvious reasons). with that said, I have mine mounted in the back of the intake manifold. I did that because I think there would be a measurable difference in air temperature from a point 4-6 inches before the throttle body vs the air temperature at the back of the intake manifold. and either way you mount it, its not difficult to do. I believe that you want to know what the air temp is entering the intake runners or even the cylinders but we do not have that ability with the stock ECM.

im about to crap on everything I said, but in most applications the 4-6 inch IAT mounting gap post meth nozzles is probably good enough.

out of curiosity, how much boost do you plan on making? you may want to consider ditching the MAF all together and doing a Speed Density Tune.
Thanks for all the info.

I ll be boosting 7-8 psi max on my 11:1 cr 383 with a 240/244 (.62x/.62x ) @ 113 lsa wich is not a blower cam.The meth (50/50 is only gonna be there to keep the iat low (about .5 AFR) not to boost the timing
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for all the info.

I ll be boosting 7-8 psi max on my 11:1 cr 383 with a 240/244 (.62x/.62x ) @ 113 lsa wich is not a blower cam.The meth (50/50 is only gonna be there to keep the iat low (about .5 AFR) not to boost the timing
awesome!! I think your going to be at the ragged edge of wanting to go SD. The car should make 700 WHP with that static compression ratio.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
awesome!! I think your going to be at the ragged edge of wanting to go SD. The car should make 700 WHP with that static compression ratio.
Hope to get 650whp and not go over 700whp(if i do get there) because i would need a new fuel setup and i dont wanna do that.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I have the caspers harness also. Here is what I have iat's in the high 70 low 80 range if I remember correctly. It's about 4" from the iat. You can see the iat sensor then the nozzle is on that same pipe look to the upper left you ill see the brass nozzle...

edit here is a better pic..

Last edited by Chicago1; 07-29-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:22 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I have the caspers harness also. Here is what I have iat's in the high 70 low 80 range if I remember correctly. It's about 4" from the iat. You can see the iat sensor then the nozzle is on that same pipe look to the upper left you ill see the brass nozzle...

edit here is a better pic..

Thanks for the info and pics

Is it better to mount the iat horizontally or vertically ??
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

my understanding is it doesn't matter and my temps are dead on every pull with the meth activated..So I'm good with it all it is is a sensor it shouldn't matter not like a meth nozzle or pump which is injecting some type of liquid. I could be wrong but this works for me
Old 09-01-2014, 05:55 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Bringing this one back up.Im about fininshing the install and im messing with the intake pipe.

I wont be able to get the meth nozzle 4 inch before the IAT...About 2 - 2.5 or maybe 3 inch if im stretch everyhing.
I would cut the intake pipe just after the bend but i need to leav at least 1 1/8 of pipe to be able the get a good clamp.
Is it still gonna work or im just about to mess everything...

Last edited by always faster; 09-01-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:19 PM
SilverZ06NC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed mine in the intake manifold, right behind the TB. The meth nozzle is about 8" In front of the IAT sensor. It has worked great for me. You can tell on the dyno the intake temps dropped a great deal like 40* or so.

Bryan

The meth line is going in about the middle of the pipe, before the TB.

Last edited by SilverZ06NC; 09-01-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Bringing this one back up.Im about fininshing the install and im messing with the intake pipe.

I wont be able to get the meth nozzle 4 inch before the IAT...About 2 - 2.5 or maybe 3 inch if im stretch everyhing.
I would cut the intake pipe just after the bend but i need to leav at least 1 1/8 of pipe to be able the get a good clamp.
Is it still gonna work or im just about to mess everything...
I have seen them closer on high hp cars and no issues mine may be a little closer then what I stated before and works fine
Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverZ06NC
I installed mine in the intake manifold, right behind the TB. The meth nozzle is about 8" In front of the IAT sensor. It has worked great for me. You can tell on the dyno the intake temps dropped a great deal like 40* or so.

Bryan

The meth line is going in about the middle of the pipe, before the TB.
Well i kinda like that idea.The IAT is like 3/8 NPT so drilling a 37/64 hole than do the thread and i could mount the meth nozzle anywhere on the pipe...I would not have to take the intake of the car, just the tb.This idea is really growing on me

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I have seen them closer on high hp cars and no issues mine may be a little closer then what I stated before and works fine
Thanks again for your help(you did help me a lot in a couple of thread) if i dont install the IAT in the intake i will do my first idea and the nozzle will be between 2-3 inch before the IAT . Just happy to know that some other member have done it and work.

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

if you look close you can see where mine is.
iat is on the underside of the intake pipe and meth nozzles are under the plastic shroud... no issues

Get notified of new replies

To Real measurement for IAT and meth nozzle location???

Old 09-09-2014, 03:08 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverZ06NC

Bryan

Is the intake material strongh enough to ensure a good quality thread.I mean after some seach i did find the the material is only .080" thick at this location...I feel that its a little but thin to have a great 3\8-18 npt thread...

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-09-2014, 03:37 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

you could use a little jb weld around the iat to help it seal and keep it from coming loose, that's actually what I did with mine but it's under my charge pipe right before the throttle body... I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the iat sensor and just tightened it to thread itself and used some jb weld around the outside edge just for peace of mind... my meth nozzles are at the front of my charge pipe just after the bend in about the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, I would say they are a good 5-6" away from the iat sensor... mine has worked great so far, when logging my iat's drop about 40° once the meth starts spraying full blast
Old 09-09-2014, 07:39 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neutron82
you could use a little jb weld around the iat to help it seal and keep it from coming loose, that's actually what I did with mine but it's under my charge pipe right before the throttle body... I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the iat sensor and just tightened it to thread itself and used some jb weld around the outside edge just for peace of mind... my meth nozzles are at the front of my charge pipe just after the bend in about the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, I would say they are a good 5-6" away from the iat sensor... mine has worked great so far, when logging my iat's drop about 40° once the meth starts spraying full blast
And what do i do if the sensor ever fail ???
I mean i would use Lock Tite professionnal thread sceller (purple) but if i put something else like urethane or jb weld the sensor will be hard to take off ...no ???

Quick Reply: Real measurement for IAT and meth nozzle location???