C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOV issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Z06 Sleeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV issue

hello , I was cleaning and tightening all the systems, and I took the filter off the BOV so I could re-suspend it better and I notice an O-Ring inside the BOV just laying there, there is a silver piston that is about 1/4" and this is keeping the O-Ring from falling out , the O-Ring is just laying on top of the anodized blue valve , sooo , 1-where did this O-Ring come from , 2-I assume if it to seal the blue valve that it somehow popped off the blue valve, 3-is it something I can just put back on, 4- is it dangerous/damaging tto drive without the BOV "O-Ring" , I must say though if this BOV is leaking PSI I am almost afraid to see what the car will do with full PSI !! , thanks in advance for any help

Paul
Old 07-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Z06 Sleeper
Instructor

Default thanks anyway , I removed the BOV and found where the O-ring goes

Originally Posted by Z06 Sleeper
hello , I was cleaning and tightening all the systems, and I took the filter off the BOV so I could re-suspend it better and I notice an O-Ring inside the BOV just laying there, there is a silver piston that is about 1/4" and this is keeping the O-Ring from falling out , the O-Ring is just laying on top of the anodized blue valve , sooo , 1-where did this O-Ring come from , 2-I assume if it to seal the blue valve that it somehow popped off the blue valve, 3-is it something I can just put back on, 4- is it dangerous/damaging tto drive without the BOV "O-Ring" , I must say though if this BOV is leaking PSI I am almost afraid to see what the car will do with full PSI !! , thanks in advance for any help

Paul

thanks all anyway I pulled the bypass valve out and took it apart (there are only 2 bolts) and I was able to manipulate the blue valve and found a channel for the o ring on the underside of the blue valve itself (psi side) so I worked the o-ring out and pressed it back into the valve and reassembled , interestingly for the o-ring to end up on the other side of the blue valve it had to be pushed off exactly square to have the o-ring roll over the bottom (psi side) on the blue valve and end up on the top of the blue valve (bypass to atmosphere side) , but it seems intact now and working ok , I will try it out on later today
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought Bret told you to leave it alone
Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Z06 Sleeper
Instructor

Default nope no one said anything after 100 views , sooooo :-)

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
I thought Bret told you to leave it alone
as far as I know I dont have any replies to my thread/question or even in PM , but no biggy , I figured maybe the group was annoyed at my ignorance :-) and didnt respond ...

no biggy, it is back where it belongs under the blue valve in its groove, so it was unlikely it was sealing completely under boost so we will see, it is fairly close tolerances between the blue valve and valve body/seat but it likely seals better with the o-ring seated where it belongs , I must say there is one hell of a tornado blowing out that bypass at idle , anyone ever think of attaching a hose to it and hiring out to fill hot air balloons :-) , now I can see why the supercharger is so effective in force feeding the cylinders ,
Old 07-31-2014, 01:18 AM
Murder_C5
Instructor

Get it figured out for sure & what valve are you running?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Murder_C5
I'm guessing it's an old Vortech valve and if so, it's a turd that should be replaced. No reason for that O-ring over a proper face and seat cut into the surfaces.
Lost 2-3psi boost with mine years ago and removed it immediately.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Z06 Sleeper
Instructor

Default hello sir , thanks for the reply

hello , I am not sure , it may be an original form an AA kit, it has some numbers/letters on it and when I get home I was going to take it back out and lube and see if the o-ring is still where I put it , it is metal body with a black plastic top with a vacuum hose on top of the black plastic part there is also another "port" that is tapped over, the outflow window is oval and you can see the top of the blue anodized valve via the oval outflow port , it feels like it is running fine, smooth idle, can hear it "blow off" if I lift throttle at say 45mph in 2nd at 3500rpm or so , runs strong and at about 3000rpm/20mph 2nd gear she pulls hard from then on up , havent been driving hard and havent dropped the clutch yet, mostly short test bunny runs 2nd to 4th and havent been over 4500rpm yet, but so far no issues, i will likely get a new BOV from turbosmart/AA/jegs etc when I get a chance , thanks for the help

Originally Posted by Murder_C5
Old 07-31-2014, 05:24 PM
Z06 Sleeper
Instructor

Default thanks for the reply

hello , I am not sure , it may be an original form an AA kit, it has some numbers/letters on it and when I get home I was going to take it back out and lube and see if the o-ring is still where I put it , it is metal body with a black plastic top with a vacuum hose on top of the black plastic part there is also another "port" that is tapped over, the outflow window is oval and you can see the top of the blue anodized valve via the oval outflow port , it feels like it is running fine, smooth idle, can hear it "blow off" if I lift throttle at say 45mph in 2nd at 3500rpm or so , runs strong and at about 3000rpm/20mph 2nd gear she pulls hard from then on up , havent been driving hard and havent dropped the clutch yet, mostly short test bunny runs 2nd to 4th and havent been over 4500rpm yet, but so far no issues, i will likely get a new BOV from turbosmart/AA/jegs etc when I get a chance , thanks for the help

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
I'm guessing it's an old Vortech valve and if so, it's a turd that should be replaced. No reason for that O-ring over a proper face and seat cut into the surfaces.
Lost 2-3psi boost with mine years ago and removed it immediately.

Get notified of new replies

To BOV issue

Quick Reply: BOV issue