C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new coolant pump for Maggie

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need new coolant pump for Maggie

Pulled and tested my coolant pump today and it is dead. I have found a few pumps on the net anywhere from $1K to $80. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a specific flowrate required from the pump. I haven't found any of them that list a flowrate, but didn't want to jump and buy the wrong thing. I don't see why the $80 Bosch pump won't work just as well as the $200 Motocraft or the $1K identical Bosch pump that failed. Any imput is much appreciated.

I did just notice the $80 Bosch is an Aux coolant pump. Not sure exactly what an Aux coolant pump is for? Is it not rated to run for long periods of time maybe? The Motocraft is a supercharger coolant pump, maybe I should go with that???

Also just noticed the Motocraft pump says "Bosch" on the pump.

The pump that failed is: Bosch (058)
PCA 12V
0 392 022 002
F8YH 8501 AA
FORD
I am thinking that somewhere in the numbers is a liter/min flowrate. I just don't know which number it is. Anyone???

Last edited by Lt. Dan M.; 07-24-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mate , at least your getting somewhere.

See if I can find out anything .

I originally got an MP112 KIT , I then went TVS2300 .

So I do have a new pump if you get stuck , yeah its in the uk BUT

I will be in Florida around the 10th August , can bring it over and post it to you bud .

Also look at ford lightning performance parts ,think they have the same pump installed from factory.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Although my car is an eforce car, not a Maggie, I would look at the Jabsco 50840-0012 pump. I changed the puny one the came with my kit for this. Better flow and a much more robust unit. I got this idea from the CTSV guys who often change out for this model for improved flow. You can get this for under 200.00 if you check around.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NITRO UK
Mate , at least your getting somewhere.

See if I can find out anything .

I originally got an MP112 KIT , I then went TVS2300 .

So I do have a new pump if you get stuck , yeah its in the uk BUT

I will be in Florida around the 10th August , can bring it over and post it to you bud .

Also look at ford lightning performance parts ,think they have the same pump installed from factory.

Wow, can't thank you enough for the kind gesture! I am sure I can find something local but, I would love to buy you a beer ( or whatever you drink) when you are here Thanks for making my week!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Although my car is an eforce car, not a Maggie, I would look at the Jabsco 50840-0012 pump. I changed the puny one the came with my kit for this. Better flow and a much more robust unit. I got this idea from the CTSV guys who often change out for this model for improved flow. You can get this for under 200.00 if you check around.

I will check into that pump, thanks That looks like a very sturdy unit.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

I have to say, to me, the best part of this forum is not the information you get here, it is the brotherhood! People that haven't a clue who you are, willing to not just help but, go out of their way to do so. I have never been part of anything like this forum before, it truly amazes me. Thanks to all.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

I found a website that says the Bosch pump flows 317 GPH. Looks like the Jabsco pump flows 110 LMP. That is 29.05 GPM and 1743.5 GPH That is a lot of flow, makes me wonder if it may not be too much flow? Going from 5.28 GMP to 29.05 GPM is a huge jump.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan M.
I found a website that says the Bosch pump flows 317 GPH. Looks like the Jabsco pump flows 110 LMP. That is 29.05 GPM and 1743.5 GPH That is a lot of flow, makes me wonder if it may not be too much flow? Going from 5.28 GMP to 29.05 GPM is a huge jump.
Its fine.. its higher flow but a low pressure pump. Been using it for while now with no issues, as many others have.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Bought a used and a new pump off Ebay, same as was in the car, $137 for both of them. Now just waiting for one to get here. I took the old one apart. Not much to it. It is a magnetic drive pump, not connected to the motor at all. Pull the screws out and the pump comes out as a sealed unit that just sits inside a plastic housing, no shaft, just a magnet that rotates around inside the housing. Kinda cool actually. Haven't gotten around to opening up the motor, doubt I can fix it, but hey, you never know... Still considering the high flow pump option, but for now this will get me back on the street.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:41 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

, That pump Realcanuk posted does look good eh.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Just took pump motor apart,it is fixable if I can get the parts??? The brushes are so worn down that one flipped over in the holder and wasn't makeing contact. The rest checks out good Now to try and find brushes that will fit, or can be made to fit No big deal if I can't get brushes as I have 2 on the way, but be nice if I could fix it.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

BTW, I contacted the dealer on ebay that is asking $1k for the pump. They said the "they are on back order, the price will change when they get more in".
Old 07-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan M.
BTW, I contacted the dealer on ebay that is asking $1k for the pump. They said the "they are on back order, the price will change when they get more in".
It's because of the dumb new eBay rules, the sellers get dinged if they pull an ad down and put it back up. So they increase the price to a level that no one will buy at, when they get stock back in they will readjust the price to a normal level.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Ah , I wondered why I saw a blackwing air filter going for $1500

on ebay
Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Can't they just put "OUT OF STOCK" ? Wonder what happens if someone actually does buy it for that price? Just doesn't seem like a good business practice to me. I wonder how many people don't know about the new rules on Ebay and just decide not to buy from that company, ever, do to the outrageous prices??? I would be concerned about reputation and negative word of mouth publicity.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

New pump to be deliveder today Can't wait to get my baby back on the road
Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Pump is installed and working great. No problem priming it at all, just filled the reservoir. Haven't driven it yet, I'll do that tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Need new coolant pump for Maggie

Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Well done bud , did you notice fluid movement in the reservoir ?

Its just a good way to check the pump from time to time .

Drive that car mate

Mine is off to the tuner today should be all sorted by the time i get back from holiday .

Only been 1 1/2 years doing the motor and blower

And it drives crap at the moment with the base tune

Have a good weekend mate
Old 08-02-2014, 05:58 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

so yours is finally getting on the road?! nice - can't wait to see results!

and i'm also glad you got the pump sorted out. gonna go check mine now.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Yes, I could see it flowing into the reservior from the blower. Good luck with your tune, hope it is the beast you're looking for when you get back. Enjoy your holiday Nitro, and if you find yourself around the Stuart area P.M. me, would love to buy you a beer and chat.

Thanks zebra, drove it into work tonight, it ran great. I missed it, two weeks without it sucked! I found a new pump on Ebay for $93 and I also picked up a used one for $44 off there. I got the used one first so I put it in. If I can find the brushes I will be able to fix the original pump too. Hoping my track times will improve now that I have good flow to the blower.

Pump was on the right side of the car, in the bumper. Pretty easy to get at once you take the plastic cover piece off and remove the horns. I work slow compaired to some, and I had it all back together and filled in under an hour. Guess I shold be thanking the installer as I would never have known the pump was shot if I hadn't seen the suction hose kinked. I will be checking for flow in the reservior frequently now.

Last edited by Lt. Dan M.; 08-02-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Need new coolant pump for Maggie