C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 PM
dblack
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I would define the sweet spot of a centri blown LSx to be 2000-3500 rpm.

Also, if you are going to go WOT on any if these setups, the amount of time you will be in that RPM range will be minuscule.

I know in my HCI LQ4, it's not even worth thinking about. I imagine once the blower is on it will be an even shorter amount of time.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 PM
dblack
Racer

Originally Posted by doug_dayson
Possibly as I could go N/A for less money and reliability issues etc? Also, I'm curious now LOL!
I really doubt that you could make the power of a base blower kit in NA trim for the same type of money.

Even if you could, the blower is a smaller pulley and meth away from a blowing the doors off any NA build in the same price range.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure we'll find that meaningful increases will occur no earlier than 3K - 3.5K rpm as you'd need to go PD to get anything lower than that.

The centri exception to that rule seems to be the new variable-ratio-transmission driven i-1 Procharger which appears to be a game changer, though it'll likely never be certified for C5's in CA (plus it likely weighs a bunch too?).

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
And if you were gonna spend 5-6,000 on a system and one was able to provide 50 or so more torque right in the sweet spot of around 2000-3500rpms then yeah, a smart decision would be to ask plenty of questions before you bought it and make sure the system is right for you.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:32 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought you CA boys need a Carb Cert supercharger kit?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Yep, sucks it does!

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
I thought you CA boys need a Carb Cert supercharger kit?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

For dblack, you will need to read the entire thread or at least the very first post to understand where Iam coming from. We all know that centi units love to take their time to spool up and not make any real seat of the pants feel until around 4000 rpm. This discussion was based around ecs blower setups being able to dip lower into the street "seat of the pants torque down low" feel that the pd style blower set ups seem to have over the centri units.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Yep, sucks it does!
I believe you only have 1 centi option, no?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:51 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm pretty sure we'll find that meaningful increases will occur no earlier than 3K - 3.5K rpm as you'd need to go PD to get anything lower than that.

The centri exception to that rule seems to be the new variable-ratio-transmission driven i-1 Procharger which appears to be a game changer, though it'll likely never be certified for C5's in CA (plus it likely weighs a bunch too?).
True but keep in mind...Iam not from ca.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 PM
dblack
Racer

For dblack, you will need to read the entire thread or at least the very first post to understand where Iam coming from. We all know that centi units love to take their time to spool up and not make any real seat of the pants feel until around 4000 rpm. This discussion was based around ecs blower setups being able to dip lower into the street "seat of the pants torque down low" feel that the pd style blower set ups seem to have over the centri units.
I've read it all, but I just think you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

True but keep in mind...Iam not from ca.
I didn't think this thread was about you anymore
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

As was stated ealier in the thread I'm not looking for max output, just 425 whp or so with a nice midrange boost on 6- 7 psi max (stock LS1 in a stock drivetrained 2K FRC).

I can get close to 400 whp N/A smog legally without destroying drivability and economy (no LT Headers in CA so that's a big limitation, plus a mild 218 @ .050 or so cam so economy isn't killed etc, plus heads and intake etc).

I don't want to kill my low mile stock clutch so l'm not interested in the normal 500+ whp tunes (this is a 100% street car that is used for long trips a lot so reliability and economy are key!).

Originally Posted by dblack
I really doubt that you could make the power of a base blower kit in NA trim for the same type of money.

Even if you could, the blower is a smaller pulley and meth away from a blowing the doors off any NA build in the same price range.

Last edited by doug_dayson; 08-01-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't think this thread was about you anymore
And what gave you that idea?

Myself and the other dude are after the same thing only I have to agree with you that he really now has one option for a centrifugal and that's a@a. Anything else won't pass and is illegal for him in ca. As for myself...maybe Iam making a mountain out of a mole hill. Iam merely going off the facts that ecs claimed their restrictor plate design could and would generate more torque down low by spinning the unit quicker with a smaller pulley and then use the restrictor plate to keep the boost to reasonable levels for a stock or bolt on type of application. Sounds all great in theory just need to find someone with a setup to back it up. If it were only like 20-30 extra torque I would say hmmm ok....but when we're are talking 40-50 sounds significant enough to me to want to research it more. Oh and also add to that, ua/v a very respectable vendor on here and no it wasn't ecs, highly recommended the ecs for me wanting more torque down low...well that's what started it all. Guess I was just hoping to have more people with those types of setups to chime in, instead of it turning into a debate. Oh well.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-01-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Yes, A@A or ATI only for me in CA for legal centri's, though hopefully I can sneak a smaller pulley and restrictor plate past a lazy smog guy?

And what gave you that idea?

Myself and the other dude are after the same thing only I have to agree with you that he really now has one option for a centrifugal and that's a@a. Anything else won't pass and is illegal for him in ca. As for myself...maybe Iam making a mountain out of a mole hill. Iam merely going off the facts that ecs claimed their restrictor plate design could and would generate more torque down low by spinning the unit quicker with a smaller pulley and then use the restrictor plate to keep the boost to reasonable levels for a stock or bolt on type of application. Sounds all great in theory just need to find someone with a setup to back it up. If it were only like 20-30 extra torque I would say hmmm ok....but when we're are talking 40-50 sounds significant enough to me to want to research it more.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

10 bucks says neither of you guys buy a supercharger
Old 08-01-2014, 11:59 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

i don't know... XtremeVette might change his mind after driving my car - and it ain't even much.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:30 AM
doug_dayson
Racer

That's possible in my case since nobody seems to want to show me that I'll get any midrange improvement over N/A at my desired power level?

If I can't get any midrange improvement at my desired power level with a restricted centri I'll go N/A as it's cheaper and more reliable.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:05 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by _zebra
i don't know... XtremeVette might change his mind after driving my car - and it ain't even much.
Looking forward to it.

Get notified of new replies

To How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you called ECS? Doug might provide more info directly rather than posting.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Why? Are you agreeing that for street driving and not going all out ***** to the walls wot...that until you hit around 4,000rpm your not going to feel much difference over a lightly modified bolts ons type of car such as mine with a basic centrifugal package added on? I know you're a quarter mile guy and that's your cup of tea which is cool and all...just not my cup of tea. Iam after more torque and horsepower with an increase throughout the entire power band that you can feel and don't need to be at wot or high in the power band range. I'll chime back in more once a get some more rides in centrifugal add on cars and after I go for a ride in zebras pd car...really looking forward to that.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-02-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Have you called ECS? Doug might provide more info directly rather than posting.

True I'll be talking to a few vendors after a go for rides. I don't want to waste anybody's time yet. Money is already saved up, just want to determined for me what I'll be happy with the most. I know that it's better the seriously plan this out instead of buying something and then having to redo it because Iam not satisfied.

Quick Reply: How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?