C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issue with flip drive power steering hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 AM
96TTdodge
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default issue with flip drive power steering hose

Has anybody else had an issue with their hose not being "clocked" correctly? I've screwed around with this thing for hours now and quite frankly, I'm very ticked off at this point. I paid $700+ for this system and there is absolutely no way the hose will connect. I've routed it every way imaginable, under the steering shaft, over the steering shaft, turned it around 7 times, twisted it till my hands bled, and even dropped to my knees and begged it to go on. - Its a no go.
I called Cartek about a month ago when I first suspected it wasn't going to fit and they assured me I just wasn't doing it right.
Am I the only person that wonders why the fittings are swivel style? I could easily just make my own -6 braided line WITH SWIVELS and call it a day, but for over $700 this thing should bolt right up. Hell, the hose is one of the main components of the kit when you get right down to it.
What gives?

Last edited by 96TTdodge; 07-14-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

we recently had this issue on a customer's car where the line was clocked wrong. Bad thing is you don't want to just use regular braided line as it is not rated to the pressure a power steering system will see at full lock. Cartek was no help and basically we just ordered a new line from Dallas performance and it fit perfectly. Sorry you got shafted too, we messed w/ their line for awhile and finally just said f it, this thing is not going to fit.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have to position the first fitting correctly before you put the hose on.. it does fit.. and yes its a tight one.. but it does fit
Old 07-13-2014, 01:49 PM
96TTdodge
Pro

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
you have to position the first fitting correctly before you put the hose on.. it does fit.. and yes its a tight one.. but it does fit
i tried everything....trust me, its clocked wrong. I connected PS pump first, rack first, fitting facing the firewall, fitting facing the wheel - well etc. - it does't fit.

I did forget to mention that Cartek recommended I reclock the fittings if i needed to by using two wrenches. That just didn't sound reasonable to me because it doesn't seem like those fittings are meant to be spun after the hose is assembled??

Last edited by 96TTdodge; 07-14-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:31 PM
ironhorse583
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same issue..made my own out of SS hose and swivel fittings..if you worried about the pressure get the SS hose with the teflon in it. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...rentProductId=
Old 07-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Cartek sucks. There was an early flip drive on my car when I bought it. It was clearly designed by a retarded monkey. Dallas Performance got me the parts to sort it out.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TTdodge
i tried everything....trust me, its clocked wrong. I connect PS pump first, rack first, fitting facing the firewall, fitting facing the wheel - well etc. - it does't fit.

I did forget to mention that Cartek recommended I reclock the fittings if i needed to by using two wrenches. That just didn't sound reasonable to me because it doesn't seem like those fittings are meant to be spun after the hose is assembled??
Post a picture of the hose if you're able.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

^^^ this!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 AM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane1974
It was clearly designed by a retarded monkey.
Tons of things in the aftermarket are that way.
The only thing worse than some aftermarket products are their installation instructions.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK; I REALLY didn't want to hear this.
I have my car torn down now to install flip drive. It was supposed to be here Friday, so I could get it on during the weekend and the car would be ready for a road trip next weekend, but it wont be here until Tuesday best.
I don't have but a couple of hrs after work to wrench on this thing, so I REALLY don't need any issues like this.......
What exactly is the issue? Is it hitting something, is it too short??
Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Well; my kit arrived today and holy crap, this is a poorly designed mess. Wont get into everything, but of course there are no instructions, so that's the first issue
The hose WILL NOT GO ON!!!
I guess I will call Dallas performance tomorrow, but was planning on going to the beach this weekend in the car, but now that's not going to happen
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
Well; my kit arrived today and holy crap, this is a poorly designed mess. Wont get into everything, but of course there are no instructions, so that's the first issue
The hose WILL NOT GO ON!!!
I guess I will call Dallas performance tomorrow, but was planning on going to the beach this weekend in the car, but now that's not going to happen
I can send you pictures of it on the motor out of the car and talk you through it. PM me your number if you want. I took a lot of pictures of the motor accessories on my 402 when I yanked it for reference when I start putting it back together friday. I have them on my phone. Hang in there man!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Would love to see your pics, Shane. I'm fixin' to install one of these as well and DP has not responded to my email about their hose.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shane1974
I can send you pictures of it on the motor out of the car and talk you through it. PM me your number if you want. I took a lot of pictures of the motor accessories on my 402 when I yanked it for reference when I start putting it back together friday. I have them on my phone. Hang in there man!
Thanks Shane
I have the pump end on, and have it at the perfect angle for clearance. The hose is run under the steering shaft, and the end, when put into position to screw on, is facing STRAIGHT UP!. (It needs to be straight down) I have tried, but it will not "turn" more than about a 1/4 turn or less (90*)
If it was a swivel fitting, or was installed 180*, it should screw right on.
Sending my #
Thanks
Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 AM
96TTdodge
Pro

Sorry for not replying sooner guys. I've been traveling all week and I'm not at home (where the car is). To update everybody, I spoke to ECS (who I bought the kit from) and spoke with their tech yesterday. Basically, he informed me that everyone of these hoses in made wrong and they have been manually "re-clocking" the fittings each time.

Just like BlowTorch said above, they are all off 180 degrees...which is exactly what the tech at ECS said. ECS said they haven't had any issues with the fittings leaking after they have re-clocked them, but I'm fairly certain those crimp fitting hoses should NOT be spun once they're crimped. Why in the world this sub-par hose continues to be distributed with these kits is a question I'd love to hear the answer to. A swivel fitting on one end would resolve the issue, but most likely raise their production cost by $20 I kindly asked ECS to call Cartek and voice their concern about the hose considering they are a large vendor for them and install many of these kits on a routine basis. ECS did have intentions of calling Cartek after our phone conversation was over according to the tech.
So yea, as a recap:
-All the hoses are made wrong
-Distributors and Cartek are aware of the issue
-Nobody has done anything to resolve the issue at this point
-The kit is costly and is not a direct bolt on as advertised IMO

I will gladly take pics of the issue when I get home if none have been posted by then.
Good luck and have fun twisting your crimped fittings!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patches
Would love to see your pics, Shane. I'm fixin' to install one of these as well and DP has not responded to my email about their hose.

Pics sent to blow torch. PM me a number and I'll text them to you also
Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Sorry for not replying sooner guys. I've been traveling all week and I'm not at home (where the car is). To update everybody, I spoke to ECS (who I bought the kit from) and spoke with their tech yesterday. Basically, he informed me that everyone of these hoses in made wrong and they have been manually "re-clocking" the fittings each time.

Just like BlowTorch said above, they are all off 180 degrees...which is exactly what the tech at ECS said. ECS said they haven't had any issues with the fittings leaking after they have re-clocked them, but I'm fairly certain those crimp fitting hoses should NOT be spun once they're crimped. Why in the world this sub-par hose continues to be distributed with these kits is a question I'd love to hear the answer to. A swivel fitting on one end would resolve the issue, but most likely raise their production cost by $20 I kindly asked ECS to call Cartek and voice their concern about the hose considering they are a large vendor for them and install many of these kits on a routine basis. ECS did have intentions of calling Cartek after our phone conversation was over according to the tech.
So yea, as a recap:
-All the hoses are made wrong
-Distributors and Cartek are aware of the issue
-Nobody has done anything to resolve the issue at this point
-The kit is costly and is not a direct bolt on as advertised IMO

I will gladly take pics of the issue when I get home if none have been posted by then.
Good luck and have fun twisting your crimped fittings!
Stop buying from carcrap. Worst customer service on the planet.

Get notified of new replies

To issue with flip drive power steering hose

Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Pics sent to patches. Anyone else let me know. Sorry to the op for the thread hijack.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM
96TTdodge
Pro

shane, are your pics with the motor sitting on the rack and bolted down to the front cradle?..or just the motor on a stand?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

shane, are your pics with the motor sitting on the rack and bolted down to the front cradle?..or just the motor on a stand?
On the stand. I'm starting fresh from short block in the morning and doing it all again. Perfect time to ask me for a specific picture. Just picked up my 408 from the machine shop. It will take me a day to bolt everything on it and stab it.

Quick Reply: issue with flip drive power steering hose