C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Clutch Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Clutch Advice

I was driving home from work Thursday and, after pulling away from a stop sign, I got a little aggressive on the throttle. I shifted to second and again was heavy on the throttle when I noticed the rpm raise without the car pulling. clutch slip! The car has almost 40K miles on it and I had just taken it to the drags the Friday prior. I am right at 500 rwhp with a Maggie TVS2300 on an 02 Z06. I just put NT05s on the back because the Invos just wouldn't hold traction. I knew with going to the track and the way I drive, the stock clutch wouldn't hold up to long. I don't expect to go over 700 rwhp and may not go over 600. Considering head work and possibly a mild cam. I want a clutch that can handle launching at the strip and will drive as close to factory as possible. This is often my DD so it needs to be very streetable. Looking for advice, Thanks.

Last edited by Lt. Dan M.; 07-04-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan M.
I was driving home from work Thursday and, after pulling away from a stop sign, I got a little aggressive on the throttle. I shifted to second and again was heavy on the throttle when I noticed the rpm raise without the car pulling. clutch slip! The car has almost 40K miles on it and I had just taken it to the drags the Friday prior. I am right at 500 rwhp with a Maggie TVS2300 on an 02 Z06. I just put NT05s on the back because the Invos just wouldn't hold traction. I knew with going to the track and the way I drive, the stock clutch wouldn't hold up to long. I don't expect to go over 700 rwhp and may not go over 600. Considering head work and possibly a mild cam. I want a clutch that can handle launching at the strip and will drive as close to factory as possible. This is often my DD so it needs to be very streetable. Looking for advice, Thanks.
I've seen almost every clutch available act up.
If you try to 60' on the clutch, the only thing I've seen put up with it without burning up or transferring material to the to the smooth surfaces is the billet carbon from RPS, but they get real grabby when they get hot.
If you don't ride the clutch hard on launches, even on the street, there are many that will do and I'm sure you're about to get the list.
Centerforce DYAD, McLeod RXT, Mantic 9000 etc. etc....
Old 07-17-2014, 05:10 PM
nutbuster
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default mantic 9000 twin

I just had a Mantic 9000 installed in my 2002 Z06 with 700 rwhp. I haven't really been able to run it up to see how it works yet due to still breaking it in. But the clutch pedal pressure feels great and it seems like it will cure all my problems (I HOPE) Will let you know in about 300 miles.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:49 PM
96TTdodge
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

rst or rxt- cheap and will get the job done no problem
Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a monster stage 5. Does not have the greatest street manners, but it has serious grab. Takes a bit to get used to driving with it. It will always have a slight chatter and comes on like a light switch. I know they make a twin disk that is supposed to do as well with much better street manners. I would give them a call. They know their stuff.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you sure it isnt tire slip? Do you smell clutch burning hot metal?
To me clutch slippage has always been more apparant in higher gears and full throttle.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
Are you sure it isnt tire slip? Do you smell clutch burning hot metal?
To me clutch slippage has always been more apparant in higher gears and full throttle.

Try flooring it @ 2000-2500 rpm in 4th,
That's a good test.
I have had good luck with monster clutches,
Both single and twin disc .
Old 07-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry

That's a good test.
Didn't smell any clutch burning, but I didn't stay on the throttle when I felt the slip. I am beginning to question exactly what I experianced but, I am pretty sure the RPM went up and the MPH didn't, which tells me it was clutch. I have been pretty easy on it since then. My other DD is an 88 300ZX turbo that is down at present so, I can't afford to lose my clutch till the ZX is back on the road. I will try the 4th gear test though. Thinking I will go with a twin disc when the time is right. I don't slip the clutch much at all, even launching I pretty much just dump it around 3K rpm. I have only been to the track twice and have not run a good time yet mostly do to my lack of launch experiance. 12.4 @ 118mph was best time, last time I went. Thinking that run should have been mid to high 11s if I had a good launch. Stuck the clutch peddle to the floor during burnout the first time at the track and been leary ever since... Thanks to all for your replies.

Last edited by Lt. Dan M.; 07-18-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:32 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I would recommend the Monster LT1-S rated at 700 RWHP and will drive like a stock clutch. Feel free to give us a call (817-750-2000) or shoot me a PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Even if it is slipping under load, if you're stuck for cash, you could easily drive it for another 100k as long as you drive sensibly and dont load it up.

If you're heavy with the right foot and push the car...then yes you'll need it replaced sooner rather than later.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 PM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll back Monster 100%.

I had a stage 2 single disc in my 460/420 FBody and beat the ever living SNOT out of that clutch, and it never gave a single inch.

Car was parted out a year later and you could still read the ink on the friction disc.

Seriously, the customer service at Monster is awesome. Get one, and you'll see what I mean.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry

That's a good test.
So, I did the flooring it from 2500 rpm in 4th and the clutch seemed to hold fine, lots of engine knock though I will stop driving like grandma and see what happens, don't know what else I can do. Maybe it was tire slip, but it didn't feel like tire slip at the time. A buddy of mine was behind me the other day going to work and told me I scared some (very slow) old person when the backend got loose as I was passing them. I didn't know the backend got loose. I was passing and just hit the throttle in second while going around them. Figured they must be sleeping and the B&B Bullets would wake them up I didn't realize I hit it hard enough to break it loose, maybe my clutch is in better shape than I think???
Old 07-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I did the flooring it from 2500 rpm in 4th and the clutch seemed to hold fine, lots of engine knock though I will stop driving like grandma and see what happens, don't know what else I can do. Maybe it was tire slip, but it didn't feel like tire slip at the time. A buddy of mine was behind me the other day going to work and told me I scared some (very slow) old person when the backend got loose as I was passing them. I didn't know the backend got loose. I was passing and just hit the throttle in second while going around them. Figured they must be sleeping and the B&B Bullets would wake them up I didn't realize I hit it hard enough to break it loose, maybe my clutch is in better shape than I think???
Well, you said you did stick the pedal to the floor at one point. Do yourself a favor and flush that fluid.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shane1974
Well, you said you did stick the pedal to the floor at one point. Do yourself a favor and flush that fluid.
I will put a bleeder in when I finally do a clutch, until then, I drain the resivore, clean it as best I can and replace with new fluid, everytime it looks like it is getting dirty. The first time I did that it stayed clear for a very long time, but now I am doing it about once a week. That has to mean something

Get notified of new replies

To Need Clutch Advice

Quick Reply: Need Clutch Advice