C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DeWitts SPAL Fans ??????

Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default DeWitts SPAL Fans ??????

Here is my issue, I need something that will get the heat down. In winter it is no problem at all, in summer it is a real problem here in Texas and running the AC. My set up is very tight, I have the A&A Vortech V3 SI Supercharger. The inter-cooler sits up front, behind it is the trans cooler, behind it is the ac condenser and the finally the Dewitts Radiator and the GM OE factory fans. I have the DeWitts cut down version radiator that allows for the SuperCharger duct work to cross over the top but I don't have the SPAL fans. I also have an electric water pump in an effort to bring the heat down, so far nothing has worked. SPAL fans are my next move but haven't seen much posting about how much difference this makes, ie before and after fan install. My biggest problem is what all the air has to pass through before reaching the radiator and my car is very low to the ground.
Any help or positive suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Spal fan setup is the best setup for our vettes available. You need a regular water pump so that your cooling at speed is handled. The EWP is good for being stopped in traffic, but terrible for driving. There's a reason people who road race don't use them. Now drag racers who are looking for a little extra power- that's where the EWP comes to play.

General Rule of thumb is:

if your car is hot when you're driving, you need more radiator.

If your car is hot while sitting at a light or in traffic you need more fan.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Brilliant deduction Watson.... I could not have said it better myself.
I can attest and relate as I run the Dewitts and the Spal fan set up in my car... LS7 water pump w 160 tstat... My car has yet to exceed 200deg even with AC on.... Typically, 187-198 deg...

Originally Posted by 427ZM
The Spal fan setup is the best setup for our vettes available. You need a regular water pump so that your cooling at speed is handled. The EWP is good for being stopped in traffic, but terrible for driving. There's a reason people who road race don't use them. Now drag racers who are looking for a little extra power- that's where the EWP comes to play.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Captain Tom
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a dual core Dewitt and the Spal fans but I am still running hot. I live in Arizona and it was 106 yesterday. Temps went up to 240. I'm beginning to wonder if my fans are switching on.........
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

As you and Matt both know, I have the largest radiator Dewitts makes for our cars, so I can't get more radiator. When I'm driving with AC on in 90 deg temps it runs about 217 to 221, if I put my foot into the SC it will jump of course to 225 to 235 with , A/C off moving down the hwy it will run in the 207 range and jump to 219 playing on the hwy. Idling the temps will drop to upper 190s unless I turn AC on and then it will climb to 214. Like i said , in cool weather no issues,, thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Brilliant deduction Watson.... I could not have said it better myself.
I can attest and relate as I run the Dewitts and the Spal fan set up in my car... LS7 water pump w 160 tstat... My car has yet to exceed 200deg even with AC on.... Typically, 187-198 deg...
But yours nor JPs is FI, I guess I will try the SPAL fans ,,Thanks for your feedback

Originally Posted by Captain Tom
I just installed a dual core Dewitt and the Spal fans but I am still running hot. I live in Arizona and it was 106 yesterday. Temps went up to 240. I'm beginning to wonder if my fans are switching on.........
Tom, that is what concerns me, I'm already getting hot in the 90s and it wont be long before the temps here in Texas are hitting in the 100s I think a lot of the problem is the location of the inter-cooler but not sure where else this could be placed. Now, Pewter 99 changed his, he laid the inter-cooler down flat behind the license plate area and cut that license plate area open, he says that helped a lot.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Wow.... Not good my friend... Have you had your car re tuned to turn on fans early? Relay issue perhaps? Check your connections... That is NOT a good thing...

Originally Posted by Captain Tom
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Captain Tom
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan control kit

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Wow.... Not good my friend... Have you had your car re tuned to turn on fans early? Relay issue perhaps? Check your connections... That is NOT a good thing...
I've seen a kit that enables you to manually or automatically control the fans..I think that's my next step
Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 AM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
As you and Matt both know, I have the largest radiator Dewitts makes for our cars, so I can't get more radiator. When I'm driving with AC on in 90 deg temps it runs about 217 to 221, if I put my foot into the SC it will jump of course to 225 to 235 with , A/C off moving down the hwy it will run in the 207 range and jump to 219 playing on the hwy. Idling the temps will drop to upper 190s unless I turn AC on and then it will climb to 214. Like i said , in cool weather no issues,, thanks for the feedback.

But yours nor JPs is FI, I guess I will try the SPAL fans ,,Thanks for your feedback

Tom, that is what concerns me, I'm already getting hot in the 90s and it wont be long before the temps here in Texas are hitting in the 100s I think a lot of the problem is the location of the inter-cooler but not sure where else this could be placed. Now, Pewter 99 changed his, he laid the inter-cooler down flat behind the license plate area and cut that license plate area open, he says that helped a lot.
You are being the raised temps while driving due to the EWP not keeping up. It's not the lack of radiator. Now, you have combated the issue at stop lights w/ the EWP, but a more effective solution would be the stock GM water pump with a 160* t-stat and Spal fans. The fans will keep it cool at lights, and the water pump will keep up at speed on the highway.

FI or not, power is power and cooling is needed for either. I would not discredit the information due to the lack of FI from myself or Matt. We are only trying to help here. Evan just went FI and added the Dewitt's and kept the stock fans and water pump. His car runs cools and stays cool.

Factory water pump with the Spal's gets you covered.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,178 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Lee, I've got the cut-down Dewitts (with integrated EOC) with stock fans on my GS with the V3Si. Temps have been at or lower than when it was stock. Yes, I know it's a front breather, but I'm surprised you're still having issues. I'm a little surprised that when you bought the Dewitts that they didn't recommend you go with the unit that has the integrated tranny cooler. I did a lot of research when looking at a blower, and everyone I talked to said 4 items to get air through was 1 too many. This was one of the reasons I ended up going with the A&A versus the ECS, as I did not want any cooling issues being in Dallas.

I know you probably don't want to swap over to the Dewitts within integrated tranny cooler after already buying the regular one, but could you figure out a way to pull the tranny cooler and replace it with a different unit that doesn't sit in the intercooler/condenser/radiator assembly? Maybe mount it behind the fog light openings or do a screen on the front plate area and mount it behind that?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Problem is that BS electric water pump, never should have been put on a street car.
I just bought a dewitts and a new mechanical water pump for my new combo. Once the spray is on, I'm coming for EVERYONE.

<--------- Look, leave town now and save yourselves.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:18 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is my issue, I need something that will get the heat down. In winter it is no problem at all, in summer it is a real problem here in Texas and running the AC. My set up is very tight, I have the A&A Vortech V3 SI Supercharger. The inter-cooler sits up front, behind it is the trans cooler, behind it is the ac condenser and the finally the Dewitts Radiator and the GM OE factory fans. I have the DeWitts cut down version radiator that allows for the SuperCharger duct work to cross over the top but I don't have the SPAL fans. I also have an electric water pump in an effort to bring the heat down, so far nothing has worked. SPAL fans are my next move but haven't seen much posting about how much difference this makes, ie before and after fan install. My biggest problem is what all the air has to pass through before reaching the radiator and my car is very low to the ground.
Did you contact the tuner that told you to put the EWP on your car? Maybe he can help you out...
Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Anybody ever look into these water pumps...supposed to flow much more than stock

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/...duct_info.html
Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by c5mtl
Anybody ever look into these water pumps...supposed to flow much more than stock

I looked at those and was told that there's a finite line between moving enough coolant to cool and moving too much/moving it too fast that it doesn't stay un the radiator long enough to cool down before its back in the engine.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Did you contact the tuner that told you to put the EWP on your car? Maybe he can help you out...
If thats the guy (josh iirc) that suggested/put the ewp on in the 1st place, I'd probably look elsewhere for advice considering where he's at now.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

You are being the raised temps while driving due to the EWP not keeping up. It's not the lack of radiator. Now, you have combated the issue at stop lights w/ the EWP, but a more effective solution would be the stock GM water pump with a 160* t-stat and Spal fans. The fans will keep it cool at lights, and the water pump will keep up at speed on the highway.

FI or not, power is power and cooling is needed for either. I would not discredit the information due to the lack of FI from myself or Matt. We are only trying to help here. Evan just went FI and added the Dewitt's and kept the stock fans and water pump. His car runs cools and stays cool.

Factory water pump with the Spal's gets you covered.
Was not discrediting you or Matt, was basically stating mine is FI and a lot more heat is being generated, thanks for the response

Originally Posted by Evan70
Lee, I've got the cut-down Dewitts (with integrated EOC) with stock fans on my GS with the V3Si. Temps have been at or lower than when it was stock. Yes, I know it's a front breather, but I'm surprised you're still having issues. I'm a little surprised that when you bought the Dewitts that they didn't recommend you go with the unit that has the integrated tranny cooler. I did a lot of research when looking at a blower, and everyone I talked to said 4 items to get air through was 1 too many. This was one of the reasons I ended up going with the A&A versus the ECS, as I did not want any cooling issues being in Dallas.

I know you probably don't want to swap over to the Dewitts within integrated tranny cooler after already buying the regular one, but could you figure out a way to pull the tranny cooler and replace it with a different unit that doesn't sit in the intercooler/condenser/radiator assembly? Maybe mount it behind the fog light openings or do a screen on the front plate area and mount it behind that?
Hey Evan, I have the Dewitts with the integrated Tranny cooler, it is capped off since I had the external Tranny Cooler. Perhaps with taking the external off the front of the condenser and replumbing to the Dewitts that just might help, however the external keeps the Tranny running really cool ( which is probably why it has held up so far) so I'm concerned that I might eliminate engine heat issue and create a tranny issue if it doesn't keep the tranny as cool

, Yep, he was puzzled too

Originally Posted by c5mtl

Probably better for drag racing like JP mentioned and not street running. Mine will cool good at idle but when moving on Hwy, temps climb, hence water not staying in radiator long enough to cool I guess. When temps outside are 80 and below I have no issues 80 and above is where it begins to creep up on my temp gauge, once over 90 is where the big issue starts coming into play.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

, Yep, he was puzzled too

What did your new Tuner, John say about your over heating problem and the electric water pump? Maybe you should just drive your Cadillac during the summer!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,178 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Hey Evan, I have the Dewitts with the integrated Tranny cooler, it is capped off since I had the external Tranny Cooler. Perhaps with taking the external off the front of the condenser and replumbing to the Dewitts that just might help, however the external keeps the Tranny running really cool ( which is probably why it has held up so far) so I'm concerned that I might eliminate engine heat issue and create a tranny issue if it doesn't keep the tranny as cool
The integrated oil cooler on my Dewitts has been as/more effective than the stock oil cooler. Considering the stock oil cooler on the GS is pretty big and is the very first cooler in stock configuration, while the integrated unit in the radiator is the last, I would not be concerned about using the tranny cooler in the Dewitts and getting rid of the external tranny cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To DeWitts SPAL Fans ??????

Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

What did your new Tuner, John say about your over heating problem and the electric water pump? Maybe you should just drive your Cadillac during the summer!
Hadn't got into a deep discussion with Matt or John yet. On my agenda to see their thoughts . as for the Caddy, Maybe so Joe
Old 07-02-2014, 03:15 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I'm sorry I can't help you with your cooling issues, but your setup sounds pretty badass. You got any pics? dyno sheets? more details of your build?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Dirty Harry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Evan70
The integrated oil cooler on my Dewitts has been as/more effective than the stock oil cooler. Considering the stock oil cooler on the GS is pretty big and is the very first cooler in stock configuration, while the integrated unit in the radiator is the last, I would not be concerned about using the tranny cooler in the Dewitts and getting rid of the external tranny cooler.
Thanks Evan, it may be my next step. My biggest issue is summertime temps, had no problem before temps hit 85 outside

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DeWitts SPAL Fans ??????