C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A V3 Si Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 AM
jmxp69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ascastil
Got the car back today. MAF tune, no boost gauge. My car with a V2 SI, 1 3/4 long tubes, catless xpipe and straight pipes made 488/464!! Was expecting some valve float on the old stock springs but they held up fine.

Joe is gonna email me the dyno sheet and video. Im pretty excited.
Outstanding! That's very much in-line with expectations. Gotta get that boost gauge and see what's going on. I bet you can go down 1/10th on the pulley to push you over 500.

PS Did he tell you how much timing?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Im on 8lbs with 15* of timing. I could have went further but I was already making 620 wheel which is enough for me anyway. We also have 93 octane here. Get your Cat issue figured out and that will give you a major power upgrade. Thats a major jam in airflow. That and give that thing some more timing! Meth as someone mentioned probably isnt a bad idea since you live in such a high temp climate.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 AM
jmxp69
Racer

Originally Posted by Mallett Z
Im on 8lbs with 15* of timing. I could have went further but I was already making 620 wheel which is enough for me anyway. We also have 93 octane here. Get your Cat issue figured out and that will give you a major power upgrade. Thats a major jam in airflow. That and give that thing some more timing! Meth as someone mentioned probably isnt a bad idea since you live in such a high temp climate.
Headers/x-pipe/McLeod RXT/3.48 (down from 3.6") pulley all set for Monday after next. I'll try to make it over to the dyno and see what happens. I won't be able to add more timing unless I schedule another tune session. He told me I have head-room in the MAF table for the smaller pulley and headers though. Maybe after cam/heads.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few things:

1.) Cool build and thanks for sharing

2.) I would say you are about 75-100rwhp short of what I would have expected

3.) Like everyone said, you need exhaust, valve springs, and it would likely stand to benefit from a few more degrees of timing. I'd avoid changing pulleys for now until you confirm the problem.

4.) Negotiate another tune at a major discount.

5.) Report back :-)

Subscribing... Also, I may have missed it but what size injectors you running?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Originally Posted by luke87gt
Few things:

1.) Cool build and thanks for sharing

2.) I would say you are about 75-100rwhp short of what I would have expected

3.) Like everyone said, you need exhaust, valve springs, and it would likely stand to benefit from a few more degrees of timing. I'd avoid changing pulleys for now until you confirm the problem.

4.) Negotiate another tune at a major discount.

5.) Report back :-)

Subscribing... Also, I may have missed it but what size injectors you running?
The tuner said I have enough head room in the MAF table to not require another tune after fixing the exhaust. Also seems widely agreed that adding headers/x-pipe will reduce boost, so going down 1/10th is just to keep boost where it is now. I'll see what happens at the dyno after the changes are made and decide where to go from there. Springs are a shortlist item for sure.

Injectors are 60# from A&A kit.

Last edited by jmxp69; 06-24-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 AM
jmxp69
Racer

Getting lots of recommendations for springs, so I'm ready to get a set. I'm thinking of the A&A Stage 1 Cam: 220/228 .581/.588 .050 116

Any dual spring recommendations that will work with the stock cam and these cam specs or should I just wait until I get the new cam?
Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
jmxp69
Racer

I updated my mod thread but forgot to update this one.

Headers/x-pipe added and only 10hp gain at peak, but gains of ~35hp/35tq under the curve. So 460/435 now. Getting a little annoyed.

Cam/springs/chain/pushrods/trunion upgrade ordered, more to come...
Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by jmxp69
I updated my mod thread but forgot to update this one.

Headers/x-pipe added and only 10hp gain at peak, but gains of ~35hp/35tq under the curve. So 460/435 now. Getting a little annoyed.

Cam/springs/chain/pushrods/trunion upgrade ordered, more to come...
Iam watching your other thread close....its weird...A&A say 500-530rwhp with no other mods? Why are you so far off? I know heat can play a factor but your off by like 80 hp and thats with headers? Have you called A&A for any ideas? Something seems a miss.

I have been seriously looking and contemplating getting this kit, but i'll be honest I would be very upset with those type of numbers. My mods are in my signature. My car has 92,000 on it but I still would have to see 500 rwhp for me to feel I justified spending $$$$ putting on a supercharger.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 07-17-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM
jmxp69
Racer

I have a couple of thoughts on this:

1) It is a system after all, so while I've done the work to stuff air in, and let it out, I apparently haven't done enough to let it flow internally (cam/heads).

2) Timing: 10* isn't enough. Personally I think that's where [most of] the problem is. There are tons of threads out there with folks running 15+. After the cam, I'm buying HPTuners and I'm going to start data logging to see what's going on with KR.

3) Something is going on at the top of my dyno chart. There's a falloff just north of 5k rpm and I don't know what's causing it (another reason I want to start logging). Could be valve float, could be belt slip…just don't know. I don't believe it's pulling timing because I believe when that happens, it won't resume making power like it does. I have a feeling if I can sort out that dip, I would be on a better trajectory to the goal. I had a long discussion with one of our local fast guys about this.

4) Heat/compression: Those dyno pulls happened after a 45 minute drive to the dyno. We strapped it down and started the session with no break and it was 105* plus outside on 91 octane. For locals, this is not an unusual outcome and they all say, "go back in December and see what it does". This pattern has been repeated on other cars.

5) The headers weren't a total wash. I see +35hp/35tq below the curve. The reality is, those are solid gains albeit we didn't see big peak gains that would have put me on par with similar builds which leads me to believe the problem lies elsewhere.

6) I really need to dig in to AFR. I see LOTS of opinions here. Some tune boosted cars for high 10's on dyno, some mid 11's, some say mid 12's are fine. I haven't formed enough of an opinion to decide where to go with this, but I'm high 11's. Lean is mean, so there may be more power by manipulating AFR but given our crappy gas and heat, it might be wise to stay close to 11. This one is relatively low on the list.

I'm spending quite a bit of time researching head options. I'm thinking PP 241's or moving to PP 317 (LQ9) to get the CR a little lower which may allow more timing and more boost.

I've consulted with Josh every step of the way, he's always been very engaging and helpful.

Edit: Peak is 460rwhp right now, so more like 40-60hp gap than 80. Factoring our crappy gas, heat, no meth, I'm willing to accept a hit but would have expected something closer to 480.

I know without the logs, it's hard to analyze this, but I am curious to know if anybody has any thoughts on what's going with the consistency of power development after 5.5k on the red graph. Blue graph was pre-header. Three runs with headers and they all exhibit similar characteristics--the big dip at 5.1k is gone.

Last edited by jmxp69; 07-17-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

1) It is a system after all, so while I've done the work to stuff air in, and let it out, I apparently haven't done enough to let it flow internally (cam/heads).

2) Timing: 10* isn't enough. Personally I think that's where [most of] the problem is. There are tons of threads out there with folks running 15+. After the cam, I'm buying HPTuners and I'm going to start data logging to see what's going on with KR.

3) Something is going on at the top of my dyno chart. There's a falloff just north of 5k rpm and I don't know what's causing it (another reason I want to start logging). Could be valve float, could be belt slip…just don't know. I don't believe it's pulling timing because I believe when that happens, it won't resume making power like it does. I have a feeling if I can sort out that dip, I would be on a better trajectory to the goal. I had a long discussion with one of our local fast guys about this.

4) Heat/compression: Those dyno pulls happened after a 45 minute drive to the dyno. We strapped it down and started the session with no break and it was 105* plus outside on 91 octane. For locals, this is not an unusual outcome and they all say, "go back in December and see what it does". This pattern has been repeated on other cars.

5) The headers weren't a total wash. I see +35hp/35tq below the curve. The reality is, those are solid gains albeit we didn't see big peak gains that would have put me on par with similar builds which leads me to believe the problem lies elsewhere.

6) I really need to dig in to AFR. I see LOTS of opinions here. Some tune boosted cars for high 10's on dyno, some mid 11's, some say mid 12's are fine. I haven't formed enough of an opinion to decide where to go with this, but I'm high 11's. Lean is mean, so there may be more power by manipulating AFR but given our crappy gas and heat, it might be wise to stay close to 11. This one is relatively low on the list.

I'm spending quite a bit of time researching head options. I'm thinking PP 241's or moving to PP 317 (LQ9) to get the CR a little lower which may allow more timing and more boost.

I've consulted with Josh every step of the way, he's always been very engaging and helpful.

Edit: Peak is 460rwhp right now, so more like 40-60hp gap than 80. Factoring our crappy gas, heat, no meth, I'm willing to accept a hit but would have expected something closer to 480.

I know without the logs, it's hard to analyze this, but I am curious to know if anybody has any thoughts on what's going with the consistency of power development after 5.5k on the red graph. Blue graph was pre-header. Three runs with headers and they all exhibit similar characteristics--the big dip at 5.1k is gone.
Well Iam no expert but really surprised that others haven't chimed in on this...especially A&A. Going by your chart there...your right...you have a huge fallout after 5000rpms. You can clearly see the drop. I dunno...belt slip? fuel starvation? something wrong in the tune on in that range where now your detonating? Again....iam by far NO MECHANIC or Mr Know-It-All, just a guy that reads a lot on this forum. Hopefully one of the pro's will chime in shortly. I for one would like to see your car be above the 500 mark where think we both agree it really should be, even in stock form with the addition of the charger.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Timing has a lot to do with it in my opinion. 10 is nothing for your set up.

My car loves 17 degrees under boost with 11.2 air fuel 93 pump gas 9 psi 3.85 pulley. Rest of mods in sig. Just make sure you at least have 60lb injectors and lpe pump and or boost a pump to support it.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 AM
jmxp69
Racer

I have the 60# injectors A&A supplies with their kit. Just ordered HPTuners and will be doing some logging after cam and conversion to SD tune. OAT was 110* when the blower tune was done. IAT can have a pretty significant impact on timing right?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:38 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Yea if it's hot it will pull timing. It's a noticeable difference
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Did a bunch of logging. On a very hot 115* day I saw 4*KR. Several additional WOT pulls at slightly lower OATs w no KR. So I definitely think the timing is at the edge of what can be accomplished with our lousy 91octane and high temps.

Decided to install Aklycontrol kit w cam/springs/pushrods/timing chain. More to follow.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Ive been looking at the Alkycontrol kit also. Are you installing it yourself? PM me if you do so I can take a peek or lend a hand to see if its something Id like to do or have someone do it for me.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Originally Posted by ascastil
Ive been looking at the Alkycontrol kit also. Are you installing it yourself? PM me if you do so I can take a peek or lend a hand to see if its something Id like to do or have someone do it for me.
Under any other circumstance, I would install it myself, but....the car will already be with Joe for cam, springs, pushrods, etc...afterwards it's going to Nic for 2bar SD/cam tune so it just didn't make sense to insert myself in the middle of it. Joe's also adding my WB so Nic has it for the SD tune.

It would have been a logistics mess to get in the middle of all of that. Plus I'm counting on Joe to help ensure everything works well together with this somewhat lengthy list of updates.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:50 PM
jmxp69
Racer

Hey guys,

Dropped the car off for the upgrades today. Looking for opinions on a topic that's been beat to death: 100% meth vs 50/50 meth/water. Before we get into religious beliefs, let me put some facts out related to my situation:

- v3SI with headers is set for 10* @ WOT due to 135*+ IATs and 91 octane. I've logged the car and I'm confident in the tuner. I believe he has it right.
- Stock heads/compression ratio. 3.48" pulley, ~10psi.
- HP suffers of course: 460whp/440tq, which is why I'm adding meth.
- Goal is 520-550whp. I don't really want more than that until I can harden some other components. So I'm NOT designing/configuring for max effort, just need to overcome IAT/91octane limits with boost.

Interested in opinions/facts. It is an Alkycontrol kit so 100% meth is an option.

100% meth or 50/50?

Last edited by jmxp69; 08-11-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A V3 Si Ordered

Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Hey guys,

Dropped the car off for the upgrades today. Looking for opinions on a topic that's been beat to death: 100% meth vs 50/50 meth/water. Before we get into religious beliefs, let me put some facts out related to my situation:

- v3SI with headers is set for 10* @ WOT due to 135*+ IATs and 91 octane. I've logged the car and I'm confident in the tuner. I believe he has it right.
- Stock heads/compression ratio. 3.48" pulley, ~10psi.
- HP suffers of course: 460whp/440tq, which is why I'm adding meth.
- Goal is 520-550whp. I don't really want more than that until I can harden some other components. So I'm NOT designing/configuring for max effort, just need to overcome IAT/91octane limits with boost.

Interested in opinions/facts. It is an Alkycontrol kit so 100% meth is an option.

100% meth or 50/50?

Im not real familiar with meth but I think a 50/50 mixture or somewhere around there is a safer route to raise its flash point?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 AM
jmxp69
Racer

Originally Posted by Mallett Z
Im not real familiar with meth but I think a 50/50 mixture or somewhere around there is a safer route to raise its flash point?
It is for sure. More of a secondary issue though.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

I tuned my car to be around 11.5 AFR from 2000-6800rpm. LS motors are known to go lean on cylinders 7 and 8. Something about the way the intake is made that rams more air down those 2 runners in the back.

Make sure you use 4.000" bore (6.0L) head gaskets if you go with the 317 heads.

Comments in red.

Quick Reply: A&A V3 Si Ordered