C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! suddenly running super rich?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HELP! suddenly running super rich?

Here is what Happen:

I was leaving work coasting around a roundabout when the fuel pressure gauge went red and fuel pressure dropped to 20 PSI. I coasted into a parking lot shut the car off and discovered the quick disconnect fitting was bad and would slide on and off with ease. I bent the internal metal prongs in the fitting pushed it together and drove it 15 miles to get a new fitting. The entire 15 mile drive the car was running super rich, I'm talking 9.5 to no higher than 11.5 a/f the entire drive to the performance shop. I get to the shop and install a new fitting everything is good no fuel leaks. The entire drive home it sat at around 9.5 - 10.5 a/f. I got home, double checked everything, unplugged the battery for 30 min. Plugged it back in, took it for a drive, same thing, now at idle it sits right at 12.3 - 12.7 a/f instead of the normal 14.7 - 15.0 it would sit at before. Also before this happen when cruising, 6th gear highway speed it would bounce from 14.5 to 14.9, now it wont go any higher than around 11.8 at highway speeds.

I've checked the fuel pressure regulator, all is well.

Car:

408 stroker
D1SC
A&A fuel system

So a quick rundown again.

All is fine, fuel line fitting breaks, I repair it, suddenly car is running extremely rich.

I'm at a complete loss here any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:14 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Verify your wide band 02 is good by looking at the factory 02 readings.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Steve@C56
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
True or false rich running, that is the question !

Is idle not high ? (if running rich, idle should be high)

No DTC ? (if rich, LTFT should be max out and give DTC)

Water temp gauge ok ? (if water temp is too low, the tune automaticly enrich for safe)

Can you plug a scan for read Water temp/IAT(if is too high, normal to be rich)/LTFT-STFT bank 1&2/AFR commanded/o2 front bank 1&2
Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

You also might look at the Front O2's and see what they look like as well as the plugs -

If you got a set of extra's put them in and see if that straightens it out - it's possible they got drowned and are fouled -

This happened to me when my O2 went bad on the drivers side! it fouled out the plugs and was pig rich.

At least it will be a starting point and a quick inspection will let you know what's possibly going on!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies, I pulled the o2 sensor and re-calibrated it. Read fine for about a mile and then went back to 11 ish a/f. about 2 hours later i went the parts store to pick up a new o2 sensor and it seemed back to normal running around 14.5ish cruising around. I'm going to drive it all day tomorrow and see if anything changes, if it goes back to the 11ish then im going to swap the wideband and see if thats the issue. It doesn't seem to be running too crazy, no black smoke no rough idle so im thinking it was a crazy scenario that the wideband went bad the exact same time the line broke, odds are few and far between but ive seen crazier things happen.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! suddenly running super rich?

Quick Reply: HELP! suddenly running super rich?