C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shredded first belt, how tight is too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Phiber Optik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shredded first belt, how tight is too tight?

So I just shredded my first belt with my 8rib setup, I noticed the stock tensioner near the crank pulley and the water pump was sitting at a bit of an angle, I hope that was the cause, I have the a&a bracket and a vortech JT trim with a 3.33" pulley usually I put a long flat screw driver in the blower j bracket to tighten the belt, but how tight are you supposed to go? I imagine going this tight was fully bottoming out the factory tensioner.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That isn't a tension issue... That is a pulley alignment issue.

Tighten the manual tensioner till you almost max out the spring tensioner. Pretty difficult to make it to tight.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Phiber Optik
Racer

I did a few searches and a few guys have said if you over tighten the tensioner it will sit at an angle so the pulley is not applying as much tension on the belt towards the front of the car, which is the side of the belt that has shredded.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7

Tighten the manual tensioner till you almost max out the spring tensioner. Pretty difficult to make it to tight.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...right-way.html
Old 04-22-2014, 09:39 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

This definitely looks like an alignment issue as most have said. You can tell the angle is off in the picture. Once you get that lined up make sure to check that all of the pulleys dont have any sharp edges. I randomly had a small chip/sharp edge on my main SC pulley and it shredded the belt also. Really did some work to my hoodliner too. Rocking the 4 rib with 4 psi wasnt fun....
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

99% of the time it is the PS pulley. Very hard to get it aligned properly without using a laser system.

Good luck. There is no such thing as too tight IMO.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 AM
torchvette10
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having shredded 7 belts before getting it right, I can only tell to check your alignment with a laser system. It is the best way to check if everything is alright and if nothing is out of angle.
And also check the calibration of the system. If it is not right you'll think everything is aligned while it is not. The one I used was way off ...
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7

Originally Posted by Unreal
99% of the time it is the PS pulley. Very hard to get it aligned properly without using a laser system.

Good luck. There is no such thing as too tight IMO.
I agree the PS is the one that will give you a PITA.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Alignment issue for sure. There's no reason to max out the tensioner. Just get a belt that fits properly within the range of the tensioner.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get it to tight.. it usually will be a problem at higher RPMs when the tensior really starts to move and things start to heat up..
Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Phiber Optik
Racer

I picked up the dayco laser alignment tool, new belt and tensioner today, had a supermoto race tonght so I wasn't able to check but I will tomorrow and post my findings, I hope the crank pulley is off as it was a bitch to get on there (very tight fit)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber Optik
I picked up the dayco laser alignment tool, new belt and tensioner today, had a supermoto race tonght so I wasn't able to check but I will tomorrow and post my findings, I hope the crank pulley is off as it was a bitch to get on there (very tight fit)
Take all your measurements from the crank pulley, its your ZERO as its the one item that cannot be adjusted without machining.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Flip-Drive time!

Flip-Drive and the 8-rib system and you will be flying high! really simplifies the alignment issues too, especially be singling out the supercharger on its own belt and the accessories on there own too!

Like others said, double and then re-check the alignment and if the tensioner is off to the side then that is the issue, once all back together shoot the laser on all the pulleys too and you will be able to identify "IF" the tensioner is cocked to one side!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber Optik
When you say "I hope the crank pulley is off as it was a bitch to get on there (very tight fit)" Did you torque it down to spec per the manual and reach that 240? Also how much room do you have left from the snout to crank? You need to measure that to insure you have that correct. As others have said that is your zero so if you don't already have one go get a dial caliper from harbor freight($10-15) and measure that and insure you are withing factory specs. If not you are wasting your time.

This is what you will be mesuring..Just being off .125" will screw things up thats a whole rib...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...s-soon-10.html

This is for oem
Old 05-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Phiber Optik
Racer

My power steering pulley was off, and the tensioner was haggard and sitting at an angle.

The dayco laser too works well but it's not perfect, it's designed for bigger pulleys than the alternator and my small blower pulley and it was very hard to get it on the crank pulley to shoot a line with all the obstacles in the way. I managed to get it all lined up, once all the other stuff is back together, I'll confirm if it will last...

Get notified of new replies

To Shredded first belt, how tight is too tight?

Quick Reply: Shredded first belt, how tight is too tight?