C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with SC belt adjustment`

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Stimey131
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with SC belt adjustment`

I have a 04 C5 with a Procharger P1SC and in just the past week my belt has started to squeal very very loud. It sounds horrible like the car needs some serious help. It has always squeak a little on cold mornings, but as soon as the car warmed up it went away. Now it will go away intermittently and speed doesn't seem to affect it. I did the wax test to make sure it wasn't a pulley and it's not, so I'm thinking the belt has stretched a little and most likely needs tighten up. Can someone walk me through the procedure or hopefully maybe some one knows of a youtube video showing how to do this.

I'm also planning on ordering either a Dayco or Gates laser belt/pulley alignment tool, but after I try the belt adjustment 1st. Also can someone tell me how the Dayco laser alignment tool works if you have a aluminum pulley.(my crank shaft pulley or Harmonic balancer is aluminum.)

I haven't been driving my vette because of the horrible sound it makes, so I have got to fix this asap because the weather has been just right. I also just love driving it.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Seems to be a lot of this going around lately.

Another forum member here helped me out and I did the same thing last weekend. Mine was squealing a bit during warmup, then it would go away. Took it to a carwash that did the underbody wash and then it started squealing and wouldn't stop. I replaced the belt compeltely with a new Gates belt. I took it off and checked all the pulleys, which seemed fine. New belt fixed it.

So, if you want to simply tighten it...it's a piece of cake. There is a manual tensioner under the blower that is fastened to the bracket. If you look to the left side of the bracket, the motor side, you'll see a slot that allows it to pivot. With the "boomerang bracket" loose (the tensioner), you can use a breaker bar to get some leverage and pivot this bracket which has a pulley on it that tightens the belt. So, loosen the bracket, crank on it with a breaker bar, tighten it down while the leverage is applied. Hopefully that's all you need.

I'll take a photo quick and point out where to put the breaker bar.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

There is a sticky on top how to use the laser and you need to align it before use. Bet it fixes your issues did for me
Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Shane1974
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stimey131
I have a 04 C5 with a Procharger P1SC and in just the past week my belt has started to squeal very very loud. It sounds horrible like the car needs some serious help. It has always squeak a little on cold mornings, but as soon as the car warmed up it went away. Now it will go away intermittently and speed doesn't seem to affect it. I did the wax test to make sure it wasn't a pulley and it's not, so I'm thinking the belt has stretched a little and most likely needs tighten up. Can someone walk me through the procedure or hopefully maybe some one knows of a youtube video showing how to do this.

I'm also planning on ordering either a Dayco or Gates laser belt/pulley alignment tool, but after I try the belt adjustment 1st. Also can someone tell me how the Dayco laser alignment tool works if you have a aluminum pulley.(my crank shaft pulley or Harmonic balancer is aluminum.)

I haven't been driving my vette because of the horrible sound it makes, so I have got to fix this asap because the weather has been just right. I also just love driving it.
Gatorback when I used to run a procharger setup on my c6. Fixed my slippage and noise. I'm running a flip drive on the c5z06. Fixes all slippage and other issues but makes you cuss if you have to change a belt. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Here are a couple photos I just took for adjusting belt tension.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 04-17-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Stimey131
Instructor

Thanks for the help guys and a special thanks to Quickshift C5 for the pics. They will help me so much. I'm fixing to go tighten it now. I agree with you guys and I plan to use a gator back when I change the pulley. I only use a certain mechanic and he stays so busy, so its about a month before he can get to me, so I'm hoping that tightening the belt will work until I can get it in for the few small upgrades and a dyno tune session. I'll let you know how it turned out.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

if its been doing it a while the belt will be trashed and tightening wont fix it

more than likely you'll need a new belt (if it was only slipping and nothing else is worn out) .. atleast you know your crank pulley is good .. mine was a couple worn out idler pulleys, cracked / wobbling power steering pulley, and belt the first time

crank pulley wobbling and worn out a/c idlers this time
Old 04-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Adrians99FRC
if its been doing it a while the belt will be trashed and tightening wont fix it

more than likely you'll need a new belt (if it was only slipping and nothing else is worn out) .. atleast you know your crank pulley is good .. mine was a couple worn out idler pulleys, cracked / wobbling power steering pulley, and belt the first time

crank pulley wobbling and worn out a/c idlers this time
How long have you been running the supercharger on your car? I'm curious when I might expect to see that kind of wear.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
How long have you been running the supercharger on your car? I'm curious when I might expect to see that kind of wear.
supercharger was put on at 108k .. car has about 124k right now

I'd say its more about the mileage (and crappy stock parts like the crank and p/s pulley) than the supercharger .. but the extra tension from the supercharger belt isnt helping .. but once I get it all back together I should be good for a while b/c everything is new this time

Get notified of new replies

To Help with SC belt adjustment`

Quick Reply: Help with SC belt adjustment`