C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BilletTech alternator review...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Default BilletTech alternator review...

Got my BilletTech 170 amp from Bret, reclocked it and slapped it on. Fitment is great, even with tall Katech valve covers and tall deck heads.

Pros:

Outstanding voltage, even at full temp and heat soaked, everything turned on and I can possibly turn on, never goes under 13.9v at the battery at dead idle, in gear and foot on the brake... Most of the time it is 14.3 on the DIC and 14.7 at the battery. Sucker makes a ton of juice and heat doesn't seem to affect it. Finally have enough juice to run my 3 fans at full speed when stuck in hellacious Houston traffic..., the stock alternator didn't have a chance.

Quality and warranty are great, and ofcourse customer service from BlownBlueZ06 is always a great benefit...

Cons:

I do get the Charge Fault code when the car/alternator is cold, when the code is apparent, the alternator does not start charging until it is revved to 2000 rpms for a second or two, then it will fully charge until the key is shut off..

Once the alternator is hot, it will start charging right away without the Charge Fault code and without revving it after a restart.

Its weird why my car does this, being a 2002, they are not known to have the charge fault issue but mine does... For me its something im willing to live with in return for outstanding charging, although I am going to investigate this issue and see if we can come up with a solution.

Its not really a big deal for me though, I just start it up cold, let it warm up a minute and take off, by the time I get to the end of my neighborhood, I have already hit 2000 rpms and the alternator start charging.

I have had no issue with the flip drive/direct drive belt slipping at normal driving/full alternator load either, although some members have had this issue...mine is fine, just keep the belt tight.

All in all, its a great upgrade that I NEEDED to make my car reliable to drive during the summer in this blasted Houston traffic..

I will continue to test this thing out well and report any issues I may have, but so far with 120 miles of in town driving its been rock solid reliable at 14.3v..

Good luck to anyone that decides to try one, just know there may be additional mods required to get it to work properly but its worth it in the end.

Last edited by ajrothm; 04-09-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

And yes I know, my headers look like complete ****... They will be getting coated this summer..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome nice job AJ the black bracket looks slick and smooth too. what was the voltage like before?

Last edited by a/c man; 04-09-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by a/c man
Awesome what was the voltage like before.
When its heat soaked and in bumper to bumper traffic with lights, ac, fans, brake lights on, I'd see 12.3v on DIC..(about 12.5-12.6v at battery) and would get worse the longer I sat there... Running down the road at full electric load I'd see 13.2-13.3v on DIC....but start idling and it would tank... When cold/cool/warm, Id see 14.0-14.4v on DIC but once the alternator and engine compartment got hot, it was nothing to lose 2v...

I added my own "big 3" cable mod, cleaned all the grounds etc etc, and got NOTHING from it...

The billet tech alternator so far has not gone under 13.7 on DIC and I was trying everything I could to get the voltage to tank... Virtually every light/high beam on, 3 fans on, ac on hi...Now its ready for my stereo system install..
Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
When its heat soaked and in bumper to bumper traffic with lights, ac, fans, brake lights on, I'd see 12.3v on DIC..(about 12.5-12.6v at battery) and would get worse the longer I sat there... Running down the road at full electric load I'd see 13.2-13.3v on DIC....but start idling and it would tank... When cold/cool/warm, Id see 14.0-14.4v on DIC but once the alternator and engine compartment got hot, it was nothing to lose 2v...

I added my own "big 3" cable mod, cleaned all the grounds etc etc, and got NOTHING from it...

The billet tech alternator so far has not gone under 13.7 on DIC and I was trying everything I could to get the voltage to tank... Virtually every light/high beam on, 3 fans on, ac on hi...Now its ready for my stereo system install..
Wow thats low on the stock alt. mine gets low too. but not as bad as 12.3 I wish I had this new Billettec looks awesome who cares about the headers
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Cool...been thinking about getting one of these eventually
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 PM
c5austin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!! I get the same fault if I don't blip the throttle, but I could care less, I want to make sure the blowers still there I love constant voltage all the time! Well worth the money IMO
Old 04-10-2014, 03:37 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Got my BilletTech 170 amp from Bret, reclocked it and slapped it on. Fitment is great, even with tall Katech valve covers and tall deck heads.

Pros:

Outstanding voltage, even at full temp and heat soaked, everything turned on and I can possibly turn on, never goes under 13.9v at the battery at dead idle, in gear and foot on the brake... Most of the time it is 14.3 on the DIC and 14.7 at the battery. Sucker makes a ton of juice and heat doesn't seem to affect it. Finally have enough juice to run my 3 fans at full speed when stuck in hellacious Houston traffic..., the stock alternator didn't have a chance.

Quality and warranty are great, and ofcourse customer service from BlownBlueZ06 is always a great benefit...

Cons:

I do get the Charge Fault code when the car/alternator is cold, when the code is apparent, the alternator does not start charging until it is revved to 2000 rpms for a second or two, then it will fully charge until the key is shut off..

Once the alternator is hot, it will start charging right away without the Charge Fault code and without revving it after a restart.

Its weird why my car does this, being a 2002, they are not known to have the charge fault issue but mine does... For me its something im willing to live with in return for outstanding charging, although I am going to investigate this issue and see if we can come up with a solution.

Its not really a big deal for me though, I just start it up cold, let it warm up a minute and take off, by the time I get to the end of my neighborhood, I have already hit 2000 rpms and the alternator start charging.

I have had no issue with the flip drive/direct drive belt slipping at normal driving/full alternator load either, although some members have had this issue...mine is fine, just keep the belt tight.

All in all, its a great upgrade that I NEEDED to make my car reliable to drive during the summer in this blasted Houston traffic..

I will continue to test this thing out well and report any issues I may have, but so far with 120 miles of in town driving its been rock solid reliable at 14.3v..

Good luck to anyone that decides to try one, just know there may be additional mods required to get it to work properly but its worth it in the end.

Thanks Alan for taking the time to put a review out and for your kind words.
I've ceased advertising the Billet Tech alternator in the C5 forum due to the strange issues. What I don't get is how some work perfectly and some don't. I sell them now to the C5 customers with the understanding that if it doesn't work out you're only out shipping for trying it.

Originally Posted by a/c man
Wow thats low on the stock alt. mine gets low too. but not as bad as 12.3 I wish I had this new Billettec looks awesome who cares about the headers
Originally Posted by Milan
Cool...been thinking about getting one of these eventually
Let me know when you're ready.
Originally Posted by c5austin
Awesome!! I get the same fault if I don't blip the throttle, but I could care less, I want to make sure the blowers still there I love constant voltage all the time! Well worth the money IMO
Thanks Austin. I'll be attending the Texas Invitational. If you're interested in tuning support, you got me for free. Just let me know if I need to bring my laptop. (send me a text)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Good write up. With the need to rev to 2000 rpms it sounds like your exciting a single wire alt. I use to run a single wire 200Amp unit for a couple of years, due to the stereo. But it didn't like rev'ing to 6800 all the time in my Vette.
I need to upgrade mine, can you post an update in a month or so.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Noticed something today on my drive,

If I start the car up cold and get the charge fault code, instead of clearing the code with the button on the dash, I just took off driving it with the charge fault code on the DIC and not charging, as soon as I got out of the neighborhood and got it to around 2000 rpms, the Charge Fault code cleared out on its own and the alternator started charging... So seeing the Charge Fault code go off lets you know the alternator is charging at a quick glance.

So its not really a big deal to not have the alternator light off at idle on a cold start, (as long as the battery doesn't go dead within a 1/2 mile ), and now I don't have to worry about pushing the button every time I cold start it.

Cliff notes:
Don't reset Charge Fault code, it will go off on its own when the alternator starts charging.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

So can't you just blip throttle to 2k right off to get it working, or does it also need to be warm?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks good AJ.

So you're still getting charge fault codes?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Bret have you taken this issue to the manufacturer to see what it could be? Also why not just turn the code off completely with HPT? Or am I missing something here?

Also, how much extra (cost) does the 8 rib pulley add?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Isn't he running a direct drive?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:44 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
So can't you just blip throttle to 2k right off to get it working, or does it also need to be warm?
Yes you can blip the throttle to 2k and get it to charge, when it's the first start of the day it requires a bit more then a blip tho.. Have to hold it at 2-2,200 rpms for a few secs and it starts charging and the fault code clears... My problem with this is revving an ice cold engine to 2k and the noise it makes in my garage/neighborhood.

You could just let it warm up a couple mins then blip it and it would be ok but.. At that point, you may as well just drive off and let it start charging on its own.

Yes you can get 8 rib pulleys for them from Bret, not sure how much $$ tho..
Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Loooks great! Glad it is doing it's job!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Bret have you taken this issue to the manufacturer to see what it could be? Also why not just turn the code off completely with HPT? Or am I missing something here?

Also, how much extra (cost) does the 8 rib pulley add?
Yes. I deal directly with the owner for everything I do with them and we've had many discussions about it. I've only installed 2 personally, one on a C6 and one on a C5 (Albert's car) and neither had an issue. I don't think disabling the code will work, but we can try it with Alan's car and see.

8-Rib pulleys are 35.00 extra and the ones used on the factory alternator won't work.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 04-11-2014 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TNTC5 (05-03-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To BilletTech alternator review...

Old 04-11-2014, 03:50 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

When I had my 200Amp single wire alternator, I disabled the "F" and I think "L" field alarms and never had an issue on my 01. Just an fyi
Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyG
When I had my 200Amp single wire alternator, I disabled the "F" and I think "L" field alarms and never had an issue on my 01. Just an fyi
Thanks Joey,
I selected "not reported" on a C5 that has the issue and it didn't change, however if I had more time, I would have unchecked it the L terminal code, flashed it and reverified.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyG
Maybe I should have tried this before sending mine back to Bret..

Bret, if you find out this works, let me know. I'll hit you up for another one.

Quick Reply: BilletTech alternator review...