C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown turbo(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blown turbo(s)

Hey guys, long time lurker here.
I've ran into an issue with my '02 Z with a Stage 1 LPE TT kit on it: I've blown the turbos. When towed to the nearest 'Vette tuner, the shop owner gave me more bad news: the hoses from the turbo to the IC are worn out due to rubbing from the front tires, the oil can behind the oil pan is bent up, and it needs a new serpentine belt, plugs, wires, and cradle bolts; all of this on top of rebuilding the turbos, which the engine has to be dropped in order to remove. The shop owner says it's more cost effective to turn the car back to stock specs and sell the turbo kit, with the difference being $4,000. Hell, I'm unsure what the best route to go with would be, as it's hard enough to source turbos according to LPE's specs (which they don't give out). It's not like I have several thousands of dollars to dump into the car, but I can't just leave it as is. Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Im sure it's probably not cheap to rebuild the turbos or replace them, but I would get another shops opinion before I gave in, after driving a car that got some power it's going to be tough to go back to near stock power.
I could never be satisfied if I went in that direction.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a second opinion. Turbos can be repaired the majority of the time and then there is that time it's cheaper to buy new ones. All the other things can be repaired as well. No clue why the price is so high.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow, I'd leave that shop as soon as possible. Turbos can be rebuilt by the manufacturer, and the rest is tuneup, maintenance, and misc items. Get it home, turn some wrenches and save big $$$
Old 04-03-2014, 12:58 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Hey guys, long time lurker here.
I've ran into an issue with my '02 Z with a Stage 1 LPE TT kit on it: I've blown the turbos. When towed to the nearest 'Vette tuner, the shop owner gave me more bad news: the hoses from the turbo to the IC are worn out due to rubbing from the front tires, the oil can behind the oil pan is bent up, and it needs a new serpentine belt, plugs, wires, and cradle bolts; all of this on top of rebuilding the turbos, which the engine has to be dropped in order to remove. The shop owner says it's more cost effective to turn the car back to stock specs and sell the turbo kit, with the difference being $4,000. Hell, I'm unsure what the best route to go with would be, as it's hard enough to source turbos according to LPE's specs (which they don't give out). It's not like I have several thousands of dollars to dump into the car, but I can't just leave it as is. Thoughts?
#1, There are quite a few turbo rebuilders out there, including Forced Performance and there are probably a handful of wicked turbos you could upgrade to, using the Lingenfelter manifolds.

#2, I would have to see the damage, but I would almost be willing to bet that the silicone charge tubes can be spliced together with stainless piping and T-bolt clamps. If you need help with parts for the system, John Page, owner of 21st Century Muscle Cars (in Carrollton, TX) is the only Lingenfelter dealer other than Lingenfelter and he might be able to help.

#3 Dropping the cradle in these cars isn't difficult. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you want to wait and bring me the car, I can yank your cradle in a couple of hours or so, taking my time. If you're not close, many of us know good, reputable shops all over the country that can take care of you.

#4 I can't imagine how much your value would drop converting the car back to stock. Spending a bunch of money and keeping it a Lingenfelter might make more sense.

Don't go feeling stuck with the shop it's at. Tell them to hold off and do your due diligence on this before you pull the trigger at any shop you go to. We've all seen people get hosed and it sucks watching it.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

They diagnosed a blown turbo without removing it? Find a new shop. If it's true the cradle needs to be dropped to get to the turbos, it could be anything at this point.

Better yet, post your location. Maybe someone on here can help you and save you some $$$.

Quality turbos don't just blow up unless you have a lot of miles on them (unlikely) or something else is wrong. Also turbo technology has come a long way since your kit was probably installed, let alone developed.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:44 AM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you have to replace cradle bolts?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:00 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
Why would you have to replace cradle bolts?
I think the service manual says you're supposed to replace the cradle nuts, and not re-use them? However I can attest they can be re-used at least a dozen times.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:03 PM
lingenfelter200
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pm sent
Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

I'm in Maryland, as is the car. I feel like I'm stuck shelling out 3-4k to bring it to stock specs or 5-7k to bring it back to what it was. I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion, but I'd have to have the car towed to another shop if someone else was to take a look at it.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

Also, if the turbos were replaced or rebuilt, it'd be the 2nd time that had to happen. The previous owner had the turbos rebuilt, as well as the charge tubes replaced. I'd say there was about 20k put on the turbos.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM
flash of red
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's very difficult to own a complicated car like a tubocharged Z06 and not be able to turn your own wrenches when necessary. You either have to be able to work on it or have the $$$ to get it done. I would bet all you have to do is unbolt the manifolds and drop the exhaust to get the turbos out. The silicon can easily be ordered online. I think I have seen those oil return tanks on the lingenfelter website. There are probably other tanks you could make or resource.

I know I couldnt afford to have my car if I had to pay for labor and trust others to do things right. Hate to see a lingenfelter car go to stock.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Absolutely take it away from that shop! Much more value maintained by keeping it a Lingenfelter car!

If I remember right, the turbos used on most of them were Garrett gt2871r's. You can get a new cartridge or send them in for rebuild. Worn couplers, spark plugs, etc. are easy to replace. Can probably just get a new can from lingenfelter if needed or have someone replicate it. Any way you swing it, it's no where close to the expense you've been quoted.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

unless the turbo blades have screwed up the housings they can be rebuilt cheaper than replaced or even get new ones cheaper than 7k

yes, it's a tough job to replace the turbos but I sure wouldn't take an LPE back to stock unless you really want to sell it bad and sell the turbo kit

even then, I'd think twice as the LPE turbo cars are a thing of joy!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:02 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

You can have the turbos rebuilt at Arizona Turbo (AZTurbo) for about $300 each for a cartridge style turbo. That's assuming there is no impeller/wheel damage. The turbo will look like brand new when you get it back. Fast turn around time too.

Definitely fix the car and keep it a lingenfelter..

I'm curious as to why they think the turbos are "blown"... The odds of both turbos failing at the same time is pretty slim..especially with only 20k miles on them.

Find another shop or better yet, take it apart yourself.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

many times either the turbo seals or the scavenge pumps fail which causes a bunch of smoke in the exhaust

unfortunately, it sounds like the shop is eager to spend your money rather than diagnose the problem which is a bit too common.

the LPE cars are generally very reliable, but if it has Ts or Tires, they are going to be issues
Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I'm in Maryland, as is the car. I feel like I'm stuck shelling out 3-4k to bring it to stock specs or 5-7k to bring it back to what it was. I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion, but I'd have to have the car towed to another shop if someone else was to take a look at it.
Where in Maryland

Get notified of new replies

To Blown turbo(s)

Old 04-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

So I took it to a fellow Lingenfelter owner and forum member down in Alexandria; wish I had time to consult the forums first! Would have brought it to him right away. So the scavenger pump and pulley was absolutely ruined; the pulley was falling apart, and I imagine it's due to the scavenger pump seizing while the belt is still moving, tearing apart the pulley. Hopefully a rebuild, belt and new pulley will sort the problem out. Will let you all know how it turns out!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:16 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

So glad you got it away from the other shop. You were about to spend a lot of money and get taken for a long ride I'm sure.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad you found the REAL problem. The forum and the enthusiasts are great. Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Blown turbo(s)