C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I do recall you posting something similar to this in the past. Thanks for the reminder refresher.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LTstewy8
No, I'm not forgetting that. The concepts which you clearly have limited understanding of, but are hinting at, are related to boundary lubrication, which is also covered in one of the links that I provided you. I would suggest less typing and more reading. Start with looking up what a centrifuge is, unless you just want to talk about purifiers and clarifiers instead of tribology.

Btw, I'm not discounting what you say about oil pressure's importance. It certainly is, but there is much more to it.
You have provided links to formulas engine builders use to give a starting point for what oil to use. At the end of the day, you have two options for understanding how your engine is handling the oil. Pressure, and oil analysis. We can all plug numbers into formulas. If we have no way of verifying our calculations though, it doesn't do us much good. Much of the time academia doesn't replace real world values. Data can reinforce theory though. Since my engineering degree doesn't start with mechanical, I apologize for mistakenly using centrifuge instead of centrifugal motion. Maybe you could apply the links you copied and pasted to allude to what oil might be recommended per bearing clearance?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
LTstewy8
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by directnosfogger
You have provided links to formulas engine builders use to give a starting point for what oil to use. At the end of the day, you have two options for understanding how your engine is handling the oil. Pressure, and oil analysis. We can all plug numbers into formulas. If we have no way of verifying our calculations though, it doesn't do us much good. Much of the time academia doesn't replace real world values. Data can reinforce theory though. Since my engineering degree doesn't start with mechanical, I apologize for mistakenly using centrifuge instead of centrifugal motion. Maybe you could apply the links you copied and pasted to allude to what oil might be recommended per bearing clearance?
You're exactly right. As for actually performing the calculations, that's where the theory behind it goes out the window. Sure, you may know clearances and RPM, but good luck plugging an accurate projected load into that calculation. You would need to know exactly what the force(weight+external forces i.e. cylinder pressure) over the projected area of the bearing is. Projected area is used as an approximation (length*diameter of the bearing) because the calculation of all those vertical force components (horizontal components cancel out) across the actual curved bearing face would be a PITA). You could run the calculations over and over with tiny changes based on educated assumptions and get totally different answers. Even if the only variable change is load (as in the original poster's situation), I don't think you could use the proportional change in power to get an answer because the chart that uses the Sommerfeld number to get a viscosity is on a logarithmic scale.

The point of the links I provided in a hasty google search were just to give an idea of how manufacturers arrive at a recommended oil weight, and to hopefully show why these internet myths about "rule of thumb" and how to figure out what weight oil to use are bs. How much oil pressure do you need to supply a journal bearing in theory? 1psig, BobIt's all about keeping the supply of oil adequate, because the hydrodynamic wedge creates its own pressure with a peak pressure at the thinnest point of the wedge. In reality, you need that pressure to supply all the parts of the engine with lube oil, which blownbluez06 did a great job of explaining why. As to figure out what oil to use, I just ask the manufacturer. They've actually done the crazy math to figure out what oil to recommend, and in the case of MAN or Wartsila for huge 30,000 hp ship engines it's probably just Shell Rotella. Nothing special- just 1,000 gallons of it changed regularly based on oil lab analysis.

The simple answer is that you need a thicker oil, OP The bearings are arguably the most important thing to lube in your engine.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:27 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Oil pressure, just like boost is a measurement based on of the resistance to forward flow. The key to selecting proper viscosity oil is to select it based on things like internal clearances, load, type of use and temperature range of use.
If you have tight clearances, you need thinner oil. Looser bearing clearances need thicker oil. This is in an attempt to maintain what Joe Gibbs calls the "Hydrodynamic Oil Wedge" or protective boundary layer of oil.

Here's a video you can watch that may help.

bringing this back up, its time for my second oil change for my car and im not so sure im happy with the first choice i was recommended.

how would one figure out what is good if they do not have the info from the builder?
can they use info from past oil used to determine what is needed?

the oil i run now is straight 40w vr1, im just worried on cold starts. it seems to screw with my oil pressure when its cold vs warm and im not so sure im happy with it. since i started using it ive always waited till the car was fully warm before driving it.
i like the vr1 brand with the added zinc etc but they don't make anything like a 5 40 or 10 40.\

motor is a forged ls2, stock cubes, arun cam, stock modded rockers

pressure with the straight 40 wt
idle 33psi when hot 40ish cold
50psi cruising hot 60ish cold
whats odd tho is if i start cruising and the oil isn't up to temp it will be around 45psi then after a few miles it will jump to around 60psi then when fully warm creep down to 50psi and remain there until i shutdown.
not sure on wot, haven't done much of it with the new setup...
motor has around 1500 miles on it id say, no noises and runs great, doesn't make noise with the straight 40w on cold starts either...

Last edited by StealthFRC; 04-19-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Correct oil