C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what issues/mechanical issues have you had since adding a super charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

blown stock motor

broken crank in 2 on forged motor

had 2 built transmissions go out one broke the case in 2..

broke the balancer spun off.

blown head gaskets..

and that's not all the stuff hahahahaha!!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I just want to finish my install.. I would say mainly operator error at this point lol

Last edited by Chicago1; 02-05-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Soul per4mance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram Clutch wear, tire wear, and a major drain in my bank account in my quest to go faster.
I've got 40k miles on my charged setup so far and no regrets.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

OP... You WILL break everything at some point.. Everything.
Tuned by Jesus and all... You will still eventually tear up a motor.. The best tunes in the world don't prevent failed injectors, failed fuel pumps/relays/wiring. They don't prevent a bad tank of gas..

Some live a while, some don't.. If you're a total poser/waxer/weekend show boy, it may live a while.. If you even remotely run the car how you should run a 600hp car, you're gonna break it. Don't even get me started on taking it to the drag strip...lol

If you don't want to work on it or pay for repairs out the a$$.. Leave the car NA and cruise on..

If you don't mind throwing money away like nobody's business, don't mind if the car is up on jacks more then its on the ground, and don't mind spending hundreds on man hours fixing the same stuff over and over and over, no matter how much you spent on the best parts, then you can reap the rewards of occassionally driving and racing one of the most nasty/fun vehicles on wheels. The feeling you get when you're blowing away from the competition on street battles great, just know there is a heavy price to pay for this fun.

Don't let the shops and vendors fool you, it's not a "bolt on and forget it" deal with blowers/turbos...or even spray for that matter..

Weigh out the options and determine why you want it and if you can justify having it..and if you'll actually use it... And if you can, well.. Welcome to the club... We all call it the "sickness"..

That is the reality. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Tuned by Jesus and all... You will still eventually tear up a motor.. The best tunes in the world don't prevent failed injectors, failed fuel pumps/relays/wiring. They don't prevent a bad tank of gas..

Some live a while, some don't.. If you're a total poser/waxer/weekend show boy, it may live a while.. If you even remotely run the car how you should run a 600hp car, you're gonna break it. Don't even get me started on taking it to the drag strip...lol

If you don't want to work on it or pay for repairs out the a$$.. Leave the car NA and cruise on..

If you don't mind throwing money away like nobody's business, don't mind if the car is up on jacks more then its on the ground, and don't mind spending hundreds on man hours fixing the same stuff over and over and over, no matter how much you spent on the best parts, then you can reap the rewards of occassionally driving and racing one of the most nasty/fun vehicles on wheels. The feeling you get when you're blowing away from the competition on street battles great, just know there is a heavy price to pay for this fun.

Don't let the shops and vendors fool you, it's not a "bolt on and forget it" deal with blowers/turbos...or even spray for that matter..

Weigh out the options and determine why you want it and if you can justify having it..and if you'll actually use it... And if you can, well.. Welcome to the club... We all call it the "sickness"..

very well said lots of truth here

These boosted cars are like a High dollar hooker.. lots of $ for a fast short ride But I like it
Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 PM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by a/c man

These boosted cars are like a High dollar hooker.. lots of $ for a fast short ride But I like it

it seems the faster we all get the wiser we all get at least when it comes to giving advice to others while behind the scenes we fork over 1000's of dollars chasing couple of 1/10th's
Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

This should be a sticky! Ha ha it's a sickness man. You are perfectly fine with your power then you get beat or eventually get used to it...and the cost continues to climb the harder you push it. Someone is ALWAYS faster...Welcome to the club ! You will love boost
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by a/c man

These boosted cars are like a High dollar hooker.. lots of $ for a fast short ride But I'm addicted to it
We don't just like it, we're addicted to it. Something ya like ya can give up without to much trouble, that ain't the case with this, now is it? Love the analogy thought!

The list of upgrades I would like to do this year is staggering and I just don't know how I can move that much $$$$ without getting a divorce. Which come to think of it is probably the one thing that would cost me more money than the car!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This one post is enough...whats left to say anymore? well said.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Very great thanks guys and I really what to be apart "club sickness" Lol...im still debating. .I might just add a 100shot nitrous and if the motor goes boom ill update the motor. .but I really want the supercharger
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

There are a few issues that most run into when installing a blower kit on these cars.

Traction issues.

Less money in the bank

A new addiction.

These are just a few issues that most run into.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:53 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Tuned by Jesus and all... You will still eventually tear up a motor..
Classic!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:08 AM
OklahomaBourne
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I just want to finish my install.. I would say mainly operator error at this point lol
I finally finished my install and about to go get a tune .. i put the APS twin turbo in a 99 FRC .. I just want to tell somebody what i think about the one piece steel bell housing .. I would think people would want one with their setup , but i had to cut out a lot of it to get my turbo between that and the oil pan
Old 02-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Charged C4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the close to the HP you desire 505 at the wheels..and want more..never enough.
All posts above are very accurate.
A&A small pulley, ported TB with 2 bar MAF, Corsa Exhaust, Monster Spec 2+ with a light flywheel. Tuned by Tick Performance. No issues thus far but know they are comming. Issue: Tires wear 90% faster on rear than when it was NA.
To do list: New short and long output shafts, C6 diff, RPM trans upgrade - then forged motor, etc, etc....
Old 02-16-2014, 01:47 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by OklahomaBourne
I finally finished my install and about to go get a tune .. i put the APS twin turbo in a 99 FRC .. I just want to tell somebody what i think about the one piece steel bell housing .. I would think people would want one with their setup , but i had to cut out a lot of it to get my turbo between that and the oil pan
Same thing I had to do to fit one on my previous APS-equipped car.

However, well worth the money for the added safety, IMO.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 PM
LTstewy8
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rubber motor mounts gave out. I know that's just one piece out of the thousand piece puzzle I put together, but I wish I would have had someone slap me when I looked at my stock ones and said, "Screw it, these will be good enough." Tons of little things like that, and that's just the one that's fresh on my mind. Look at every single piece of the car.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by OklahomaBourne
Thought all those issues got resolved?

edit..I'm thinking about the PTK kit

Get notified of new replies

To what issues/mechanical issues have you had since adding a super charger

Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 PM
YELLO C5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to run a few road courses and autocrosses a year. I'll be having a short block built. Plan to keep it around 500 RWHP. Is there a difference in reliability/maintenance between the Vortech's, Paxon's, or even the Magnachargers?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 821 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by YELLO C5
I plan to run a few road courses and autocrosses a year. I'll be having a short block built. Plan to keep it around 500 RWHP. Is there a difference in reliability/maintenance between the Vortech's, Paxon's, or even the Magnachargers?
the TVS (new Magnuson) is very reliable & provides power across the entire board with basically no extra maintenance required. i love mine

and you say you'll keep it at a measly 500 now...
Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Speedaemonc4
Racer

If you're married or in any kind of relationship it'll break that for sure....

Other than that..

2 Clutches, torque tube bushings, bell housings (front and back), Transmission main shaft broke off when the diff split in half, one stock LQ4 #7 piston, think thats it.

Quick Reply: what issues/mechanical issues have you had since adding a super charger