C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo Stock LS1 Engine Failure: Going out with a bang!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Twin Turbo Stock LS1 Engine Failure: Going out with a bang!

Back in August, I found these orange deposits on the #7 spark plug. I thought they were kind of odd so I asked a few questions and did some research online. Most of what I read seemed to indicate that they were from additives in gasoline. I thought it was strange they were only on one plug, but the car was still running very strong so I continued racing it. I put an electronic boost controller on the car in September, it went to the road course in October and I was getting ready for the track rental in November.
Name:  SparkPlug_zps29241901.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  30.7 KB

Unfortunately I made a mistake. Now, almost 2 months have passed, but I figured I would post up the details and pictures of the engine failure. I was racing late at night in early November and had just shifted into 5th gear. At around 160mph, it felt like the car was pulling timing and I saw a glowing orange spark shoot out to the side of the car before everything went silent. I quickly pushed in the clutch and put the transmission in neutral as smoke began billowing into the cockpit. I noticed that the tach was reading 0 rpm and almost every warning light was on. After coasting for a couple of miles and finding a safe place to park, the large puddle of oil under the car was a good indication that something was wrong.

A couple of days later I pulled this from the driver’s side of the block in the vicinity of the #5 cylinder skirt. This is a picture showing a 5.3L engine in the background for reference.
Name:  Pic1_zpsa5b89a5c.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  34.4 KB

Now it was time to pull the engine and do further investigation.
Name:  DSCN1369_zps46e75dbf.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  50.5 KB

Driver’s side
Name:  DSCN1372_zps9dc848ce.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  66.7 KB

Passenger’s side
Name:  DSCN1374_zps058da84f.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  55.2 KB

#5 piston as found after removing the heads
Name:  DSCN1385_zpsbdb7e41a.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  70.6 KB

The piston tops and ring lands were still intact. Notice the orange deposits on the head gasket around the cylinder bore. Interesting that they are very similar in color to the deposits I found on the spark plug. I still run GM Dex Cool Coolant and it is the same orange color. I had a head gasket leak that gradually got worse and then let go at just the right moment. These were factory 86k mile gaskets and TTY head bolts. I’m impressed that they held up so well.
Name:  DSCN1387_zps70b6c699.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  71.4 KB
Name:  DSCN1391_zps575b4b89.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  31.5 KB

Oil Pan removed. #5 connecting rod is broken. Unfortunately, water is incompressible.
Name:  DSCN1441_zps13702fbc.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  60.9 KB
Old 12-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I’ll get some more pictures up later, but I really don’t look at this failure as finding the limit of the stock rotating assembly and cylinder case. I suspected that the head gasket was compromised and made an error in judgment by deciding to go for one more race. I think with a set of LS9 gaskets and head studs, this engine would have lasted even longer at this power level.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
I’ll get some more pictures up later, but I really don’t look at this failure as finding the limit of the stock rotating assembly and cylinder case. I suspected that the head gasket was compromised and made an error in judgment by deciding to go for one more race. I think with a set of LS9 gaskets and head studs, this engine would have lasted even longer at this power level.
Hate it for you buddy, But do agree with you on the problem with it. Good luck putting her back together over the winter. Robert
Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Jesus H Christ!!

Nothing like testing the limits of stock components.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:15 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Not gonna buff out...

Sorry man..

Time to build a monster!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That sucks. Whats next, small cube build or upgrade the turbos and run a larger engine, etc? We need someone to try the newer turbonetics 61mm billet wheels/b covers haha.

Last edited by slow ride; 12-30-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by slow ride
That sucks. Whats next, small cube build or upgrade the turbos and run a larger engine, etc? We need someone to try the newer turbonetics 61mm billet wheels/b covers haha.
What are the details on the Turbonetics 61mm snails?

I'm in the middle of deciding on the next combo. There are many different options. In some ways I would like to continue pushing a stock motor, but changing one of these engines out is a decent amount of work without a lift. I'm not sure if a stock engine and displacement is going to get me to my ultimate goal using a 6 speed. This is still very much a street car that likes to spend some time on the track. The night it broke is the first time it has ever been on a trailer.

I feel like the best thing is to build an engine and reuse the turbo kit for now and then do a custom kit later.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch! looks familiar to me
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The billet 61mm compressor wheels are the largest turbonetics billet wheels that will fit the b covers. Others have gone bigger but not with turbonetics. You could also do a 62-1 cast 62mm wheels like I have and upgrade to a f1-65mm exhaust wheel.

You will make better power with a smaller engine and the stock kit as it sits. Less backpressure, etc but a larger motor would make more torque. You could do a forged rod/piston stock engine for not much if you like to build engines and have a good machine shop you trust. Even a simple stock stroke ls2/ls3 block would be somewhat cheap except for the block. Time to see what you can scavenge from the carnage you have first though.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

r.i.p. stock LS1
The following users liked this post:
Engineman02 (05-10-2019)
Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Dang man, ... At least you got a lot of good life and times out of it. I think I see some deformation in the fire-ring on that cylinder, possibly where the leak was. Agree that was what killed it for sure.

Curious to see what you end up doing engine wise. If you're going to go custom kit down the road, i'm sure you'll spec the new engine appropriately.

So, what is the ultimate goal you refer to then?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by slow ride
You will make better power with a smaller engine and the stock kit as it sits. Less backpressure, etc but a larger motor would make more torque.
Can you elaborate more on this? I've heard different theories on it. I'm interested in looking at this only from the standpoint of using the TTiX kit and the T3/T4 hybrid turbos that are available to fit it. I'm also only looking at it from the standpoint of using a 6-speed manual transmission and mostly 93 octane and methanol injection.

It seems there have only been a few people make close to 1k rwhp with the 58/62 turbos and a 346 or 347 engine. They seem to be very happy in the 900 rwhp range. The 62/65s are capable of over 1k rwhp but there may be some issues between shifts with a low compression engines and spool.

With a 402 or 427, the 62/65s (0.82 A/R exhaust housing) seem to be very capable of 1100 rwhp or more. It seems that not to many people have explored the upper limit of this particular combination.

Originally Posted by JDS99
Dang man, ... At least you got a lot of good life and times out of it. I think I see some deformation in the fire-ring on that cylinder, possibly where the leak was. Agree that was what killed it for sure.

Curious to see what you end up doing engine wise. If you're going to go custom kit down the road, i'm sure you'll spec the new engine appropriately.

So, what is the ultimate goal you refer to then?
Yes, the fire ring was very deformed at the 9 o'clock position on cylinder #5. There is also evidence that the gasket was compromised at the 6 o'clock position on cylinders #3 and #5. The #3 rod is slightly deformed, so that cylinder may have filled with coolant also.

My goal this year was to run 9s with the stock internals plus a cam. I did that in the first half of the year and then ended up working continuous 12 hour days for most of the summer. I was planning to go for 9.50s before the end of the year until this happened.

The next goal is to run 8s with a TTiX kit and a 6 speed manual transmission. So far, I haven't found any limitations with the X kit. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 AM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

The next goal is to run 8s with a TTiX kit and a 6 speed manual transmission. So far, I haven't found any limitations with the X kit. We'll see what happens.
Someone on here was having issues with boost control, but I think he's running bigger cubes. Good luck with the rebuild, i'm absolutely amazed by the destruction of your motor.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Just kidding:

It's all in the tune. It's all in the tune. It's all in the tune.

I doubt it's in the tune. OP may even have logs to and tune to post here if someone thinks it's the tune.

I will be interesting to see the rod bearings.

I would also like to see more details about head gaskets (and possible leak areas).
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

There is also evidence that the gasket was compromised at the 6 o'clock position on cylinders #3 and #5.
That's not uncommon with enough boost and/or knock.. But it won't necessarily break other things, but it all depends.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Just kidding:

I doubt it's in the tune. OP may even have logs to and tune to post here if someone thinks it's the tune.

I will be interesting to see the rod bearings.

I would also like to see more details about head gaskets (and possible leak areas).
That's not uncommon with enough boost and/or knock.. But it won't necessarily break other things, but it all depends.
I'm having trouble following what you are trying to say. If you have a statement to make, go ahead and make it and we can discuss it right here.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

I'm having trouble following what you are trying to say. If you have a statement to make, go ahead and make it and we can discuss it right here.
Sorry, english is not my default language. Please also forget the joking about the tune.

If I understand this right (which I may not) OP thinks that the failure is because of leaked coolant (because of head gasket or bolts).

If that is the case, I don't see the evidence or don't understand it. Head gaskets have leaked at 6 o'clock, yes, I agree. But other than that do you really think your rod/block failure at WOT (if I understand right) is because of leaking gasket.

For that reason it would be interesting to see the all the connecting rod bearings.

Last edited by Pekka_Perkeles; 12-31-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Turbo Stock LS1 Engine Failure: Going out with a bang!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Sorry, english is not my default language. Please also forget the joking about the tune.

If I undestand this right (which I may not) OP thinks that the failure is because of leaked coolant (because of head gasket or bolts).

If that is the case, I don't see the evidence or don't understand it. Head gaskets have leaked at 6 o'clock, yes, I agree. But other than that do you really think your rod/block failure at WOT (if I understand right) is because of leaking gasket.

For that reason it would be interesting to see the all the connecting rod bearings.
Ok, thanks for clarifying. You are correct. I believe the main cause of failure to be that the head gasket began leaking a large amount of coolant into the cylinder and because liquid is mostly incompressible, it caused the rod to fail and proceeded to cause the rest of the damage to the block and piston. The plugs on this side of the engine were wet like they had been in water and weren't firing. The coolant smelled like gasoline and the next day when I drained the oil pan it it had a large amount of coolant in it. None of the pistons or spark plugs are showing any signs of detonation.

I still need to remove the rods, crank, and pistons, etc. from the engine and will take some pictures and post them up this week.

What kind of pictures would you like to see of the head gaskets?

I'm open to any ideas about what else may have happened, but this was a stock internal LS1 with 20 psi manifold pressure and the original stock head gaskets and bolts.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably just a terrible tuner. That's what I'm going with.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by user_name
Probably just a terrible tuner. That's what I'm going with.
I learned from some of the best. Lol.

It definitely wasn't those rod bolts that everyone says are weak on the LS1 and won't hold more than 500hp. The rod bolts are still doing their job. I'll probably reuse them in the next engine.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 12-31-2013 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Engineman02 (05-10-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Stock LS1 Engine Failure: Going out with a bang!