C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Disc Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:05 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Twin Disc Clutch Chatter

I am posting here because I know you guys have up graded clutches.

I finished the installation of my new twin disc clutch. I finished a little late that night, so I just took it for a quick spin of about 5 miles. The clutch was smooth and engaged great, no slipping. The next day when I went for a drive the clutch had considerable chatter. When I called the manufacture I was told that this is normal during the break-in period and it should go away once I put some mile on it. It just seams weird that it had no chatter for 5 miles then developed chatter. I went with the twin disc because it was supposed to smooth and not chatter. Please tell me the manufacture is correct and this will correct itself.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2013, 04:25 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

It's normal.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

What make of clutch ?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Arnie Chamberlain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me 5k of mixed driving to get my twin disk fully broken in. Now that its broken in, the car drives like stock, shifts fantastic, and holds the power.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 AM
livinloud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i jusd put in a McLeod rst and I have the same issue its only a little chatter getting out of first. it comes and goes too when its cold no chatter when its hot I get chatter. you need to find a good traffic jam to break it in
Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What make of clutch ?

Could be a permanent thing depending on which clutch you have.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:40 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

What clutch??
Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 AM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It's a Monster stage 1
Old 09-14-2013, 11:49 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a feeling you were going to say that.

I know there's mixed reviews on those clutches.

Me personally, I'd pull the clutch, sell it for as much as you can get out of it, and buy a McLeod RST or RXT or a mantic clutch. You won't have issues then.

A 2 second google search yields lots of similar issues people have with these clutches.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208712

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 09-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Op, I would get aggressive with it and see if you can get it to smooth out after some more heat cylces. Otherwise, I would pull it and sell it as well. A clutch is one of those parts that can make you hate even the most badass car.

To add another option to your list, i've been extremely happy with the DYAD I put in mine. Need a little more throttle to get rolling because of how light it is, but is smooth.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:46 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, this is not the news I wanted to hear. I have a pretty good chunk of change in this clutch. In addition, who wants to buy a used clutch, even if it only has 70 miles on it.

The 2nd part of the story is it also has a small vibration. I am blaming myself for that, since I did not follow the advise given to me by our forum brothers to have it balanced to match the stock assembly. I am in the process of removing it today to have it balanced next week. Now I am not sure which way to go. You are right, in its current state driving the car is NOT enjoyable. It is making me rethink the whole mod road I have started down.

Unless I get some more negative feedback I guess I will get it balanced and try to work through the chatter during the break in phase. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones, and the "Monster" will settle down.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will post either way so others can learn from this, whatever happens.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:09 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

One thing to remember though is those puck style disk with their ceramic metallic pads are always more aggressive and make more noise but if it don't feel right it probably isn't. You know your car.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:19 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
One thing to remember though is those puck style disk with their ceramic metallic pads are always more aggressive and make more noise but if it don't feel right it probably isn't. You know your car.
Well, it is not a puck clutch, it is a stge 1 twin disc, I have a stage 2 twin, I have 6500 miles on mine, and it tends to chatter a little, mostly when it gets warm [hot]. I can not say how it compares to others, as this is my first twin. If I where the OP, I would contact monster and see what they have to say.
My discs are ceramic, but I think the stage 1 is organic. Not enough of these in the market yet to have a lot of reviews, so far mine seems good.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

An organic clutch should be smooth at all times.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:39 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Exactly,

"Carbon Organic Friction Material for long life and good holding capacity"

It was sold/marketed to me a smooth engagement clutch. I have talked with Monster and they assure me it will smooth out once I put some miles on it. I was hoping someone had some experience with this clutch.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
Well, it is not a puck clutch, it is a stge 1 twin disc, I have a stage 2 twin, I have 6500 miles on mine, and it tends to chatter a little, mostly when it gets warm [hot]. I can not say how it compares to others, as this is my first twin. If I where the OP, I would contact monster and see what they have to say.
My discs are ceramic, but I think the stage 1 is organic. Not enough of these in the market yet to have a lot of reviews, so far mine seems good.
Oh I see. Then in that case to the OP. yank that clutch out.

If its chattering there's issues.

The more I look on the net the more I see a bunch of unhappy people with this clutch. I mean some are happy but not too many.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by randyfl
Exactly,

"Carbon Organic Friction Material for long life and good holding capacity"

It was sold/marketed to me a smooth engagement clutch. I have talked with Monster and they assure me it will smooth out once I put some miles on it. I was hoping someone had some experience with this clutch.
No offense but if I wanted you to keep something and not send it back, I'd tell you whatever you wanted to hear. I think the reason your not hearing a lot on these clutches is because not a lot of us run em. Like I mentioned earlier a quick google search will yield tons of results and reviews. Unfortunately a lot of them are unhappy with it based on what I read.

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Disc Clutch Chatter

Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a monster in my GTO and it chattered worse than my wife but held the power. My McLeod in the Z has no chatter and feels like the stocker. I reused my flywheel and hold your breath, I didn't get it balanced with the new clutch and works fine.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 AM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I realize people will tell you what you want to hear. That is why I put it out there to you guys, knew I would get the real info I needed. It's still 50/50 on the opinions overall, some like it, and some don't. It seams the best option would be to move into another clutch and use my stock flywheel.

One thing is for sure, I am getting pretty darn good at pulling a C5 clutch!!

Again, I appreciate the the input guys.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by randyfl
I realize people will tell you what you want to hear. That is why I put it out there to you guys, knew I would get the real info I needed. It's still 50/50 on the opinions overall, some like it, and some don't. It seams the best option would be to move into another clutch and use my stock flywheel.

One thing is for sure, I am getting pretty darn good at pulling a C5 clutch!!

Again, I appreciate the the input guys.
Well the clutch is in the car. It would make little sense to pull it right away unless it really is a severe problem and it's too much for you or your driving style.

An organic clutch should not judder though. Of course that statement does require the installation was correct, all parts used were of good quality and that all friction surfaces were 100% smooth and flat on installation.

If any of the above did not apply, then yes there could be issues.

But if the clutch is in the car, it would make more sense to give it some time. Maybe it will come good. Maybe there is some other slight issue that a bedding in process might resolve.

Quick Reply: Twin Disc Clutch Chatter