C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2bar map plug and play? (MAF tune)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Default 2bar map plug and play? (MAF tune)

Hey,

I mentioned to my buddy that I have one of those ODBII code readers which connects to my Iphone. I have an app that can also show live dashboards like IAT's, etc.

The question came up, would the stock OS/Sensor read boost properly where it would be reflected on this software. The main intention would be to do simple logging to see if i am having belt slip or seeing higher IAT's, etc.

So - If I were to just get a 2 or 3 bar map and plug it into the stock cable, do you think the stock OS would read the boost readings from the MAP sensor (I'm running 12psi)?

Assuming the answer to the above is 'sure', as I am a MAF tune, would there be any negative impact to my MAF tune by swapping the MAP sensor out? I'm not a tuner, so not sure what the MAP would be used for in a traditional MAF tune.

Thanks!

John
Old 01-24-2017, 11:39 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

I realize this phone app does not replace real logging, just helps fill a gap to have some level of visibility of what is going on.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothFRC
So - If I were to just get a 2 or 3 bar map and plug it into the stock cable, do you think the stock OS would read the boost readings from the MAP sensor (I'm running 12psi)?
No(t the correct one).

Assuming the answer to the above is 'sure', as I am a MAF tune, would there be any negative impact to my MAF tune by swapping the MAP sensor out?
Yes.

I'm not a tuner, so not sure what the MAP would be used for in a traditional MAF tune.
It will be there for an Engine Control (done by the Management, hence ECM). Or PCM (Powertrain CM, including the engine).

Now, this is all fine. Without somebody asking questions, this forum would be dead.

Last edited by Pekka_Perkeles; 01-24-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So for this to work properly, assuming you have HP Tuners capability, you would have to give the car an enhanced OS as in 2 Bar speed density. GEN III PCM's only allow for speed density once the enhanced OS has been applied. (***No MAF tuning once the 2 BAR MAP-Speed Density has been applied***) You would then install the 2 bar map sensor and input the correct offset and voltage for that particular sensor so the computer reads it accurately. Then you should be able to read the amount of KPA or manifold pressure you have via phone.

The easier, more basic thing to accomplish the same task, would just be to introduce a boost gauge into the vacuum port on the intake. That will also tell you how much boost you're making and would be much cheaper and more beginner friendly.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:42 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Appreciate the responses - I suspected this was a bit more than just plugging in a larger resolution sensor and going

I do have a manual boost gauge in the car already. I try to keep an eye on it, but things are moving so fast it's hard to keep track of everything. Having this was more of a nice to have around seeing boost curve to see if any slipping, etc.

I have quite an older setup that I've modified/tweaked over the years. Havent taken the plunge on a direct drive and was trying to find evidence to justify it.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Appreciate the responses - I suspected this was a bit more than just plugging in a larger resolution sensor and going

I do have a manual boost gauge in the car already. I try to keep an eye on it, but things are moving so fast it's hard to keep track of everything. Having this was more of a nice to have around seeing boost curve to see if any slipping, etc.
Use GoPro or something similar to record what's happening at WOT.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:28 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

what application are you using to display the data?

like to see what gauges look like on like an ipad or something like that rather than going with traditional gau
ges on an old restomod

Get notified of new replies

To 2bar map plug and play? (MAF tune)

Quick Reply: 2bar map plug and play? (MAF tune)