C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Cheap Turbo Build way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 Cheap Turbo Build way to go?

Ok cheapest way to turbo the c5 or i guesd the best option would be swap an lq4 and add a small turbo cam with a t76 front mount turbo??
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Cheap and the words turbo, forced induction, supercharger, reliability and corvette do not go together.

Average twin turbo kit price seems to be about 8-10K though.

A quick search on here or google with what you speak of should yield some results that your looking for.

HTH

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 06-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FourG63 97GST (11-02-2022)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Yeah i know FI and cheap dont go together but im really sure you can have a good setup for under 5k
Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I have been thinking about doing a custom front mount for a while. I can't find any information on what headers fit on each side pointed forward (like the fbody guys do). Also I can't find out if we can keep the AC or not.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,262 Likes on 821 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Fastlsvette
Yeah i know FI and cheap dont go together but im really sure you can have a good setup for under 5k
I don't believe 5k will happen. The whole drivetrain will have to be
beefed up, tires, etc, etc............There is a whole can of worms
that you don't want to see. You better start thinking about
doubling your expenses. Listen to those that have already been
down the road..good luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

5 grand and turbo corvette in the same sentence...

I just about fell out of my chair..

A good turbocharger, intercooler, and fuel system will cost you that alone.

Even if you are building this thing yourself, double that budget. Its going to nickle and dime you.

Its not like slapping a front mount on a F-Body.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Originally Posted by breecher_7
5 grand and turbo corvette in the same sentence...

I just about fell out of my chair..

A good turbocharger, intercooler, and fuel system will cost you that alone.

Even if you are building this thing yourself, double that budget. Its going to nickle and dime you.

Its not like slapping a front mount on a F-Body.

why does everyone assume that since its a corvette it has to be double the expense? I mean its the same engine, the computer its not hard to tune so whats so hard about it or lets put it this way whats so different than an f body? You even have more space on the engine bay than an fbody and easier to fit an intercooler in their
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Originally Posted by nullpointer
I have been thinking about doing a custom front mount for a while. I can't find any information on what headers fit on each side pointed forward (like the fbody guys do). Also I can't find out if we can keep the AC or not.

truck manifolds but that deletes your A/C, so im still trying to find more info but doesn't seem the corvette forum is as diverse as the ls1tech one
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

it is feasible to do a DIY kit for a low amount of money, but honestly the UPP kit is the way to go, I have had the kit for a Year and the only problem i have is traction. i still have A/C, and power steering and all that jazz.

As far as DIY stuff your better off back at the LS1 forums, i havent seen alot of DIY builds on this forum
Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
it is feasible to do a DIY kit for a low amount of money, but honestly the UPP kit is the way to go, I have had the kit for a Year and the only problem i have is traction. i still have A/C, and power steering and all that jazz.

As far as DIY stuff your better off back at the LS1 forums, i havent seen alot of DIY builds on this forum
wow just looked it up its not bad at all, see if you could build this yourself, you could save some money I mean if they can do it, why can't you? just find a reputable welder and show him the design at least from where I'm at , that's how we see it
Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

why does everyone assume that since its a corvette it has to be double the expense? I mean its the same engine, the computer its not hard to tune so whats so hard about it or lets put it this way whats so different than an f body? You even have more space on the engine bay than an fbody and easier to fit an intercooler in their

And if you think you have more room in a C5 then you do in a F-Body you are sadly mistaken. You can fit a big turbo right in front of the water pump on a F-Body, you wont be doing that with a C5.

The "double the cost" has nothing to do with it just because its a "corvette" it has to do with it because everything about the cars design makes running a turbo system more difficult. The fuel system alone is FAR more complicated then a F-Body.

But what the hell do I know, ive only fabbed up a few turbo systems over the years.

Good Luck, Post up Pictures as you go.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Originally Posted by breecher_7
And if you think you have more room in a C5 then you do in a F-Body you are sadly mistaken. You can fit a big turbo right in front of the water pump on a F-Body, you wont be doing that with a C5.

The "double the cost" has nothing to do with it just because its a "corvette" it has to do with it because everything about the cars design makes running a turbo system more difficult. The fuel system alone is FAR more complicated then a F-Body.

But what the hell do I know, ive only fabbed up a few turbo systems over the years.

Good Luck, Post up Pictures as you go.

Ok well then is that the reason that people go S/C on the vettes? Ok and i knew they have two fuel pumps, so the fuel return lines and how the fue systeml works is really hard?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Ok well then is that the reason that people go S/C on the vettes?
Yes x 10000. The centri supercharger is the easiest FI to mount in a c5.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Ok well then is that the reason that people go S/C on the vettes? Ok and i knew they have two fuel pumps, so the fuel return lines and how the fue systeml works is really hard?
They have one fuel pump from the factory. They have a Siphon Jet pump that works like an eductor in the passenger side tank that transfers fuel from one tank to another, it is not electric. It uses fuel pressure from the primary pump to create suction.

There are a few tried and true fuel systems out there for these cars, none of them are cheap. Expect to spend around $1500 to do it right. (pump, lines, rails, regulator) It can be done cheaper but the fuel system is not a place to cut corners in my opinion.

Centri blowers are by far the easiest form of F/I for these cars, they are also VERY affordable and give great results. Both A&A and ECS offer outstanding complete kits in the $5-6K range last time I checked.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

A single would certainly be cheaper than twins, but $5k I doubt. Maybe if you weren't messing with the engine, and already had any fuel and driveline mods to support, and use parts from China.

FWIW, I just fitted a CTS-V a/c compressor and bracket to mine and gained a lot of room to the manifold. Took a bit of grinding on the compressor tabs, but not anywhere that it matters. Just knocking down the casting some. Some of the cast manifolds might fit with that compressor as it sits closer to the block and the body is a much smaller diameter. Still though, if you do that to fit a manifold then go ahead and throw in the new compressor/bracket/lines/dryer/Freon/etc. and it all adds back up again.

Cheap and FI, particularly turbo, just don't mix. Mindset needs to be more like "I'm going to build a custom turbo kit and hemorrhage cash until it's done".
Old 06-17-2013, 06:44 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

wow just looked it up its not bad at all, see if you could build this yourself, you could save some money I mean if they can do it, why can't you? just find a reputable welder and show him the design at least from where I'm at , that's how we see it
If you have the tools, ability, and 100+ hrs to spare, sure go for it! But the second that you say "reputable welder", generally they don't work for free (trust me, mine cost me a hefty penny)! Generally with any TT setup we do, we have EASILY $10-$15K in R&D alone. You buy an abundance of material that you won't use, just to have it cause you won't really know what you'll need till you're in there, and 1/2 of everything you do will need to be redone because something somewhere else won't fit. Then tack on that you're paying a "reputable welder" for his time.... I'd say doubling the cost isn't even close to what it will really cost.

But then that still isn't DIY, cause you aren't really doing it, you're still paying someone else to. So that would be classified more as a "custom one-off kit" which tend to cost MUCH more than a prefabbed kit.

Now if you have a mig welder, some piping laying around, and really don't care what it looks like, give it a whirl! It's really not rocket science, exhaust in, exhaust out, air in, air out!

Name:  welding-1.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS

You guys are making great progress on my stage 2 kit

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Cheap Turbo Build way to go?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
Now if you have a mig welder, some piping laying around, and really don't care what it looks like, give it a whirl! It's really not rocket science, exhaust in, exhaust out, air in, air out!

OMG that is nice stuff right there!

To the OP...

If you are starting with a basic car...it will run you much more than 5K.

I just built my fuel system about 9 months ago...ran me close to 2000. Now that is to support close to 1000RWHP but trust me, you are going to want good fuel with a turbo. Not sure of your power goals but anything over 600RWHP and a 255 with a BAP is not going to cut it. At the very least...plan on spending around 1200...at the LEAST.

You also have to take in to account the tuning that will be required...that will be about $500. If you tune yourself, congrats. I believe HP Tuners runs $650. What about other boltons? I'll be nice here and say, an extra 1000...even though we both know you will spend much more than that.

So we are up to about $2700 bucks for the bare minimum you will need to accompany your turbo. That leaves you with $2300 to buy a turbo, I/C, all the piping, fab work, labor, and other nickel and dime stuff. I think you know that is not going to be possible.

If you want other boltons like a different cam, intake, exhaust, sticky tires...add about 2500 on top of that.

So, for a couple more K, you can by a nice TT setup from a proven shop and have piece of mind.

EDIT: If you build a BAP/255/Injector fuel system...that alone will run $850...just an FYI (and it will not be usable over 600RWHP).

Last edited by Y2KRoadster; 06-17-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want the cheapest way to add a lot of power, supercharging is the best way.

If you have your heart set on turbo, the UPP kit is the cheapest, or browse the For Sale section in the forum. You'd be surprised how often a used turbo or supercharger kit gets put up for sale. A lot of guys are converting their C5's back to stock and parting out their mods to upgrade to a C6 or C7.

If you do some real hard searching, you can find cheaper DIY ways to do things... especially fuel. It seems on this forum a lot of the cheap solutions are downplayed so that the vendors can sell their kits.

If you're handy and crafty you can make it work. But just be aware its a lot of work. You have to beef up the drivetrain, redo the PCV, add more gauges, upgrade fuel, upgrade wheels/tires, and beef up or get a new engine if you want real, semi-reliable power. Not to mention tuning and it would be wise to put a higher flow exhaust on.

You're already on the right track with the LQ9. Good luck
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Cheap and the words turbo, forced induction, supercharger, reliability and corvette do not go together.

Average twin turbo kit price seems to be about 8-10K though.

A quick search on here or google with what you speak of should yield some results that your looking for.

HTH
5,k for a set up on turbo,s.

Quick Reply: C5 Cheap Turbo Build way to go?